My Location
PAKISTAN
Lancelot said:
Hmmmm.................. :D

Anyone checked the DATE at all ???

L.:)
This is what the firm tells us when we click "Add to Chart"

Thank you for your faith in us.
However, there's no such thing as a 0.01dB LNB. In fact I wouldn't believe any claims of noise factors below 0.3dB. The best LNB we can offer is the Invacom range but these will not fit on a Sky minidish. You would have to buy a dish that has a 40mm LNB clamp. The good news is that the Invacom LNBs don't cost anywhere near £199. Of course, in the UK, the Sky signals are strong so you won't need a special LNB. Any universal LNB will do the job. The only way to increase the signal is to use a larger dish.
:-rofl2
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
jaju said:
The only way to increase the signal is to use a larger dish.
:-rofl2

I dont mean to be controversial my friend but that is just not an accurate statement as there are a number of ways to increase signal to noise using the same dish.

Lower Noise Figure LNB
Better Illumination Efficiency
Lower Spillover Loss

are just a few ways.

Personally I wouldnt believe ay claims of Noise Figure below 0.7dB at ku-band from any of the normal Sat TV LNB manufacturers but it is possible to get below this figure with special Low Noise Amplifiers that are not easily available to us.

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
So, to get to the point, what are the best ku band lnb's around - mti? invacom?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hmm - I wonder if SMW are still using the HP8970B Noise Figure Meters that they tested their LNB's with back in the early '90's? This had a measurement uncertainty of +/- 0.3dB.

Quote from their 1996 catalogue -

Measurement Uncertainties

"Despite the use of advanced measurement equipment you will still have some uncertainties to consider. There is an instrument uncertainty in the Noise and Gain analyser of +/- 0.3dB, the noise source has an uncertainty of +/- 0.07dB and there is a mismatch uncertainty of +/- 0.1 dB. This gives a worst case uncertainty of 0.2 dB or a RSS (Root Sum of Squares) of 0.12dB.

But this is however not all. There is another source of error which few people are aware of. The noise source impedance changes slightly between the "cold" and "hot" state resulting in that the LNB "sees" a difference in impedance at the input. This change in impedance does affect the gain of the LNB which also changes with the "cold" and "hot" state of the noise source. This causes the LNB to change the NF and, what is worse, the gain of the LNB during the measurement. Since the analyser measures the ratio between "cold" and "hot" state this can result in a significant error in the noise figure measurement. And this error can be up to 0.3 dB. There is however a way to reduce this error. This is to use a noise source with very little difference in the impedance between "cold" and "hot" states. There are noise sourses available with an extra 10 dB built in attenuator which reduces the impedance variation considerably."

Presumably the NF figures of the currently available SMW LNB's are based on measurements taken with these meters?

Llew

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Llew said:
Hmm - I wonder if SMW are still using the HP8970B Noise Figure Meters that they tested their LNB's with back in the early '90's? This had a measurement uncertainty of +/- 0.3dB.

Quote from their 1996 catalogue -

Measurement Uncertainties

"Despite the use of advanced measurement equipment you will still have some uncertainties to consider. There is an instrument uncertainty in the Noise and Gain analyser of +/- 0.3dB, the noise source has an uncertainty of +/- 0.07dB and there is a mismatch uncertainty of +/- 0.1 dB. This gives a worst case uncertainty of 0.2 dB or a RSS (Root Sum of Squares) of 0.12dB.

But this is however not all. There is another source of error which few people are aware of. The noise source impedance changes slightly between the "cold" and "hot" state resulting in that the LNB "sees" a difference in impedance at the input. This change in impedance does affect the gain of the LNB which also changes with the "cold" and "hot" state of the noise source. This causes the LNB to change the NF and, what is worse, the gain of the LNB during the measurement. Since the analyser measures the ratio between "cold" and "hot" state this can result in a significant error in the noise figure measurement. And this error can be up to 0.3 dB. There is however a way to reduce this error. This is to use a noise source with very little difference in the impedance between "cold" and "hot" states. There are noise sourses available with an extra 10 dB built in attenuator which reduces the impedance variation considerably."

Presumably the NF figures of the currently available SMW LNB's are based on measurements taken with these meters?

Llew

I have no idea which equipment SMW use today but I still have more faith in the numbers they quote and they are definately more accurate than say Invacom or Sharp etc. If SMW are still using these old Noise Figure Meters then of course we still have some uncertainty but if they are using the latest generation of equipment then that uncertainty is much lower. Any decent maufacturer will leave a small safety margin in the quoted figure or clarify it as typical or peak etc.

Lets face it you also get the same impedance changes when you attach the LNA to a feedhorn or when you change the elevation of the dish or when you change frequency across the band so we have uncertainties across the board, you also get Noise Temperature changes as the LNA/LNB temperature changes so there are a lot of variables.

I just think its unfair that many people go out an buy the latest Super LNB just because the manufacturer makes a wild claim about performance thats completely untrue and unproven.

yan75

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.4m dish, Pace 2600, 0.5dB universal quad Invacom LNB (Limassol)
4.2m dish Pace 2600 0.3dB universal quad invacom LNB. (Larnaca)
Slingbox HD.
My Location
Cyprus Limassol
Hi guys

What about the 0.2dB LNBs from Chess, any good? Would you see an improvement on the Invacom 0.3dB?

Yan

divibi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dvb-s pci card
85 cm offset dish
My Location
London
Hi,

I heard one Greek company made a 'special edition' 0.1 dB lnb. I think it was Chess.

So how does one go about building a special low-noise amplifier? Where can I get the parts? How to build and implement that Maser laser into the sat system?

Or maybe just cooling a normal LNB is enough for great results. I read in TELEVISION and electronics mag 2 years ago that a man in New Zealand was cooling his LNB.

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
divibi said:
Hi,

I heard one Greek company made a 'special edition' 0.1 dB lnb. I think it was Chess.

If they claim 0.1dB Noise Figure then the spec is false so who knows unless you can do a direct comparison.

divibi said:
So how does one go about building a special low-noise amplifier? Where can I get the parts? How to build and implement that Maser laser into the sat system?

You need to do a lot of reading for starters to even begin to understand the problems associated with designing these things. I dont know of anyone that produces a kit of parts either at the moment but maybe someone else does ??

divibi said:
Or maybe just cooling a normal LNB is enough for great results. I read in TELEVISION and electronics mag 2 years ago that a man in New Zealand was cooling his LNB.

You will need to make a refrigerator unit that is capable of cooling to very low temperatures around -100 degrees C or less. Not very easily done at home.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
How about pouring some liquid nitrogen on your LNB with someone watching the screen (or taping it) and seeing what happens. :D

Best doing it on some faint analog channel to see the difference.