1w bouquets needed

G

newgen2005 said:
So getting back to what you said before, I need to move the dish to the right when I'm facing it?

newgen2005 said:
At least I have got somewhere today thanks to you guys :)

Yes, as per Posts 36 and 37, just a tiny bit to the right and up a really small amount - but you will probably get the next strong Satellite, 5W, just by panning right, as 5W is the strongest Bird in town. 1W is just a little bit further right and up still.

Don't worry, the whole thing will "click" with you soon and become much easier. We've all been there!

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
Problem is moving the dish to the right is getting closer to the house, so less view of the sky!! How far are we looking at, inches, cm? So 8.0w is lower than 1.0w? my dish is currently at around 33 as per dishpointer.com so I will need to increase the tilt? Do you think I am in the clear now I have found 8.0w without any issues from our house distance?

G

newgen2005 said:
Problem is moving the dish to the right is getting closer to the house, so less view of the sky!! How far are we looking at, inches, cm? So 8.0w is lower than 1.0w? my dish is currently at around 33 as per dishpointer.com so I will need to increase the tilt? Do you think I am in the clear now I have found 8.0w without any issues from our house distance?

You should be ok.

Those Satellites between 8W and 1W are at peak elevation in the arc from your perspective.

The amounts required are indeed small.

I suggest you leave the tilt until last, as you ought to get a sniff of first 5W without altering it. Once you've got 5W, adjust the tilt to optimise that, then simply complete a similar set of movements both to the right and up a tiny bit to get Thor.

You cannot miss 5W and so if you can gauge how far you have to move it to get there from 8W, you should be fine getting the trickier 1W.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Stood behind the dish it is 8.8 degrees to the left and up a bit. Set your active transponder to the one with BBC World on it.

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
Great thanks, I feel a little more confident now. A silly question I know but what is 8.8 degrees roughly in cm?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just over an inch I would imagine, draw a scale triangle with the radius of your dish as the longest side and it should tell you. :)

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
I have work tomorrow till 5 so I am going to have to do it in the dark or wait till Saturday and hope it doesn't rain.

So next step would be to:

1. Select 5w in the Dreambox sat config settings and try to locate, once located tilt dish a little to get a better signal of 5w.

2. Select 1w in the Dreambox sat config settings, select 11325 transponder as my signal indicator, move tilt a little and move the right until I get a lock on 1w.

Which transponder should I use for 5w?

G

newgen2005 said:
Which transponder should I use for 5w?

11591 V 20000 2/3 (France 2, 3, 5, Arte etc.)

I only suggested this to give you confidence as it is hard to miss!

If you do, by some chance, overshoot straight on to 1W, then fine.

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
Going to get the ladder out now, hopefully I will succeed!!!

Going to go for Atlantic Bird 3 5w then try for 1w.

G

No problem!

We're off out for a walk, so I expect you to have reported success by the time we get back at around 15.00 :-righton

G

Just one more thing, Sir .............

Move Dish to the right if looking from LNB towards Dish, or to left if standing behind it.

(Just pre-empting any possible misunderstandings :cool:)

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
OK found 5w without out any issues (about 90% signal) I have locked on to BBC World (Telenor Package) but I did seem to move the dish further than 8w to 5w!!! I think I must have passed 1w!! Shoud I go back to 5w and tilt the dish up a little?

G

newgen2005 said:
OK found 5w without out any issues (about 90% signal) I have locked on to BBC World (Telenor Package) but I did seem to move the dish further than 8w to 5w!!! I think I must have passed 1w!! Shoud I go back to 5w and tilt the dish up a little?

No, you are on 1W (There is no BBC World on 5W)

Just optimise now and you are done.

That's a hole in one for Boxing Day.

BBC World is on a strong Transponder.

Quite a few of the Thor TPs are marginal/weak/nigh on impossible, so find a weaker Channel while you optimise. Perhaps 12643 H 27500 3/4 (U, DD TV) ?

G

Actually, Spot 3 is stronger for you in Guernsey than it is for me in North Yorkshire! It looks like you might get fairly decent overall results. Spot 1 and Thor 5 don't look too shabby, either.

_http://www.flysat.com/1west-beam.php

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
Taken a turn for the worst, moved the dish as I thought I went too far, no I have nothing, I will try for 5w transponder 11591/2000 V

newgen2005

Dream-Believer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
LG 60" 3D Plasma TV
Thomson SKY+ HD
My Location
Guernsey Channel Islands
rai uno said:
No, you are on 1W (There is no BBC World on 5W)

Just optimise now and you are done.

That's a hole in one for Boxing Day.

BBC World is on a strong Transponder.

Quite a few of the Thor TPs are marginal/weak/nigh on impossible, so find a weaker Channel while you optimise. Perhaps 12643 H 27500 3/4 (U, DD TV) ?

I think I got about about 80% on 12643, anyway just doing a auto transponder now, Dreambox says it will take about 12 mins!!!

Looks like I have done it :)

Couldn't have done it without your help rai uno, thank you so much for guiding me through it :)