What makes a good dish a great dish?

Muddywellies

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 Moteck SG2100A TM6900HDCombo Invacom SNH-031.
PC stuff nothing special.
My Location
N. Devon, UK
Obviously price is an indicator of sorts, you get what you pay for. Right? But what should the prospective dish buyer be looking for? Is it high efficiency? Coating material? Costs aside, is a mesh dish inferior/superior or no different to a transparent dish at least so far as reception quality is concerned? And how do either compare with say, an aluminium dish? Then there's construction quality which is something that can't be appreciated on a web page. Pointers anyone?

pooksahib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed Triax dish for Freesat.
My Location
Scotland
Good question. Are any brands of dish particularly recommended?

4dbennett

lifes not a practice run
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SPIDERBOX 9000HD, 1.2 and Humax Foxsat HD,Hitachi L500HDD
Acer Aspire 5315 Lappy
My Location
torfaen south wales
Muddywellies said:
Obviously price is an indicator of sorts, you get what you pay for. Right? But what should the prospective dish buyer be looking for? Is it high efficiency? Coating material? Costs aside, is a mesh dish inferior/superior or no different to a transparent dish at least so far as reception quality is concerned? And how do either compare with say, an aluminium dish? Then there's construction quality which is something that can't be appreciated on a web page. Pointers anyone?

SIZE and LOCATION mate,

regards Dave

deesee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nokia Mediamaster with nokia ACU 8152 positioner. Computer is simple home model
My Location
north yorkshire england
I am using the same dish i started with in 1989, it is an 80cm NEC aluminiumn one, light and rust free, and made to top tolerances, cost me £80 at the time, i suspect it will last longer than me.:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Quality of the parabolic shape, if it is a good one there will be less adjustment at the sharp end.

Additionally the depth of material does make a difference as in high winds an oscillation of a weaker dish will throw off the signal from the feed.

gerryl

Reaction score
tis fittings and wall/mounting brackets - solid - or else ye will have trouble...:confused