What equipment do you need to search for feeds?

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Normal computer, Sky satellite
I want to be able to find feeds which arent listed by other people

How do I go about finding them and what equipment do I need? I currently have a motorised dish and a Quali-tv box (which will show me 422 and 420 feeds)

I know very little about this, so please excuse the rather vague posting

Thanks

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, the questin is vague, almost like saying "I want to see something that isn't there", though not quite!

Obviously, you must be able to:

1) receive some satellites ...... (!).

However, then, anything there is likely to get listed - fairly quickly - on Internet satellite listings, eg, -www.satcodx.com etc .

2) Find stuff, so some sort of scanning on your receiver, for everything then presumably "entirely blind scan", only a few receivers do that!

Presumably, you'd want to catch occasional broadcaster downlinks - where not encrypted - many are 4:2:2 mpeg2 format, only some receivers can cope with that.

3) for a "continous scan" of the satellites you can get, then you need a motorised dish and some sort of "search strategy", hence some computer programming required! Best done with a computer oriented sat receiver, eg Dreambox (uses Linux!), or maybe a plugin pci card sat receiver.

Note that, once you've "found" something, then most satellite broadcasting is encrypted, in different systems ......

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thanks for such a detailed reply

At the moment i can receive the normal satellites from about 40W to 27E.

I am aware of sites which list feeds, but I'm concerned that some sites do not list certain important feeds which the users listing feeds do not want to give away to everyone else. This is definitely the case during Grand Slam tennis events

I can get all of the 4:2:2 feeds without any problem on my receiver at the moment

I dont think i need the constant scan, as I'd only be looking for feeds maybe 3 or 4 times per week, when I cant find the ones that I want listed

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
You're welcome, but the reply was entirely general, all that the question allowed, and I still have no idea what you want to do!

Don't know what scan modes the Quali has, you'll have to look in instructions, but I don't think you can drive it through a port via software.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Easiest ( and quickest ) way is to use a spectrum analyser that is able to work out the data from within the signals that are found on each satellite, and then inputting the data within a decent DVB receiver.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
... or buy a Triple Dragon STB and use the spectrum analyser function included in the menu. A little basic, but cheaper O-Ha

Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Not sure how useful such a pictorial display is, since to get any channels you also need the symbol and error code rates.

Presumaby, "everything" includes all HDTV too!

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Well, I did say it was basic. OK for a quick check on a range of your favourite satellite feed transponder frequencies to see if they're open. You can set a start and end frequency range to spread a particular band to show more clearly any feeds.

A downside of course is that the IFs have to be converted to actual TP values though, but hey, it's a free plug-in O-Ha

Llew

tyshaunty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
spiney

What I am looking to do is look for sports feeds. I want to be able to do a search through certain satellites to tell me if there is a sports feed on them, and then let me see what it is so I can tell if its the one I want. Does that make sense?