Which quad lnb?

Tony1A

Never going back to Sky TV. Ever!
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Which to buy? A Smart blue cap quad lnb or Inverto Premium Black quad lnb? Bearing in mind it will only be used on Sky/Freesat.

CHEERS :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Get one of each and report back with the results! :blink:

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HDR1100S Freesat Recorder. Medion HD satellite box with Gibertini 1m motorised dish. Triax TD78 for Freesat. Triax TD64 for Freesat to 3 rooms. 2 Panasonic Freeview+ HD recorders.
My Location
North-East England, UK
Well I do actually have a new Smart Quad blue cap fresh in the box :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Use that one then :)

It really doesnt matter for the strong European satellites, unless you find a receiver doesnt like a particular brand of lnb (its unusual but it does happen)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most modern LNBs are good, I use Black Ultras for my systems, as they tend to scrape a little extra performance out of the dish.

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Today I set up my other TD78 for freesat and used the Smart blue cap and the results are very good :). In fact, I have ordered another one because I like them. I have a Sharp quad but decided not to use that as there does not seem to be much thread for the F connectors. Considering buying a Technomate TM-4 or Inverto Premium quad as well. I have seen other brands like Opticum but don't know much about them at all.

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Why the Inverto Premium, surely the Inverto Black Ultra is "the" lnb to have according to most people!

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Well, considering that it will be only used on Freesat/Sky, maybe getting the black ultra won't make any real difference on strong satellites? I use a single black ultra on the 1m motorised.

Last edited:

Riverblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Near Brighton
Well, considering that it will be only used on Freesat/Sky, maybe getting the black ultra won't make any difference on strong satellites? I use a single black ultra on the 1m motorised.
I get your point, save a few quid as well ;)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
It's not like it's going to be used to pull weak sats. But still looking around at potential buys.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
And my IBU testing single versus quad:-

Inverto ultra black single versus quad signal strength fringe reception astra 1N @28.2E bbc/itv from central southern norway, 100 cm tm dish, tm5204 hdci m2 stb, 5 meter brand new high quality copper braided coax.
Comparison done on the veranda thus could bypass the diseqc motor clear blue sky temp ~+20c, every position ( every 2 mm with skew test left center right ) tried on the long necks ( had hoped the extra longneck on the single would let me find the sweet spot on the dish ) spent 4 hours testing ( dish is mounted head height at the end of the veranda firmly anchored top and bottom ).

Conclusion :-

The quad had a slight edge over the single on all TPs ( 8 ) tested signal strengths on the quad were level 96/97 quality 88/92 the single were level 96/97 quality 85/92.

Also tested a wildcard LNB the Maximum v4 quad 0.2 Db on the same setup and TPs results were level 97 constant quality 90/95.

As you can guess I have left the maximum in place.

Hope this helps ppl with fringe reception.

Regards

Ps. Also tried all the TPs on astra 2F level 97 quality 8 so no lock.

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/black-ultra-twin-single-lnb-comparisons.158837/page-2

Regards

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
Very interesting results guys! I would agree that the Opticum works well with strong satellites. Could be one to look at - cheap price too :)

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
I have decided against the Opticum. May get the Technomate TM-4 instead. :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Personally, I'm not convinced there is much to choose between 40mm Ku Band LNBs these days.

Don't forget none of them have flat Noise, Gain or Cross-polarisation Rejection characteristics across the Band, so comparisons are difficult to make objectively.

But features like long necks are of value as they give a little more scope for optimising an installation.

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
Which to buy? A Smart blue cap quad lnb or Inverto Premium Black quad lnb? Bearing in mind it will only be used on Sky/Freesat.

CHEERS :)

It's not like it's going to be used to pull weak sats. But still looking around at potential buys.

Well, considering that it will be only used on Freesat/Sky, maybe getting the black ultra won't make any real difference on strong satellites? I use a single black ultra on the 1m motorised.

Why are you being so fickle with your choice of quad LNBs for strong sats?

Regards

Tony1A

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North-East England, UK
It's me Skomedal! :) I have been like this my whole life. I'm very fussy about things and they have to be just right or else I'm not a happy bunny. LOL

skomedal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
This and that
My Location
thule
It's me Skomedal! :) I have been like this my whole life. I'm very fussy about things and they have to be just right or else I'm not a happy bunny. LOL

Strongly think my intended reply will be censored, so will refrain.

Good luck in your search for the perfect LNB that fits your criteria for Sky/Freesat reception from your location.

Regards