Weaker singnals from 2E in Western Sweden

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
I have noticed gradually weaker signals from 2E here in Gothenburg since July. Meanwhile, 2F seems fairly stable and stronger than 2E. When 2E came into service in February, it was significantly weaker than 2F. In late spring and early Summer, it was almost as strong as 2F. Now it is becoming weaker again. Seems like I have to replace the HD 8PSK channels from 2E with SD channels in the pre-programming of my receiver if this continues. According to my observations, unlike the 2F, the signals from 2E flucuate significantly over time. Both seasonally and during the course of a day.

What could be the reason for such significant fluctuation? I guess that we see some sun outage every day at noon? Yesterday, the BBC two HD also disappeared at 12:30 a.m.. My observations have at least partly been confirmed by bema's logging. Another thread discusses that the signal is now stronger than before from 2E in Southern Portugal. I guess that something has changed slightly and that has an impact to the footprint.

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Can confirm that it has become more difficult in south east Sweden as well. In spring I was able to watch all of the 28E HD-channels, also in drizzle. Now I have difficulties with watching the SD-channels in similar weather conditions. On one of the satellites, the skew has changed too. If I want to obtain the best SNR, I have to skew the LNB way off "zero". OMG, am I tired of this....?? :(

Last edited:

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
My Location
I did loose some of the 2F channels temporarily in July. That was because of interference from data channels on 2A. Once I had adjusted the skew of my lnb, that problem was gone. Steffan_st, did the skew actually change at one point? Has the signal strength gotten weaker for both 2E and 2F at your location?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
Since I had lost signal over some time I re-checked my system for issues. I also checked the skew and it was by then I discovered that the skew had changed. I'm 100% certain.

Yes Fredrik, both 2E and 2F have become weaker at my location.

Last edited:

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
Around 2,5 dB margin on HD channels and a bit more on the SD ones here.
A few weather related dropouts but only during heavy rainfall over large areas
between me and 2E. SD channels often remain OK but with reduced signal.

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Waveguide, seems like you are doing better than me and Steffan_st. Have you observed any changes to the signal strength in recent months? Differences between 2E and 2F?

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
Today 2F is a few thenths lower perhaps. I adjust my dish to get the same levels from both
2E and 2F instead of maximizing one or the other.

Waveguide

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish and box
My Location
North
... forgot the changes over time. Levels are a tiny bit better now compared to
a few months ago when the minimum for the last six months occurred.

edit - sprelling errers

A

archive10

sorry, but i haven't noticed any differences.
I change dish-setup far too often to have a reliable set of measurements ;)

Neverthelss, you are slightly more into the positive part of the side lobe, so you should have better reception than me. but you are
probably also that much closer to the edge with your 110cm Triaxes, so you will notice any variation right away.
So - get a slightly bigger dish, and you should be ok. :)

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
st1, maybe I should look into the possibility of getting a larger dish. I will probably wait until the 2g comes into play, I guess a small adjustment of the location of the satellites and signal footprints may either be favorable or very unfavorable (in case the null line moves to the east). For us, the fact that we get fairly stable signal from 2f is the most important for now. A larger dish should give us more weather and sun outage margin on 2f as well. Perhaps a Gibertini 125 should do it if the signal strength stabilizes at current levels?

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
I actually ordered a Gibertini OP 125 from HM-sat, Munich early this summer. After a few days I recieved an e-mail from them saying that the shipping would be an additional 305 Euros (!). They were asking how I wanted them to proceed, and ofc I cancelled. So I didn't get a Gibby, but lost some 8 Euros because I had payed with credit card!

Bying the Gibby 125 in Sweden is out of the question btw, it's ridiculously expensive.

Guess there are other webshops in northern Germany that can provide the dish with a more reasonable shipping cost, but there is one problem though, they take no responsability for shipping damage.

Anyway, think it would be wise to wait until the 2G is settled.

I started hunting the Beeb's in 2003 (?) with a Triax 90, then a Gibertini OP 100L, after that a Fibo 90 and now Nokia 110. Garage is now crammed with dishes.:p

Clown man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28,2 & 19,2 on Gibby 150cm ..2x Opticum Premium LNB's....Opticum 5x12 Multiswitch....Humax Freesat HDR's custom FW ...Pioneer Kuro & Panasonic Viera W60 Plasma tv's
My Location
Munich.....Germany......
Signals from 2E and the weaker 2F....currently at the highest i can remember....here in Munich.......On the Gibby 150 all at a very easy daytime 100Q...2E probably at 120Q....evening 80-90Q.....on my old redundant 100cm with no name LNB...( on the roof).. aligned to 2D..... daytime good at 70Q...........(signal readings from Humax Freesat).....

I feel for you guys in Sweden.......but just a Dish upgrade will solve your current signal loss problems..........has anyone any ideas why the 2F and 2E beam seems to have moved southwards...?...

I have seen reports on another forum..(site name rhymes with lob's ) ... from Northern Italy ..the signal has also improved a lot ......

Last edited:

cazhh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 180cm, Invacom Quad with Gib Feedhorn, 28.2 + 19.2, dreambox & tbs5922
My Location
Elmshorn, Schleswig-Holstein
Signals from 2E and the weaker 2F....currently at the highest i can remember....here in Munich.......On the Gibby 150 all at a very easy daytime 100Q...2E probably at 120Q....evening 80-90Q.....on my old redundant 100cm with no name LNB...( on the roof).. aligned to 2D..... daytime good at 70Q...........(signal readings from Humax Freesat).....

I feel for you guys in Sweden.......but just a Dish upgrade will solve your current signal loss problems..........has anyone any ideas why the 2F and 2E beam seems to have moved southwards...?...

I have seen reports on another forum..(site name rhymes with lob's ) ... from Northern Italy ..the signal has also improved a lot ......

Nice name ;)

It's wintertime. It happened last year at almost the same time. (+- 3 days)

minmaxorsy1.jpg

min and max SNR values for 2F since july 2013.

cazhh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Guess there are other webshops in northern Germany that can provide the dish with a more reasonable shipping cost, but there is one problem though, they take no responsability for shipping damage.

There's an outlet here nearby Hamburg which is now an official distributor for Skyware (aka Andrews) dishes. I've been there and they seemed to be pretty business oriented, ie helpful. http://www.max-technologies.de/
If you have made a decision it might be worth a try to ask them. The andrews dishes should be better than the gibbys.

A

archive10

I actually ordered a Gibertini OP 125 from HM-sat, Munich early this summer. After a few days I recieved an e-mail from them saying that the shipping would be an additional 305 Euros (!). They were asking how I wanted them to proceed, and ofc I cancelled. So I didn't get a Gibby, but lost some 8 Euros because I had payed with credit card!

Bying the Gibby 125 in Sweden is out of the question btw, it's ridiculously expensive.

Anyway, think it would be wise to wait until the 2G is settled.

I started hunting the Beeb's in 2003 (?) with a Triax 90, then a Gibertini OP 100L, after that a Fibo 90 and now Nokia 110. Garage is now crammed with dishes.:p
I can probably get you a (new) Gibby 125 for a reasonable price if you are still interested. Depends on delivery.
Can you PM with your swedish whereabouts, we might even be able to sort out a half-way meeting...

Alternatively, I can also sort something out CM120-wise, let's discuss.

A

archive10

Nice name ;)

It's wintertime. It happened last year at almost the same time. (+- 3 days)

[image deleted]

min and max SNR values for 2F since july 2013.
Hey Cazhh, Appreciate the info, but please upload pics straight to this site.
Just clicked on your image and had a sh*tstorm of adware flash over my browser window. Apparently you are using some uplaod site with advertising copied in.
Not necessary, you can just upload to this site.
Thanks.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I've edited cazhh's post with an uploaded image directly to site.

cazhh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sorry about that. i use an adblocker, so i don't see what this server is sending. i usually post on several forums and just use the links. Many forums don't allow image upload, but next time i'll post here i will try not to forget to upload directly.