Why is Ireland so averse to anyone receiving RTE outside of Ireland?

COF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital receiver, and Manhattan Plaza. 90CM Motorized system.
My Location
UK
For example, all the main UK channels are broadcasted FTA on Astra 28.2E, and I don't think there has ever been even a suggestion of encrypting them, it is just considered a given that they are availabile for free all over Europe.

However, RTE seem to have gone to extraordinary lengths to make sure no one outside of Ireland will be able to receive Irish TV, even to the point of putting the channels on some obscure satellite using some obscure band that requires some obscure LNB and receiver. They seem obsessed with it to the extent they've even discussed the fine details of whether a few people in WALES will be able to receive THEIR signal.

It almost comes across as a bit protectionist, almost as if they're making the statement "These are OUR channels and you foreigners aren't STEALING them".

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Then they'd be right ................. Copyright costs money.

Furthermore, the replacement birds for 28E will continue the push to reduce overspill (albeit not to the extent that is possible with Ka Band, as used by SAORSAT.

And even on Ku Band, RTE is not available without a Card registered to an Irish address.

COF

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital receiver, and Manhattan Plaza. 90CM Motorized system.
My Location
UK
Why doesn't BBC, ITV, Channel 4, etc consider copyright to be a concern considering those channels are blasted FTA all across Europe?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
They do.

The overspill is accounted for in the costs of Rights and when the ageing Satellites were first rendered operational technology was such that it wasn't easy to create spot beams. That's all changing.

Until recently, as capacity issues meant ITV had to shift a few regions off the old Astra 2D, they were then Encrypted.

Now 1N is operational, they're all back (or about to come back) on the "narrow" beam and unencrypted.

They are by no means "blasted all over Europe" - although they are indeed easy catch in some areas, they are nigh on impossible in many other. Big, big dishes and uncertainty about the future.

We have reams and reams of Threads here about Fringe Reception of 28E (especially 1N) - always have, always will.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
COF said:
For example, all the main UK channels are broadcasted FTA on Astra 28.2E, and I don't think there has ever been even a suggestion of encrypting them, it is just considered a given that they are availabile for free all over Europe.

All the main BBC channels were encrypted at ftv level until 2003

In fact the BBC used to provide ftv cards (solus cards)!

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
If satellite service providers had their way ..All countries and borders would be circular ..as this would make 'containing' the overspill to a bare minumum easy
The way things are going they may well get their way..
No they can't re-shape land masses but could conceivably cover any landmass with a plethora of smaller spot beams.
Sadly this is the way things are heading ..as they now control the tech to shape or contour the broadcast area ..
When they do ..our 'satellite' world will shrink ...and our hobby will effectively come to an end ..
Sure they will never totally close overspill borders ..but they can close them down to dissipate quickly and reduce overspill to mere 10s of miles ..instead of 100s if not thousands as it was back in the days of Cband Analogue.
rgds
VS

JOHN896

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 2.4m Dish Fixed On 9.0 East Ka Band.Channel Master 1.2m Dish.Satellite Reception From,53.0E-45.0W.
My Location
Swansea Uk
It`s so easy these days to get a sky second hand contract,wait for the card to come in the post then use the royal mail postcode finder.Add a house number or flat number to a street in northern ireland,ring sky up tell them you have moved address give them a postcode and a made up house number or flat number.If they say it`s not coming up on there system tell them it`s a new build,they manually add the address
rte one,rte two and tg4 get turned on in a few minutes.

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
Analoguesat said:
All the main BBC channels were encrypted at ftv level until 2003

In fact the BBC used to provide ftv cards (solus cards)!
!!

Anybody got a solus card? Thats some t.v. history there.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Don't forget there's only about 6 million people in Ireland whereas there's over 60 million in the UK. For RTE that's a huge increase in potential overspill (seen from the copyright holders point of view).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ghostleader said:
!!

Anybody got a solus card? Thats some t.v. history there.

I think they were just standard ftv cards. I doubt they are distinguishable from the Sky issued ones unless someone has a list of the serial numbers issued.

excollier

Bikes, Booze, Rock & Blues
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TD 64 and Humax Foxsat HDR with Raydon's custom firmware
My Location
County Donegal - furthest outpost of the EUSSR
You're not missing a fat lot anyway, unless you are an Irish homesick ex-pat.
And TV3 & 3e won't be on Saorsat as it stands at the moment, so three channels at most, with a lot of Uk and American content.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Another related issue is Sports.

In the UK, Premier Sports have the rights to all GAA and other sports etc. shown on RTE, Setanta, TV4 etc. (they even keep the logos on their channel) so that is another reason.