Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not yet made...
My Location
Enschede, The Netherlands
Hi

What do you think of this system:

SkyStar2 + multytene

It is very convenient since it is quite compact. However, I have a PIII 800 with 512MB RAM and ATI Radeon 9250. This is quite at the lower end. My fear is that I would be limited. Would a cam work for instance? Can I get a subscription from CanaalDigitaal (with external card module)?

Thanks.

Aleks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum alek_a

Well it certainly is very compact and I am surprised by the neatness of the unit, I would have thought 45cm was a tad small but they are making the claim, however they do not say where you have to be based to receive these 1000 channels and I think that is misleading. What if someone from Scandanavia bought one what would he receive from 28.2 degrees not a lot I suspect. I have not seen any price details but suspect it is not cheap. Yes I would have thought a PIII would struggle a bit but you never know

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
If you are going to use a P3 then I would suggest that you use dvbdream as your viewer, use elecard video codecs and a H.264 codec, with a video mixing renderer. This should minimise frame drop out. My 1Ghz CPU is currently running at about 30% on BBC1 with a resolution of 720 x 576. Encrypted channels on Hotbird run a few % higher with VPlug running all the time, and the resolution drops a little (544 x 576).

alek_a

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Not yet made...
My Location
Enschede, The Netherlands
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I have just sent an email to technisat about the reception with the 45cm dish. I see that I need minimum 50 to 60cm. from the Astra and Eutelsat coverage plots, so it is a legitimate question to ask. They however claim some high-performance coating, so maybe it is dimensioned correctly for most of Western Europe.

The price is about 170 euros. What do you think, can I get better stuff for approx. the same money?

The thing is that I dont want to buy some crap that I will not be able to use in the future. This system has internet capability, has HD support etc. What is does not have is a CI slot. But I read somewhere on this forum that I can use a custom card reader on the serial port of my PC. Is that right?

Low Profile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD, DM7000 80GB HD with Asus WL330 wifi + 2GB usb drive, Skystar2.3, 2.2m Kinhuge Dish with Inverto LNB and Invacom ADF-120 feedhorn. Pace 1.3.25 and 80cm for Sky.
My Location
Lot, Dordogne, Correze border.
I paid 48 Euros + postage for my SS2 (with remote) off German Ebay. If I was you I would go for that and an 80cm+ dish and rotator.