Zapped through the aerial cable!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
spiney said:
As I keep on saying, this arises because sat receivers are class 2 elextrical equipment. Double insulated with no earth, so theoretically safer, but you can get "tingles and small belts".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes .

Errrrm, I'm talking about UHF TV antenna cables & stuff, not satellite receivers.... :-rofl2

Although my 9800S did give me a jolt through the F connector once... :D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Exactly the same applies, tvs are also class 2.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
spiney said:
Exactly the same applies, tvs are also class 2.

I'd prefer my TV to be class1 to be honest....:D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
No, honestly, you would NOT prefer your tv to be class 1!

tapfit2004

lula member
Reaction score
Website
livesportsontv.eu
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400
fortecstar
sl65
quali tv ir
4 digiboxes
dragon cam
funcard7
sm3d12 motor
wavefrontier t90
90cm dish
1m dish
My Location
dublin, ireland
you could seperately earth your system using an earth rod directly into the ground and you would not be affected by the 50hz mains hum but you would probably be creating an attractive path for a lightning strike. insulating the connection point on the lnb very well would reduce the chance of getting hit but i couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt happen. also the second earth rod is supposed to be kept a certain distance away from the original earth rod connected to your electrical system so as to eliminate any chance of current flow between them, i cant remember the exact figure in meters but i will look it up if you are going to do this.