What Receiver?

bluedusty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie, Looking to get into the satellite world.
My Location
Dorchester, Dorset
Hello there,

I was looking at getting into the satelllite world but have decided to start small and go with modding my original sat dish with a new quad LNB and get freesat.

My main question is: Am I advised to buy a darkbox or technomate etc and use these as a free to air receiver or just go for a freesat box? I was thinking that the darkbox or technomate would be a better idea for me if I get hooked on this satellite game.

Also is this possible to do on my fixed satellite dish?

Any other advice you have is most welcome and thanks in advance for any advice you do provide

Simon

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well if you want a good Electronic Programme Guide, then a Freesat receiver will be best (in my opinion) and even if you eventually decide to expand onto other satellites, you may be better to have a dedicated Freesat dish and then perhaps a motorised one for other satellites with a separate receiver.

bluedusty

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie, Looking to get into the satellite world.
My Location
Dorchester, Dorset
Cheers for that rolfw.

I am not too worried about EPG as I only use now and next prog.

That is more thinking I have to do now!

Cheers
Again

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well if you get a Humax Foxsat or HDR Freesat receiver, it will do Freesat with the EPG, but also will control a motorised dish OK with USALS, after a bit of messing around in the menus.Not as easy as the Technomates but do-able.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Eurosat in Walsall had quite a few of the Grundig HD Freesat boxes for around £65 although i don't know if that includes VAT or not.

Noticed them when i was in there this morning :D

:-cheers

Nano

mikeisyou

Feed Hunter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon SX88+, Static 1.2m Raven Dish (22w to 33e), Motorized Dish (9e to 52e)
My Location
England
well if you get a technomate you will get all the freesat channels plus free football matches(only possible on a motorized dish) and TNT on Turksat has English language programming. good luck