YouTube channels

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Does anyone have a channel that they like or watch a lot on YouTube? I've grown very fond of Techmoan - the channel owner has a lot of interesting and obscure old tech. He does pretty good homework on it as well, so most pieces have history behind them (usually the "rise and fall of" type).

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
I too watch Techmoan and have a lot of the kit he shows already n my AV collection and a few that he hasn't yet shown.

shawl_who

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SES7, Yahsat 1A, Yamal 54.9e, express am33 @103e, eutelsat 36b
My Location
New Delhi, India
A

Archive7

I got hooked on a Turkish soap opera called Elif (over 720 episodes so far).
It is helping me to learn a bit of Turkish
Elif Dizisi
It is very popular in several countries and they made their own version.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I watch a lot of guitar and gear related videos, some relating to performances and some to reviews. My favourite channel is :

Daves World Of Fun Stuff

Dave repairs and sets up lots of guitars and I must say it was a big help in giving me the knowledge and confidence to set up my own guitar. He swears a lot and doesn't care if you like him or not. He does pyrotechnics for the Canadian film industry as his day job...

shawl_who

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
New Delhi, India
You need to invest in a capture card... or a tripod.
Totally agreed.... do u know a good capture card ?
and/or will I require a high spec. laptop to run it ?

A

Archive7

You need to add subtitles or CC (Closed Captions) and translate it into several languages so that you reach more audience.
Unfortunately YouTube doesn't support many languages for automatic transcription
Automatic captions are available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
So either you narrate your videos in good clear English language and upload and wait until it finishes the automatic transcription, or add CC file with correct timing for each sentence, otherwise you won't get synchronization between audio, video and CC.
Remember to edit the CC file that YouTube generates because there will always be errors if it doesn't understand every world.
Once you have a correct file with no misspellings, translate it into more languages besides English.
Watch for example this video, translated into several languages.
Just Sharing This - Adding Subtitles to a *.ts Recorded File

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I use this one. Most of the encoding is done within the device itself, I believe, with stream being written to hard drive over the USB connection.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham

shawl_who

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
New Delhi, India
You need to add subtitles or CC (Closed Captions) and translate it into several languages so that you reach more audience.
Unfortunately YouTube doesn't support many languages for automatic transcription
Automatic captions are available in English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish
So either you narrate your videos in good clear English language and upload and wait until it finishes the automatic transcription, or add CC file with correct timing for each sentence, otherwise you won't get synchronization between audio, video and CC.
Remember to edit the CC file that YouTube generates because there will always be errors if it doesn't understand every world.
Once you have a correct file with no misspellings, translate it into more languages besides English.
Watch for example this video, translated into several languages.
Just Sharing This - Adding Subtitles to a *.ts Recorded File

If I translate into other languages, will it preserve the original language I m narrating it in 'hindi' ?
and adding subtitles, will it show for specific country ?
I mean, if I give the subtitles in french, will it show to someone watching in India ? or will it show to someone watching in France only ?

A

Archive7

If I translate into other languages, will it preserve the original language I m narrating it in 'hindi' ?
and adding subtitles, will it show for specific country ?
I mean, if I give the subtitles in french, will it show to someone watching in India ? or will it show to someone watching in France only ?
The original audio language will be preserved. So if your narration is in Hindi, then this is what the viewer will hear, regardless of which CC language they select.
The viewers can come from any country and they just select the language they prefer.
The biggest problem is the timestamp of the transcription.
Try to narrate your next video in English and use a good microphone and speak in clear voice.
YouTube can transcribe English audio but not Hindi.
Watching one of the videos, the sound quality isn't clear, even in Hindi.
I used the microphone that came with my Logitec CAM

shawl_who

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
New Delhi, India
The original audio language will be preserved. So if your narration is in Hindi, then this is what the viewer will hear, regardless of which CC language they select.
The viewers can come from any country and they just select the language they prefer.
The biggest problem is the timestamp of the transcription.
Try to narrate your next video in English and use a good microphone and speak in clear voice.
YouTube can transcribe English audio but not Hindi.
Watching one of the videos, the sound quality isn't clear, even in Hindi.
I used the microphone that came with my Logitec CAM

Yeah, I am a noob video creator, this is my first shot at creating videos...
But yes, I need to improve, as you said. I m only using a normal mobile earphone to record.... my bad. :(

I can speak good english fortunately, will try my hand at it.... :rolleyes:

but then, I also dont want to give up on Hindi, as most of the Indian viewers are not too comfortable with English. Hence I want to preserve that local feel to the channel. :confused

A

Archive7

Yeah, I am a noob video creator, this is my first shot at creating videos...
But yes, I need to improve, as you said. I m only using a normal mobile earphone to record.... my bad. :(

I can speak good english fortunately, will try my hand at it.... :rolleyes:

but then, I also dont want to give up on Hindi, as most of the Indian viewers are not too comfortable with English. Hence I want to preserve that local feel to the channel. :confused
I suggested to narrate in English because making timestamps can be a pain and YouTube is great for doing that.
Try one of the videos already published and transcribe it in Hindi and then upload the file and see how it looks.

shawl_who

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
New Delhi, India
I suggested to narrate in English because making timestamps can be a pain and YouTube is great for doing that.
Try one of the videos already published and transcribe it in Hindi and then upload the file and see how it looks.

yup... will def. give it a try..
thanks for all your valuable insight. Really appreciated. :-respekt

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If I think I've done a bad job repairing something, I can pick myself up by watching a couple of the Electroboom episodes and a glass of wine..

Slapstick but with some education thrown in.

Fixing Tree Decorations, the ElectroBoom way