180 dish not doing it, west of Berlin

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Captain Jack said:
To me, that doesn't look too bad - in Germany 28.2E should be quite high up in the sky
With an offset dish if you look along the LNB arm anything above the LNB is obstructing the dish. This is a rule, and it makes no difference how high in the sky the satellite is because you point the dish up to take that into account.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ahh, I didn't know about this rule.... In that case, chop the tree down....

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
ndcoxhead said:
We've cut down quite a few trees but this Cherry is the one we wanted to keep. I think our fitters need to choose a better position for the dish.
Thanks for the advice guys.
If you want to be absolutely certain about the tree being to blame download the Satellite AR app from AGI and load it on someone's mobile that has got Android OS. It's free and will also help you find a better spot if you do relocate the dish.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I think it may benefit the tree by cutting it back (note: not felling it!). Tidying up and taking back the uppermost branches a couple of metres perhaps. You can always say it will improve the quality of the fruit!!

ndcoxhead

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8m dish, Smart switch (2x4 inputs, 16 outputs), Humax FaxSat HDR
My Location
Bützow, N.Germany
How about this ....?
We eventually wanted to cut down the big fir tree which is at the moment behind the dish. Then we could move the dish back a few meters to get a better angle over the cherry tree. We can also trim the top branches of the tree, but doing that alone wouldn't give me confidence.
So perhaps with a bit of maths can we work out how far the dish would have to move backwards to have a clear view over the cherry tree ?
This photo is from as perpendicular an position as I could do.fir tree.jpg