naim32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky zone 2 mk4 zinwell quad
Humax foxsat hdr
Panasonic plamsa with freesat
My Location
cambride
I'm having odd problems losing the 11428H transponder ( freesat data and so postcode and channel update problems as well)
It shows no signal normally and the 11426V is sometimes 100% or 0%. The other EB1 transponders seems ok.

However if I go outside and block some of the dish then 11428H will come back as 100%. There seems to be sweet spot to block which is to the right of the dish when looking from the front.
Also using a 12dB attenuator will also bring back 11428H but loses everthing else.
The cables from the dish are only about 4 meters so I connected the LNB via a 25m coil of cable. No change except a slight reduction in signal strength overall as expected.

The dish was a zone 1 sky dish.
I replaced this with a zone 2 and new Zinwell LNB. No difference.
I've tried 3 different Zinwell quads and they all do the same.
Using an old single LNB solves the problem.

Also, I have a freesat tuner in the TV. This seems ok for 11428H, not 100% maybe 70-80%.

I've just had a quick look at Lyngsat to see if there are any 11428H or close transponders on the neighboring sats but found nothing obvious.

All the DECT, WIFI devices have been turned off, no change.

My only guess is that I'm getting some other signal on 11428 either due to local RF or anther sat.

Does anyone have any other ideas.

Also is there another brand of LNB that fits onto a MK4 skydish. I don't really want to buy yet another dish/lnb.

Another possibility is replacing the foxsat with an Echostar HDS-600RS.
Can the files be copied off the Echostar? I currently ftp off the humax to watch on my tablet.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I'm probably way off track here, but you don't happen to live close to Madingley's radio astronomy site? They use a band of frequencies (1668-1670) that come close to the downconverted IF of 11428MHz (1678MHz). Granted it's a few MHz off that IF, and rather a tenuous connection - they have to be strict to keep to within the frequency bands they use - but maybe there's some stray radiation that's causing your interference from that site.

naim32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax foxsat hdr
My Location
cambride
If this is located in Madingley itself then I'm about 6 miles away on a bearing of about 250 degrees. This could be a possibility as the suspected signal seems to reflecting off the right hand side of the dish.

The house is located here. The green arrow is the location of the dish.

=http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=52.220263,-0.080134&sll=52.220522,-0.080166&sspn=0.000932,0.002642&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19]52.220263,-0.080134

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
The phased array dishes used at the site are spread over a large area. They use very sensitive amplifiers, and I would imagine (not being conversant with the system) they must be phased together using some kind of distribution lines and possibly amplifiers. Maybe they are leaking out radiation somehow?

Having said that, I would think other people living nearer to the area would have the same problem.

A

archive10

naim32 said:
However if I go outside and block some of the dish then 11428H will come back as 100%. There seems to be sweet spot to block which is to the right of the dish when looking from the front.

[...]

The dish was a zone 1 sky dish.
I replaced this with a zone 2 and new Zinwell LNB. No difference.
I've tried 3 different Zinwell quads and they all do the same.
Using an old single LNB solves the problem.

Also, I have a freesat tuner in the TV. This seems ok for 11428H, not 100% maybe 70-80%.

Seems like interplay between the Zinwell and the Humax somehow. EDIT: and probably interference from at least the direction of Madingley, which is to the right of your dish (east from you).

Perhaps you can try blocking the LNB, not the dish, from the direction of Madingley, and see if makes any difference. Use a small metal shield of some sort, e.g aluminium or steel (same material dish is made from - ideally piece of old dish; but most thing should work.

Alternatively try some other LNB, as that really does remove the problem.
Trick is to buy a "normal" circular dish (well oval really), which allows any LNB to be used, not just the Sky-ones.
As you are in Zone 1 territory, you can use just something like a 45-60 cm dish (30-40 GBP off Screwfix) or similar.

I would rather keep the Humax and upgrade the dish rather than try some other receiver and find the problem still there (receiver much more pounds than dish)...

naim32

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax foxsat hdr
My Location
cambride
st1 said:
Seems like interplay between the Zinwell and the Humax somehow.
Perhaps you can try blocking the LNB, not the dish, from the direction of Madingley, and see if makes any difference. Use a small metal shield of some sort, e.g aluminium or steel (same material dish is made from - ideally piece of old dish; but most thing should work.

Alternatively try some other LNB, as that really does remove the problem.
Trick is to buy a "normal" circular dish (well oval really), which allows any LNB to be used, not just the Sky-ones.
As you are in Zone 1 territory, you can use just something like a 45-60 cm dish (30-40 GBP off Screwfix) or similar.

I would rather keep the Humax and upgrade the dish rather than try some other receiver and find the problem still there (receiver much more pounds than dish)...

I trie a sky single lnb and this seemed to be ok. Also the quads seem to ok with the tv but not the humax.
I was also thinking about getting a cheap ordinary dish but the garage will be getting full with dishes\lnbs.

The main issue does seem to be the humax not liking the zinwell quads