What coax do you use

R

Rd100

Just out of intrest

I always use good qulity RG6 (CT100 is a united kingdom name for RG6) with a pure copper core and pure copper braid and if it is to go out side it should have a PE (polyethylene) sheath not pvc like most cheap ct100 & rg6 have,

For my own install's i alway carry high qulity televes RG6 and RG11:-worship & ANDREW corp heliax RG-6 which is the best in the world for cable's £350 per 250m roll's in bulk order it is not cheap but the best ask any broadcast or satellite engineer,

Plus i alway carry a heavy-gauge underground version of both RG6 & RG11 which is petrol-jelly flooding compound filling (PJ) interposed between the braid and the PE sheath and used for underground installation which i alway use, The about of times i have seen cheap rg6 or ct100 just laid in the ground,

Site Services

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised 1.2M Fibo looking between 45E - 60W, TM9100 Receiver running EDG-Nemesis 3.2 in flash
My Location
Wolverhampton
I've just installed my first motorised system and have used HYC100. In reality, I'm not sure how good it is but it looks the part.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
webro wf100 for my own system

R

Rd100

It make me laugh when people think CT100 is better than RG6, CT100 is a name that came about in 1997 for sky installers so they know what cable to use, If you went in to a satelllite store in USA or japan or south america and ask for CT100 they would just look at you:confused

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that is very true, but on the other hand, if you go into a satellite store/wholesaler in the UK and ask for RG6, it will not be copper on copper quality cable they offer, it will be a cheap substitute with alu' foil and steel braid and it is this cable which people compare with CT100, not the US version.

I use Webro WF100 and WF125, as I like the performance, the general characteristics of the cable (foam dialectric) and the fact that it can be prepared with standard tools very easily for connectors.

I have been testing the new Antiference 5540F (cable in a box) and whilst I have no issues with the performance and the reel in a box idea, for connector preparation it is pants. The outer is too flexible (kinking in the trimming tool) and the dialectric bonds to the core, making removal difficult and the slightest twist will break the core. The second 300m box I have will be returned next week. :)

PS. The cable I used to use a lot, was Bieffe C010R, a superb cable, all copper, with foam dialectric and easily prepared for connectors, but unfortunately, I can only use it on big contracts, as I have to buy it direct in bulk, as none of the wholesalers sell it.

R

Rd100

That what i am taking about cheap rg-6 like you know rolf i live near televes uk and get good deals there on high qulity RG6 not the £12 per 100m roll junk,

Do you use snap & seal F-con's rolf i use thomas & betts and PPC one's myself and also use crimp's now and then,

satellite wholesalers in the uk are getting worse every year, lucky for me i have televes uk not far and below my house is a farm and past there is a factory that make's cable i have had some from there in the past it is next to the factory that makes steel and does me good deal on steel poles

rolfw said:
Yes, that is very true, but on the other hand, if you go into a satellite store/wholesaler in the UK and ask for RG6, it will not be copper on copper quality cable they offer, it will be a cheap substitute with alu' foil and steel braid and it is this cable which people compare with CT100, not the US version.

I use Webro WF100 and WF125, as I like the performance, the general characteristics of the cable (foam dialectric) and the fact that it can be prepared with standard tools very easily for connectors.

I have been testing the new Antiference 5540F (cable in a box) and whilst I have no issues with the performance and the reel in a box idea, for connector preparation it is pants. The outer is too flexible (kinking in the trimming tool) and the dialectric bonds to the core, making removal difficult and the slightest twist will break the core. The second 300m box I have will be returned next week. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have not used snap n seal as of yet, but have ordered some, I mostly use high quality crimps, or the better quality (not the cheap ones) screw connectors, really depends what the job is and whether the plug is likely to have to come off again. ;)

R

Rd100

have your got the tool to fit them there are a few type of compression tools you can get some only do rg-6 some only do rg-11 some do both if you need advise on what tool to get and where to get it from i can help,

here is some info on thomas and betts SNS

http://www-public.tnb.com/contractor/docs/snapnseal.pdf

rolfw said:
I have not used snap n seal as of yet, but have ordered some, I mostly use high quality crimps, or the better quality (not the cheap ones) screw connectors, really depends what the job is and whether the plug is likely to have to come off again. ;)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
arh so there is two versions of rg6 cable as i thought it was rubbish and was the stuff to use on tv aerials

seems sky installers use h109f coax cable for installs

whats the best cable to use then ?

R

Rd100

:-worship Andrews heliax are some of the best cable's in the world:-worship ,

wod said:
arh so there is two versions of rg6 cable as i thought it was rubbish and was the stuff to use on tv aerials

seems sky installers use h109f coax cable for installs

whats the best cable to use then ?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
for general installs to use something like wf100 or what ?

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Kathrein LCD111 cable, one of the best in the world.

Triple shielded more than >120dB shield.

R

Rd100

For standard install i would use televes RG6 OR CT100 or webro WF100 for any thing over 40m or low signal i would use RG11 or WF125

wod said:
for general installs to use something like wf100 or what ?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
will using better quality cable improve reception signal strength ?

also is it ok to mix cable types like wf100 to hf109f or vice versa ?

R

Rd100

Talking of coax cable's any one ever notice the old brown tv coax fron the 1950's/ 1960's seems very think and high qulity i have seen it on job's in the past and had some on my house when i moved in

R

Rd100

if it is a weak signal best to use rg11 or wf 125 and no joins in the cable apart from a grounding block but if no signal problems it is ok to have a join or two

wod said:
will using better quality cable improve reception signal strength ?

also is it ok to mix cable types like wf100 to hf109f or vice versa ?

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
just asking as fitted a quad to a minidish and used wf100 cable and the difference was noticeable over the original feed which used ct100

as i thought the dish and lnb was more important seems quality cable it also

R

Rd100

That cable would be fine what mini dish are you useing 43cm or 60cm version i find the sky quad lnb for the mini dishes put's to much weight on the arm and knock's the focal point right out, I will be changeing my 43cm sky mini dish for anormal 60cm dish and quad or octo soon well got the dish just got to put it up

wod said:
just asking as fitted a quad to a minidish and used wf100 cable and the difference was noticeable over the original feed which used ct100

as i thought the dish and lnb was more important seems quality cable it also

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
the dish is a 43cm one in west yorkshire which probably is wrong size and the signal level is nearly full on the wf 100 feed whereas its 3/4 on the ct100 feed

R

Rd100

Where i am should be a zone 2 as think zone 1 is a bit to small as in south wales you can get bad rain fade, But all i see is zone 1's about i only ever see zone 2 mini dishes on pubs so they do not get rain fade problem's,

wod said:
the dish is a 43cm one in west yorkshire which probably is wrong size and the signal level is nearly full on the wf 100 feed whereas its 3/4 on the ct100 feed