Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We have missed a very important thing in working on this puzzle :D

Welcome to the forum Xander227 :)

Xander227

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.0m TM Dish on Superior Dark Motor, Inverto Black Ultra KU LNB 57E - 45W, DMS C band LNB BSC421 4.8 Degrees Offset, Triax TKT001 KA Dual LNB 5 Degrees Offset
My Location
Lincolnshire, UK
We have missed a very important thing in working on this puzzle :D

Welcome to the forum Xander227 :)

Thank you :) just a shame this turned out to be a ghost.. Interesting to look into none the less

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Never mind - these things happen - its not the first time a ghost signal has been reported and it certainly wont be the last :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Whilst you are experimenting as to whats happening rather than keep disconnecting the cabling try covering the feedhorns with some aluminium foil. Thats hould block the signals out nicely as well.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Interesting thread! It reminded me of back in the analogue days I thought I'd found a new weak satellite mirroring some Astra 1A channels but it turned out I was picking up reflections off a nearby concrete wall! Ho hum. Still not quite sure how...

Xander227

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.0m TM Dish on Superior Dark Motor, Inverto Black Ultra KU LNB 57E - 45W, DMS C band LNB BSC421 4.8 Degrees Offset, Triax TKT001 KA Dual LNB 5 Degrees Offset
My Location
Lincolnshire, UK
Just finaly got round to spending some time on this, it was definatly caused by a faulty DiSEqC switch. I did some process of elimination and bizarely if i covered the C -Band LNB the signal dropped, if i covered the KA this also happened. (The C is port 2 and the KA port 3 on my switch)

Out of interest i checked the other two sonnections (1 which is my main KU and 4 which goes to a smaller dish round the side of my house) the smaller dish didnt seem to be working at all so i checked all the cable runs & LNB. I found a big kink in the cable where it goes near our gate, looks like theres a short here and its blow or partially damaged the switch. I'm also now getting the KU signals form my main feed on port 4 on this switch even though its conencted to port 1 (they are coming in on both) so new switch is the way to go, luckly not much expense.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Nice work.

As you say, not expensive to resolve.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
I used to get that on an el-cheapo radio scanner, I'd hear our local prison UHF TX on VHF and hear pager data on the old Police UHF band

It turned out to be a strong TX nearby causing ghost images on the scanner making it act strange, I seem to remember something about a third harmonic?

Your switch might have been swamped by a stronger signal local to you and it could have caused what you described