Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
I started this thread 'cause I had my mind set on getting a dm800, I even ordered it, but thought it over and cancelled. Realisticly I could only get some 15 hd channels, so for now, at least, it's too soon for me to jump in the hd experience. Of course there's always the chance of me changing my mind in 5secs.
Thanks for your comments and keep the ball rolling.

tux233

Reaction score
Prophessor said:
I started this thread 'cause I had my mind set on getting a dm800, I even ordered it, but thought it over and cancelled. Realisticly I could only get some 15 hd channels, so for now, at least, it's too soon for me to jump in the hd experience. Of course there's always the chance of me changing my mind in 5secs.
Thanks for your comments and keep the ball rolling.

Huh? 15 HD channels not enough? Your local provider will give you 3 - 4 HD channels at best for now.

Anyway. One does not get a dreambox for watching TV :) If that's your main use for the box, I would suggest getting one of the many other more "user friendly" receivers.

Cheers.

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
You're missing the point completly, the main use of a receiver is to receive tv\radio channels, no matter what else the receiver is able to do. In SD I have hundreds of unique channels and I only had to pay 1/4 of the cost of a HD (dm800) receiver that will only get me 15 channels that I already have in SD. Sure you have improved image quality and sound in some cases, but the content is the same or less. 15 channels is not enough specially when of those 15 you get the shame channel on different providers, leaving you with even less unique channels.
The portuguese HD channels, some of them, are only good for me to poop on until they improve their offer. 450€ for 15 channels is way more than I'm willing to pay to watch tv, at least for now. New boxes are coming out the next month or two, new and improved images and emus are also coming out, it costs me nothing to wait and see. :toke:

tux233

Reaction score
I see your point ... Reminds of the days before my first dreambox :)

I agree that if you just want a receiver to view TV the DM800 is expensive. Dreamboxes are for the enthusiastic fiddle type of person with above average linux and computer skills. The one that's always changing images, testing this or that addon, gets moaned at by the wife because you either spend too much time on the stuff or you screwed up the box just before she wanted to watch something on the telly :-doh2

IF you're that type of person, I say go for it now. You won't regret it. :cool:

Cheers

Prophessor

Folding*home
Reaction score
Website
koizo.sourceforge.net
My Satellite Setup
[ Relook 250S ]
My Location
Madeira
I already do all that tinkering with my present linux receiver, it's very similar to a dm500 with pvr, in mine I have a 250GB HDD. That's not an issue for me, the cost benefit ratio is.

sharper9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800. 80cm quad LNB. motorised
My Location
Twickenham area
tux233 said:
It's possible to use a USB disk for multiboot and recordings. You'll need to ...

1. Install the Barry Allen plugin.
2. Install the USB2HDD plugin.

Cheers

Can you tell me where to get USB2HDD plugin?

thx

sharper9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Twickenham area

sharper9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Twickenham area
tux233 said:
Here we go :

_http://www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/thread.php?threadid=7077&hilight=USB2HDD+plugin"][/url]www.dream-multimedia-tv.de/board/th...s little puppy? I'm a newby to the DB world.