1.2 (1.35m) Aligned - but still weak signal - Canaries

roberto

Member
My Satellite Setup
1.2m sky,80cm nilesat,1m 16E,80cm 13E
sky hd
spider box hd 9000
My Location
canary islands
Hi I fitted an ultra black lnb to my sky dish 1.3 to pick up itv and its works fine, so my dad has now brought one, but it wont pick up itv frequency, also the meter is reading his quality around 60-70 on the default meter freq, where mine is in the 90's, ive tried to realign the dish by moving it up,down left right, and the skew but i cant get the signal up. the dish is fairly old but it looks fine, as do the arms.
What can be wrong?
Do dishes just degrade over time, can anything be done to repair it, I was thinking of wiping the dish over with a damp cloth but I cant see that doing anything lol.
 
One of the advantages of the Black Ultra is that it has a particularly long neck, so you can move it closer to or further away from the dish. I found that adjustment critical when setting up my 1.1m dish for AB7.

Yet it's the only adjustment you haven't mentioned ................
 
yeah when setting the skew i moved it closer and further to achieve peak.
 
Cleaning won't do much but make it look pretty. You will also find this can be receiver dependent.

Anyhow, check the dish arms, if it's a Tecatel 135 then spring the arms for maximum focal alignment as they can be easily knocked or not have been assembled correctly. Be careful not to break them as they are also easily snapped off if frail.

Use the default transponder for general alignment or first step, then peak for 11053. Also check the dish isn't warped, they can go at the top. Other than that, you could try a line amp, [although not recommended on a short run]. I use a 16-20dB; found this on some systems to give a more stable ITV during the day. Not forgetting the cable, again check this.

Finally, peak the dish or check again later in the evening, current 1N (11053) ITV's in Lanzarote are better in the evening/night.
 
Thanks for your help, how do you spring the arm, bend them towards each other other or away?I aligned it at the default frequent on the meter but the quality was very low, what can you do about a warped dish? Can it be unwarped lol or will It need replacing.
 
Dishes can be unwarped, but some duff ones are produced in any batch from the factory.

Did you get a gain chart provided with the dishes purchased, any decent manufacturer should at least provide a gain figure at low, medium and high band for you to compare. If the dish doesn't do what it states then you should be able claim for a replacement if the damage hasn't occurred through a third party delivery system, or dodgy install.
 
roberto said:
Thanks for your help, how do you spring the arm, bend them towards each other other or away?I aligned it at the default frequent on the meter but the quality was very low, what can you do about a warped dish? Can it be unwarped lol or will It need replacing.

I think 7dB MER is enough for the box to get a stable lock on 11778, will depend on how accurate the meter is measuring. Peak the dish on 11053h. Typically on a 1.35m those I've measured, MER for 11053 locks in at <5dB with a 7/8dB SNR. Don't know what measurements your meter is capable of reading but mine doesn't lock with such a low MER and use the SNR for peaking on the 1N transponder.

Gently spring the two upper arms in the same direction and then the back other way, also the bottom support arm.

Skew the LNb for best cross polar, nothing else you can do but seek a good receiver or upgrade the dish to a minimum FTE 1.50m at this time.
 
I'm using a lacuna mk iv, iv'e added that transponder freq to the meter, I can't get a lock but if I pull the top of the dish a bit, I get a signal but when i let go it's gone, elevating the dish doesn't help, I guess its it's warped ?
 
Possible, can you upload a picture of the dish; front back and side?


Sent using Tapatalk
 
I will next time I'm there, it is a tecatel 1.35, same as mine, mine is 6 yrs old and I have no problems with itv. lol
 
Yes but measured several dishes and had the same or similar MER / SNR readings on aforementioned transponder, though some receivers will work, some not. As mentioned, can be receiver dependent ;)
 
I understand what your saying, but I'm talking about just getting a reading on the meter for itv transponder before I even get to connecting the receiver. When I fitted my lnb, I got the itv transponder on the meter, then i just peaked to increase quality. On my dads no signal on itv transponeder on my lacuna, but it did pick it up when I pulled the top left of the dish, but when i let go, it lost it again.
 
hello,
what meter are you using? if you are using the desplay from the box that is giving you a quality and strenth this is not on the itv frequency.
if you received it by pulling the top left of the dish it means it is not aligned 100%.upload some pictures.
be sure to show lnb as well.
ralph
 
ANother thing you can try, is squeeze the sides in slightly, or the top and bottom. If the signal goes up (Providing you squeeze equally) the dish is not perfect and need either sorting out or replacing. I have had a few recently not perfectly infocus and sent back.
 
I have found with all LNB's that some are better than others at particular frequencies even though they absolutely identical. You could try the "working" LNB on the other dish to see if there is any difference.
Some dishes although identical and from the same supplier at the same time will differ. The problem with the 1.35 in Lanzarote is that it is so close to the edge for ITV.
As Satelliteman pointed out try and change the position of the LNB by "adjusting" the arms to insure the LNB is focused on the dish correctly. Then try to realign the dish again.
Also as Satelliteman said the signal is stronger at night so try aligning later at night. (Separate question - does anyone know why as 2D was weaker at night here?)
Also if you are pulling a side of the dish then the dish may well be bent/warped. If your confident enough then give is some an bend it - it's surprising what the wind has done to some dishes over time.
But whilst you are pulling on the dish watch what happens to the LNB position as you will see it move and it may not be the dish that wants adjusting but the LNB position as mentioned before.

Anyway hope this helps
 
This is something I experienced a long time ago but taught me a lesson. You have otherwise tried everything it seems, but try replacing the short cable between your meter and LNB, there may be just a chance that it could be faulty.
 
Here is a good example; very noticeable ;)
 

Attachments

  • IMG-20120515-00340.webp
    IMG-20120515-00340.webp
    116.2 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-20120515-00340.webp
    IMG-20120515-00340.webp
    116.2 KB · Views: 64
Hiya thanks for all your help, my dad decided to get a new dish as he didn't want to miss the euros playing with the old one. he is now picking up itv, so he's happy.

Thanks again.

There were no dents, no noticeable signs like that dish satellite man. I would of liked to have had a play with the dish to find out what was the problem, too late now.
 
Never too late. Just mount it up somewhere else and play with it and your meter in your spare time.
 
Back
Top