2E / 2F effect on Gibraltar

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheap piece of junk Spanish (Tecatel) 120cm(x110) dish, Inverto Ultra twin LNB and Sky HD box.
My Location
Valencia (city)
So as I understand it, most apartment blocks in Gibraltar have their own cable system fed from a shared satellite dish on the roof. What will happen when 1N is switched off, will all these psuedo-Brits lose their cable TV, or does it work some other way over there?

thanks

Jester87

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m Sky On-Demand
My Location
Republic of Cyprus
So as I understand it, most apartment blocks in Gibraltar have their own cable system fed from a shared satellite dish on the roof. What will happen when 1N is switched off, will all these psuedo-Brits lose their cable TV, or does it work some other way over there?

thanks

Why do you refer to them as "psuedo-Brits"? Regards 1N surely they will just re-tune automatically to 2F?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It'll depend on whether there'll be enough signal (or even any!) from either of the satellites.

And if there is some signal then it'll depend on the size of the dish concerned. No data yet but it looks as though (a good) 3m or upwards will be needed.

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cheap piece of junk Spanish (Tecatel) 120cm(x110) dish, Inverto Ultra twin LNB and Sky HD box.
My Location
Valencia (city)
It'll depend on whether there'll be enough signal (or even any!) from either of the satellites.

And if there is some signal then it'll depend on the size of the dish concerned. No data yet but it looks as though (a good) 3m or upwards will be needed.

Yes, that's my point, is it practical for most apartments? 2D only needed a 1.5m (?) in Gibraltar.

PS the pseudo-Brit reference was a slightly provocative joke as most of them seem entirely Spanish, despite being very proud Brits.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I'm a hobbyist, not an installer, but I would imagine that the wind loading on 3m dish on a roof would be considerable. Perhaps a structural engineer's report needed even.

How windy does it get in Gib? Tarifa is just round the corner and they hold wind surfing contests there so I would imagine that they get some on occasion.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
How windy does it get in Gib? Tarifa is just round the corner and they hold wind surfing contests there so I would imagine that they get some on occasion.
That coast has some of the biggest wind farms in Europe... after all there has been no obstruction to the wind for the last 3000 miles.

Pride Of Cucamonga

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Valencia (city)
out of interest, what size dish would would you need to pick up 2A North beam in Gib / costa del sol? I imagine quite large, which means no 7 day Sky epg / recording for most down there.

ta

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I guess it would be an easy catch on a 2.4m dish, but not 24/7. Here I receive it on a 1.8m but it disappears into the noise for a few hours every day. The receiver is set to download at 7am every day so no problem with that.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Huevos, you have a 1.8 m dish now?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW