Will the old Sky Cards be cut off

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
ralphmagno said:
[size=-2]hello ziggyblue
i just read your information again and i understood.
is the sky spain charging you the standard sky rate?
if for example the full package is 40 pounds a month and the charge is 40 per month and its still working then keep going with that.
unless the spanish guys are charging you extra per year to maintain the account.
you would get for examle 40 per month sky charge and 100 pounds spanish store charge per year.
or they probally charge a set up fee and sky does a monthly fee.
how much are they charging per month??

want to give you as much info as possible to help
ralph:)[/size]

He can't Ralph, as the old card he has will expire in the near future and he has no way of obtaining the replacement card, it will be sitting on a doormat somewhere in the UK.

Love Dave's solution, should see the continuous payment closed pronto.:)

On the Credit card continuous payment, have been caught a couple of times with automatic renewals and managed to get them credited, so will no longer use a credit card to pay for ongoing payments. It is ludicrous that a third party can continue withdrawing money from your account, even when you have requested that it stop.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
ralphmagno said:
the guys in spain used your visa under another name.
:)

Absolute and utter rubbish.....the card cannot be used under another name, the very essence of card holder not present authorisations is a combination of card holder name, address, postcode and 3 digit security number, what you are suggesting cannot take place, the transaction will be rejected by the authorisation centre. If the card is from the UK it is subject to UK authorisation controls, wherever and however it is used

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Let this be a warning to all our members. Continuous Credit Authorisations (basically direct debits on a credit card) are an extremely nasty trick which the punter cannot cancel - only the company at the sharp end of the payment can cancel it!

wannabee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo with 1TB HDD, Vu+ Solo with 500GB HDD, Dm7025 with 80GB HDD & 1m Triax
Advent 9415 lappy
My Location
Co. Tyrone
Topper said:
Absolute and utter rubbish.....the card cannot be used under another name, the very essence of card holder not present authorisations is a combination of card holder name, address, postcode and 3 digit security number, what you are suggesting cannot take place, the transaction will be rejected by the authorisation centre. If the card is from the UK it is subject to UK authorisation controls, wherever and however it is used

Hi Topper..

Chip and pin.. IE CVN = 3 digit # is still only available in the UK.. The 3 digit # on the back of your card does not exist in mainland Europe.. So this is probably what the problem is..

I deal with minland Europe week in and week out with credit and debit cards.. and they aint got a clue about the 3 digit # CVN on the back of your card

They still only deal with your 16 digit # and your expiry date..

ziggyblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Spain
Analoguesat said:
Let this be a warning to all our members. Continuous Credit Authorisations (basically direct debits on a credit card) are an extremely nasty trick which the punter cannot cancel - only the company at the sharp end of the payment can cancel it!

The really annoying thing is that I had heard of this on a credit card which is why I refused to give them my credit card only my debit card from which I wanted a direct debit mandate from. Without my permission or knowledge exactly the same thing happened on my debit card. The big number on the front of the card was taken not the sort code or the account number. With that they were able to make this into a continuous payment.

The box is now linked to the original Sky card and can only be cancelled by Sky it appears. As I see it the only solution is to buy a new sky plus box to link the new "legit" card to. However, I still haven´t managed to get the bank to stop the payment and will therefore end up paying for Sky twice, i.e. 96 GBP a month instead of 48 GBP.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
wannabee said:
... 3 digit # is still only available in the UK.. The 3 digit # on the back of your card does not exist in mainland Europe...

...They still only deal with your 16 digit # and your expiry date...
Well whether they use it or not I must disagree with you about its existence.

I have a Credit Agricole card in my wallet and it most definitely has a three digit security number on the back on the signature strip.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
wannabee said:

Not quite correct.......For standard payment by credit/debit card transactions in Europe with your own credit card in person yes I agree for card holder not present transactions which is the only way the transaction under discussion could have taken place they also require the correct name and address which was the very basis of my objections to those comments by Ralphmango because they cannot just make up any old name even in mighty Europe. I am well aware of the lower level of security in Europe and indeed the USA for that matter unfortunately I am also aware that chip and pin is not the solution. Indeed chip and pin introduces a further set of problems such as wives borrowing husbands cards having discovered the pin in his wallet. This is part of the reason fingerprint technology will be introduced as soon as it is possible and affordable for the industry

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
wannabee said:
The 3 digit # on the back of your card does not exist in mainland Europe..
this is so NOT TRUE.
my mastercard has had a 3 digit CVS on it's back for ages. In fact this got me into trouble with Sky last year when I got a new mastercard last year - I hadn't noticed that the CSV number had changed, and found out that my SKY payments were being rejected by the credit card company. I had to phone them and give them the new 3-digit code on the back of my card - my entitlements had already ran out - luckally I was able to reactivate my payments without toom uch a hassle.....

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello again
the possibility of using 5 pr 6 sky cards under diffrent names using the same
credit cards is and has been done for 20 years.
i know of 3 or 4 people who showed this to me a few years back.
as far as ziggyblue's problem there is sky boxes sold on e-bay all the time.
he could cancell the visa card and 8 days after sky shuts down the card he could say he bought a used box on e-bay and get the new card paired to the old box.
the bank will not stop sky from taking the payment out.
after the old card shuts down there has been so may box sales over the last 10 years it is unreal.
most people buy boxes and never know who the seller is.
more than likley the card is not in ziggyblue's name.
the spanish used a uk address were someone has a fake name.
does ziggy have the original mailing folder from sky with his name on it??

probally not.
unless he has the original sky folder with his name on it it would have the uk postel code on it as well.

the guy in spain has a uk agent who used his credit information under a fake name with a uk address.

they charge a yearly fee of 100 pounds and then sky automaticly takes out the 48 pounds.
if ziggyblue has a new white card he will be good to go for 5 to 8 years.
or untill sky issues a new card.
if he is still running the old blue card it will stop soon.
if the spanish closed down the card provider then he will not have any more admin charges from the spanish dealers anymore or untill they get the files back.
i say to mr ziggyblue if you have a new white card and its working than go with it. when it stops working thats when you need to sort it out.

keep us informed
ralph:)

ziggyblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Spain
ralphmagno said:
hello again
the possibility of using 5 pr 6 sky cards under diffrent names using the same
credit cards is and has been done for 20 years.
i know of 3 or 4 people who showed this to me a few years back.
as far as ziggyblue's problem there is sky boxes sold on e-bay all the time.
he could cancell the visa card and 8 days after sky shuts down the card he could say he bought a used box on e-bay and get the new card paired to the old box.
the bank will not stop sky from taking the payment out.
after the old card shuts down there has been so may box sales over the last 10 years it is unreal.
most people buy boxes and never know who the seller is.
more than likley the card is not in ziggyblue's name.
the spanish used a uk address were someone has a fake name.
does ziggy have the original mailing folder from sky with his name on it??

probally not.
unless he has the original sky folder with his name on it it would have the uk postel code on it as well.

the guy in spain has a uk agent who used his credit information under a fake name with a uk address.

they charge a yearly fee of 100 pounds and then sky automaticly takes out the 48 pounds.
if ziggyblue has a new white card he will be good to go for 5 to 8 years.
or untill sky issues a new card.
if he is still running the old blue card it will stop soon.
if the spanish closed down the card provider then he will not have any more admin charges from the spanish dealers anymore or untill they get the files back.
i say to mr ziggyblue if you have a new white card and its working than go with it. when it stops working thats when you need to sort it out.

keep us informed

I haven´t a new white card working.... I have a new white card but it cannot be teamed with my box as the old blue card is still working because the bank won´t stop paying Sky. The old Spanish company were taking 150 euros out of my bank for maintenance but as they are no longer in existence that has stopped. Also the frightening thing is how your bank details are handed around to people you haven´t given authorisation to.

wannabee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo with 1TB HDD, Vu+ Solo with 500GB HDD, Dm7025 with 80GB HDD & 1m Triax
Advent 9415 lappy
My Location
Co. Tyrone
JTA said:
The 3 digit # on the back of your card does not exist in mainland Europe..

this is so NOT TRUE.

Sorry.. I will clarify this as i did not put my point across properly..

The 3 digit # is on the back of all cards.. but it is not asked for on mainland Europe..

At least with the sellers that i use..

I also have a credit card terminal for my business and unless the 3 digit CVV # is used.. the transaction fails..

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hi,
ok you have a new card is it on another credit card other than the old blue card.? if not
you should put the new white card on another bank card.
then cancell the old card or have the bank issue a new card with a new number,
when you see a message please call this number and they block your card
wait a few days and call them up and say you bought a used box on e-bay and you want the new card mated up with the used box you bought on e-bay.
the unknown guy you bought the box from you don't know.
this old card is under mr unknown.
it is more than likely not in your name.
or just weight until jan 2010 when more than likely the old card shuts down and have someone call them in the uk that set up this new white card.
give them all the box and id information and that should work.
if you call them from spain they may see caller id and not set you up.
thanks for the update

ziggyblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Spain
ralphmagno said:
hi,
ok you have a new card is it on another credit card other than the old blue card.? if not
you should put the new white card on another bank card.
then cancell the old card or have the bank issue a new card with a new number,
when you see a message please call this number and they block your card
wait a few days and call them up and say you bought a used box on e-bay and you want the new card mated up with the used box you bought on e-bay.
the unknown guy you bought the box from you don't know.
this old card is under mr unknown.
it is more than likely not in your name.
or just weight until jan 2010 when more than likely the old card shuts down and have someone call them in the uk that set up this new white card.
give them all the box and id information and that should work.
if you call them from spain they may see caller id and not set you up.
thanks for the update

The old bank card was out of date and I cancelled it and the account it was linked to but the bank just took the money from a different account I hold.

terryashbyash

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skybox F3 for fta/28.2E
inverto black ultra lnb
1m offset
My Location
Gandia, Spain
ziggyblue said:
Nope Ralph, it doesn´t work that way. I paid what I thought was a direct debit but in reality it was a "continuous payment" which they can take for ever and a day. I actually closed the account it was coming from and the bank without my say so switched it to another account. I have yelled I have sworn but they will not cancel it.
Sadly spanish banks cannot be trusted so close all accounts and swap to deutche bank, all uk banks in spain abide by spanish rules and are crap over here, also germans speak english

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello again.
you have a spanish credit card a visa, you cancelled the card and they issued a new card with a new number and sky in the uk is still taking the money out.
who gave them the new number??
if you have a new credit card with a new number and new exp date the bank wouldn't send sky the new information.
sky's billing department would do a sweep on the old card it would come back as closed or something and then sky would send a message saying please contact sky and toll free number.
unless you updated the spanish sky providers with the new credit card info and they did the update.
i had problems with a credit card, i called up my contact and had the card swaped to a new credit card.
can it be the spanish banks are worse than the italian banking system??
i wish i could help more, perhaps changing banks is a possibility.

best of luck

ziggyblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Spain
ralphmagno said:
hello again.
you have a spanish credit card a visa, you cancelled the card and they issued a new card with a new number and sky in the uk is still taking the money out.
who gave them the new number??
if you have a new credit card with a new number and new exp date the bank wouldn't send sky the new information.
sky's billing department would do a sweep on the old card it would come back as closed or something and then sky would send a message saying please contact sky and toll free number.
unless you updated the spanish sky providers with the new credit card info and they did the update.
i had problems with a credit card, i called up my contact and had the card swaped to a new credit card.
can it be the spanish banks are worse than the italian banking system??
i wish i could help more, perhaps changing banks is a possibility.

best of luck

No, Ralph it is a UK bank - Lloyds TSB. Original debit card, expired. Account is it was linked to closed at the same time. Sky requested the payment on this card. Lloyds then just switched the payment to another account owned by us.

ziggyblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Spain
Someone has now loaned me a Sky plus box and our new white card has been linked to it but the recording and playback facilities are not working. Phoned Sky back and they said they would "pair" the card. Nothing happened and was told that it could take up to 24 hours. Is this likely as we still have 8 to go and nothing seems to be happening.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It depends upon the volume and priority of other Activation sequences they've got queued up for transmission.

Not much point in pursuing them until after the 24 hours is up.

ziggyblue

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
Spain
Tivù said:
It depends upon the volume and priority of other Activation sequences they've got queued up for transmission.

Not much point in pursuing them until after the 24 hours is up.

So how does that work? If she tried whilst I was on the phone, how does it get into a queuing process?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
All activations of newly acquired Subs Cards, FreesatfromSky Cards, Package Changes etc require a signal to be sent On Air to your Box.

All such systems have limited traffic capacity - time of day (staffing), satellite bandwidth etc.

So a priority system is used.

eg Freesat customers get low priority.

All queuing systems have over-rides at various levels, triggered by eg Complaints, Technical difficulties, how loud the Customer shouts, etc. Whether they are Desmond Lynam ..... Actually that didn't help him when he couldn't view his Box Office event that he'd paid for.

Finally, although CS Agents may have some limited authority to raise priority in certain cases, it seems perfectly likely that a fob-off ploy would be to treat you as the only Customer that mattered then put two fingers up when you get off the phone.

In any event, keying in a request in real time isn't the same as that request being actioned by the techies ..............

Edit: In you previous Post you acknowledged you were told it could take up to 24 hours.