2008 Dakar rally cancelled

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I have a friend who is actually participating in the 2008 rally and I would like to try and see him. In the past, were there feeds that could be tapped? Anyone has more details what stations are going to show it?

Cheers :-Cgrin

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Eurosport 19e have it on.

I don't know how comprehensive the coverage will be but they are heavily advertising it at the mo.

They start on Jan 4th.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Coverage starts on Eurosport next Friday 22.00 CET.

(9pm uk for us lesser mortals)

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
I hope that there are some feeds where I could see some more of this specific car

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The Dakar rally raid had been cancelled at the last minute due to security concerns - there had been terror threats made about the race.

:(

(AGI) - Paris, 4 Jan. - No Dakar rally this year: this famous competition - the toughest and most prestigious one in the world - has been cancelled at the last moment. It was announced by head of sports services for French television Daniel Bilalian at the Europe 1 radio station. Previously this race was known as the Paris-Dakar rally, but its name has been changed because the competition does not begin at Ville Lumiere anymore. This competition was born in 1979 and this is the first time that it is cancelled. However, the authorities have been reporting for a long time that they kept receiving threats of possible terror attacks along the rally route which goes through many Islamic countries, including Algeria where in the last months fundamentalism has been particularly active.'

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
And the winner 2008!!!

driver said and i quote "funny, no-one bothered me?"

Attachments

• Challenger2.jpg
    Challenger2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 20

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
There is the alternative of the charity race from Plymouth to Timbuktu, some of the crews have gone to the expense of filming and posting their experiences on video blogs.

http://www.plymouth-banjul.co.uk/

Group 4 started out early last week, (Gropu 5 is under starters orders ready for the 11th). Previous groups have either finished, still enroute (or have blown up). All jalpoies for this epic trip have been purchased at under £100 with a £15 service to prepare them for the journey.

Will link more on the individual teams as I find them

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I ahve a friend who was supposed to be competing in this years rally. I haven't spoken to him but he must be GUTTED. All the time and money spent...what a shame. I really feel sorry for the competitors, especially the privateers who often spend every penny they got to do such a thing.

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
T_G said:
I really feel sorry for the competitors, especially the privateers who often spend every penny they got to do such a thing.

I feel even sorrier for the much needed money that won't get spent in Africa "on route".

Maybe it will help us realize just how bad things are out there ...

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Saw yesterday while going on the A1 highway(Lisbon-Porto) crews; teams; organizers, all going home(Spain; France; Germany; etc.), with a very sad & glooming face. At the petrol stations, the conversation between everyone was " at least they could have done the stages here in Portugal, or even up to Morocco..." . It was a very sad day for everyone who was directly and indirectly involved with this rally. Stopped right next to Robbie Gordon on Thursday in downtown Lisbon at a stoplight next to his Hummer. Very sympathetic as we yelled to him in English. He did a burnout:-rock right next to us after we waved to him and wished him good luck!

Oh well,next year will have the rally for sure. :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I'm probably going to get lambasted for saying this, but if this is going to be an on-going issue, maybe they'd consider doing the rally across Europe instead.

OK, the surfaces will be nowhere near as challenging, but you are more or less totally sure a rally will happen.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Salty25 said:
I'm probably going to get lambasted for saying this, but if this is going to be an on-going issue, maybe they'd consider doing the rally across Europe instead.

OK, the surfaces will be nowhere near as challenging, but you are more or less totally sure a rally will happen.

Just to update, my powers of prediction (or suggestion?) are right. The 'Dakar' rally will now be held in South America for the foreseeable future - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/world_rally/7239355.stm

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hmmm as long that they stay clear of the cocaine lords and desert banditos...