1st dish in France

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Greetings from sunny, warm Côte D'Azur (nearly, only 4o km away).
Dish performing great, with snow still on only lost the very weakest on 28 (quest).

Can you thaw it off by burning more peasants ?

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
Nice read this thread :-clap.......we do not have the beauty of your location but are able to enjoy more or less 12 months of the year with sun which naturally is great for our hobby.

Enjoy your weekend. :)

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
All very interesting and nice to see a decent finish to the setup. I know neat does not make it all work any better but it adds a touch of quality. I was seriously thinking moving to France 3 years ago, despite almost being 70. The Overseer was overly keen with the idea and I knew I would struggle having a stuck in a rut diet of all things English and hardly knowing any French. But the Overseer speaks French and reminded me that I could have a big big dish with loads of addons, lots of sunny weather and not be cramped by difficult neighbours. Alas the big op put paid to that and now only back to near normal. Off there for a holiday in 2018 and maybe I will be tempted to go for it. Keep us posted on it all.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
I could have a big big dish with loads of addons, lots of sunny weather and not be cramped by difficult neighbours

South France can easily provide all that :O)

Find a large property in the countryside (but with some decent roads to get to towns\facilities) with house standard in need of 'some or much' restauration and fix, and prices are very decent imo. Not knowing french (or rather the french not knowing english) can be a pain (I speak fluent, it's been important). Having some friends \ neighbours who knows the local language, coutumes, services, businesses etc is very helpful. Be sure there is cellphone (w at least stable 3g internet) working in the area, there are lots of dead spots in the countryside (alternative, satellite internet works fine).

I was on a motorcycle trip and randomly found a low priced, very nice piece of land\nature with an old house (in need of work), that was 15 years ago, still working on the house, made it liveable over the years, but lots still to do (eternal hobby). btw, 2 families from England are close neighbours.

About dishes here, afaik could freely install a dozen of any size if I wished, but no plans for that (yet) + mountains around would give restrictions in some directions. Happy with the 2 currently up, got all wanted programs from 19 & 28 e.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
Thanks for the information, no better advice than from someone who is there. The Overseer is pondering on where to go for the 5 day break at half term late May, fares always rocket up then. I have always fancied the Dordogne as it is not to hilly and enough greenery. We shall see, at least she has found an added interest in property sites along with Google Street view.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Lots of property for sale here in Normandy, Brittany too TJ. A major advantage is being close to the ferry ports and the D Day beaches if history is your thing. The disadvantage is the weather!! Not too much different to Southern UK, though we've not seen much snow for the past five years. On the other hand it doesn't usually get stifling hot in the summer. Very green, lush, rolling countryside with charming towns and villages.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Southern England
Lots of property for sale here in Normandy, Brittany too TJ. A major advantage is being close to the ferry ports and the D Day beaches if history is your thing. The disadvantage is the weather!! Not too much different to Southern UK, though we've not seen much snow for the past five years. On the other hand it doesn't usually get stifling hot in the summer. Very green, lush, rolling countryside with charming towns and villages.

We noticed they often show Normandy, Brittany n the TV programme A Place In The Sun but its not much sunnier than the UK south coast. Overseeer is pondering and spending ages on the property web sites. I even have a browse but to much time on the computer plays hell with my mouse arm. Must admit i do love a green country side. Any more blog updates of your travels?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Any more blog updates of your travels?

Not since a couple of weeks back..too much going on here to think of travels. Well, not until May, 2018. A friend not far from here has her house up for sale by the way. PM me for details (not getting commission LOL).