1.2m receiving more of Nilesat than a 1.8m, where am I going wrong ?

ttime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 humax
My Location
London
Guys,

Greetings to all , as my 1st post, and it is a query:

In London, I receive Nilesat Vertical TPs at around 20 to 25% signal quality using 1.2m dish, with nothing from Horizontal TPs.

Aiming to get the Horizontal channels, I got a prime focus 1.8m dish (maplins cheap Fortecstar) , plus a C120 Invacom digital LNB with adjustable feedhorn.
The problem is that the new dish is not receiving more that 18% sig quality from Nilesat on VERTICAL channels, thats less than the 1.2m dish.

I think I have got the focal point right for the prime focus
, but is there a special way in connecting the C120 LNB/feedhorn with each other, they seem pretty straight forward, and get the distance right to centre of dish; and I can't believe even a cheap 1.8m being worse than 1.2m .

Whats strange is using a normal LNB (the one attached to 1.2 normaly) with the 1.8m, I get similar signal quality as the C120 /feedhorn with 1.8m!!

I have a feeling that I am missing something elementary, but I can't put my hand on it, any clue as to what is happening?

Cheers

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
that 1.8m dish from maplin isn't the best quality and will need to be built up correctly to get the best out of it

have you made sure the petals are bolted together correctly ?

you would have been better buying a prodelin or andrews 1.8m if you are wanting nilesat for a better quality dish with more gain

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire

ttime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 humax
My Location
London
wod said:
that 1.8m dish from maplin isn't the best quality and will need to be built up correctly to get the best out of it

have you made sure the petals are bolted together correctly ?

you would have been better buying a prodelin or andrews 1.8m if you are wanting nilesat for a better quality dish with more gain

M8 , you are quiet right , but look at the diff in price. I simply expect it to perform better than what I am seeing, and it is making me wonder where am going wrong.

Tried my best to bolt the petals correctly. Quick test with strings across it show they intersect reasonably well (within 1/4 inch). Looking from bottom of dish through a small centered hole, I can see the point of intersection of these strings ligning up with the LNB.

I have to say this is the first time I try a prime focus, but I can't think of how else I can centre it more ?? I'd love to know a better way of checking it (no analyser, I use TV/receiver). I mean with 1.8 , I shouldn't be struggling with vertical channels, they should be booming, and the horizontals, those I expect to be facing fine tuning.

Using the C120 combination supposed to help aswell !

staffspeted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 driven by Supermount SMR 1224 mount.
V-Box 11
Triple Dragon Linux Receiver.
Vantage VT-X221TSCI Blindscan Receiver.
Diablo Wireless cam and base.
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
I pull in most of the H transponders with my 1.2 Channel Master in Watford , so am just North of you.
Maybe your 1.2 is slightly out?
I am using the correct Andrews feedhorn and an Inverto C120 lnb along with 2 very sensitive receivers.
The Vantage pulls in 70 % on the afore mentioned.

ttime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 humax
My Location
London
staffspeted said:
I pull in most of the H transponders with my 1.2 Channel Master in Watford , so am just North of you.
Maybe your 1.2 is slightly out?
I am using the correct Andrews feedhorn and an Inverto C120 lnb along with 2 very sensitive receivers.
The Vantage pulls in 70 % on the afore mentioned.

Yes, I PM'd you the other day, I am also around Watford. I'm sure my 1.2 slightly out, only slightly , but I am reasonably happy with its arc, getting all the channels I need at the moment from 42E to 30W.

It will never get the H transponders on nilesat 7W with 24/7 availability so I wasn't gonna bother realigning it , and went for the 1.8m for the sole use with nilesat. I was encouraged seeing your results, so 1.8m should be getting something.

Could I be doing something drastically wrong with the feedhorn/LNB connections ??? we know the signals are there to be picked up ;)

staffspeted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
V-Box 11
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
Hi T yeah I 'm not ignoring you!
Weather has been less than favourable to us lately so I havent really done much channel hopping!!
Will be checking out the transponder you asked about and replying over thwe weekend.
Am an ex Raf sat comms installer and its always good getting hands on with other set - ups so if you ever need a hand with your dish gimme a shout!
Where in Watford are you?:)

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
what a good thread also been thinking of doing the same, would have thought a 1.8 no matter what make would kill a 1.2 channel master all i can say is this bird is very erratic sometimes pick it up on the verts perfect,then not even a blip and it doesnt always seem to coincide with the weather,never used a prime focus but have you tried turning the lnb in its holder(just a thought} good luck and keep us informed how you go on cheers iwol

R

Rd100

I use to have a 1.8m fortec star and when i set it up it had the same amount of gain as my old channel master 1.8m I use it for nilesat horizontal transponders and multi choice south africa in c-band on 68.5E

ttime said:
Guys,

Greetings to all , as my 1st post, and it is a query:

In London, I receive Nilesat Vertical TPs at around 20 to 25% signal quality using 1.2m dish, with nothing from Horizontal TPs.

Aiming to get the Horizontal channels, I got a prime focus 1.8m dish (maplins cheap Fortecstar) , plus a C120 Invacom digital LNB with adjustable feedhorn.
The problem is that the new dish is not receiving more that 18% sig quality from Nilesat on VERTICAL channels, thats less than the 1.2m dish.

I think I have got the focal point right for the prime focus , but is there a special way in connecting the C120 LNB/feedhorn with each other, they seem pretty straight forward, and get the distance right to centre of dish; and I can't believe even a cheap 1.8m being worse than 1.2m .​

Whats strange is using a normal LNB (the one attached to 1.2 normaly) with the 1.8m, I get similar signal quality as the C120 /feedhorn with 1.8m!!

I have a feeling that I am missing something elementary, but I can't put my hand on it, any clue as to what is happening?

Cheers

staffspeted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
V-Box 11
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
TT u have pm. Pulling in Showtime with a sig quality of 80%.:)

ttime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 humax
My Location
London
staffspeted said:
TT u have pm. Pulling in Showtime with a sig quality of 80%.:)

Cheers for the PM, and thanks to everyone for their input

Just been playing around, good clear sky & much better results.

Now V channels hitting 50% sig quality (Humax) , thats 99% on technosat Rx (which gets excited with 97-99% while Humax is still on 30%!).

Now, the Horizontal channels, I am able to pull 11996H at 25-26% on Hum, which is well stable. Technosat telling me its 95% SQ :) just to make the viewer happier.

Basically, the feedhorn is not compatible with the dish's LNB holder & I'm having to find ways to get it centered. Also, with the strings going as diameters, not only they need to intersect, they need to be on the same level.

I have a feeling I can still squeeze about 5 to 8% SQ , but my only meter is the Humax status bar, I'd love to know the optimum people are getting (with 1.8m) equiv to humax , so I know what to aim for.

bedtime now i think

garretthen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
NOT SURE YET
My Location
co fermanagh
ttime said:
Cheers for the PM, and thanks to everyone for their input

Just been playing around, good clear sky & much better results.

Now V channels hitting 50% sig quality (Humax) , thats 99% on technosat Rx (which gets excited with 97-99% while Humax is still on 30%!).

Now, the Horizontal channels, I am able to pull 11996H at 25-26% on Hum, which is well stable. Technosat telling me its 95% SQ :) just to make the viewer happier.

Basically, the feedhorn is not compatible with the dish's LNB holder & I'm having to find ways to get it centered. Also, with the strings going as diameters, not only they need to intersect, they need to be on the same level.

I have a feeling I can still squeeze about 5 to 8% SQ , but my only meter is the Humax status bar, I'd love to know the optimum people are getting (with 1.8m) equiv to humax , so I know what to aim for.

bedtime now i think

just ordered 1.8m prime focus.In Barnet.will try to install at weekend.I'll let y'all know!