43.1°W (Intelsat 11)

I tried a few adjustments to the feed/scalar distance today to see if I could improve the signal level. There did not seems to be much scope but I gained a few tenths of a dB, just enough to completely lock all of the channels in the CNN mux on 4040 H, SR 30800. I was getting some breakup on these last night but they are all stable today.

I am quite close to locking one or two other transponders from 43.1W. Perhaps a bit more tweaking or a different LNB might help?

Attached below are pictures from all 8 channels in the CNN mux.

.



... if i remember rightly 43.1° West was a bit of a signal weakling up here in da Midlands for me - your doing well on the 2mtr
 
... if i remember rightly 43.1° West was a bit of a signal weakling up here in da Midlands for me - your doing well on the 2mtr


The main factor is that I am probably in a more favourable UK location for the 43.1W beam. The South seems to be OK for some of the fringe beams but not for others? The MENA beam from 26.0E in Ku-Band is another example where the South seems favoured?
 
Last edited:
The main factor is that I am probably in a more favourable UK location for the 43.1W beam. The South seems to be OK for some of the fringe beams but not for others? The MENA beam from 26.0E in Ku-Band is another example where the South seems favoured?

Indeed ... Pretty much out of reach for me here in the past ... and probably still is .... the 2.4 c.m. is now located with ... i think ... a clear view of this sat, but is currently setup with a K/U l.n.b.
 
Same here, not a sniff of a lock...
 
Hi - @moonbase
Spurred on by your result with your 2. metre dish down there .. i had a go last night with 2.4 c.m. and got some short lived results ... as well as being generally weaker - it seems very time dependent up here in the north .. got a borderline lock eventually, late evening on 3877 V 1546 .. but nowhere even near with 4040 H 30800 .
this morning the reverse is was case 4040 H held a lock all morning up to around 1.00 pm and 3877 was way under ..
now at 3.00 p.m. the situation has reversed again and is now as it was yesterday evening.

DSC01124-Optimized.webp DSC01128-Optimized.webp
 
Hi - @moonbase
Spurred on by your result with your 2. metre dish down there .. i had a go last night with 2.4 c.m. and got some short lived results ... as well as being generally weaker - it seems very time dependent up here in the north .. got a borderline lock eventually, late evening on 3877 V 1546 .. but nowhere even near with 4040 H 30800 .
this morning the reverse is was case 4040 H held a lock all morning up to around 1.00 pm and 3877 was way under ..
now at 3.00 p.m. the situation has reversed again and is now as it was yesterday evening.

View attachment 126042 View attachment 126043



@nelson_b

Well done, your perseverance has paid off.

I noticed the same with signal fluctuation during the day, the signal levels are like a rollercoaster.

The other thing I noticed was that of the 3 frequencies that I locked, they all had a different optimum pair of settings for the feed/scalar. I am referring to the distance of the feed throat aperture from the dish and the location of the scalar along the feed barrel as a pair.

I should point out that in order to get the feed throat aperture within the focal parameters of the dish I have the LNBF inserted into a non polo pipe without any steps. This pipe might be introducing some signal artefacts re the feed/scalar pair values?

I have attached below the feed/scalar pair tables for the three frequencies that I locked. I am not sure how relevant they are, but the general trends seem to be reproducable.
.
43.1W_Feed_Scalar.webp
 
Last edited:
...... can't have a look at this one at the moment - - the servo motor on the Polarity / Skew gizmo has gone belly up :eek: , got a spare one but not fitted it as yet
 
@nelson_b

I should point out that in order to get the feed throat aperture within the focal parameters of the dish I have the LNBF inserted into a non polo pipe without any steps. This pipe might be introducing some signal artefacts re the feed/scalar pair values?

Yes ... maybe introducing artifacts ..... (thanks for the feed/scalar pair tables ) ... although i,v noticed on Paksat 38 E
(also very borderline locks ) that different Scalar and /or l.n.b positions were sometimes needed on some transponders when i was playing around on that sat last year ..

I wasn,t aware of transponder 3945 H ... its not listed on Flysat ( where i went to update my t.p. list yesterday ) but i see it is on Lingsat ... i,m getting very occasional and brief locks on that one here at the moment .

Too showery here to play out yet this evening ..
 
I'm back :cool:

After a few more adjustments with the feed and scalar I managed to scrape an intermittent lock on the LAPTV mux from 43.1W.

LAPTV Mux
3927 V, SR 30000, DVB-S, QPSK, FEC 5/6, signal level required for a lock = 6.5db
encryption = PowerVu

I have attached a screen capture below from one of the channels in the mux. The signal level is bordering on the threshold for a lock with quite a bit of breakup

.
43.1W_20190901_3926V_SR30000_p01.webp
 
Last edited:
I'm back :cool:

After a few more adjustments with the feed and scalar I managed to scrape an intermittent lock on the LAPTV mux from 43.1W.

LAPTV Mux
3927 V, SR 30000, DVB-S, QPSK, FEC 5/6, signal level required for a lock = 6.5db
encryption = PowerVu

I have attached a screen capture below from one of the channels in the mux. The signal level is bordering on the threshold for a lock with quite a bit of breakup

.
View attachment 126062


Nice one @moonbase

That,s another t.p. i wasn,t aware of .... i need to re do my t.p. list from Lyngsat i think - l.o.l. ... i,v just been comparing their listings with Flysats ..... Flysat has many differences, and many missing from 3895 V upwards ??
 
Nice one @moonbase

That,s another t.p. i wasn,t aware of .... i need to re do my t.p. list from Lyngsat i think - l.o.l. ... i,v just been comparing their listings with Flysats ..... Flysat has many differences, and many missing from 3895 V upwards ??


If I remember correctly there are one or two other satellites where Flysat is missing some frequencies. Possibly the worst one is 65.0W where Flysat has the two satellites at 65.0W listed as empty whereas Lyngsat has quite a few frequencies listed.


Going back to 43.1W, of the four frequencies that I locked, the LAPTV mux on 3925 V, SR 30000 was the most difficult. The other three frequencies have signal level variations during the day but there always seems to be enough signal for a lock. The LAPTV mux needed a few attempts with variations of the the feed/scalar pair values.

I have attached below what I think will be the final feed/scalar pair values table for 43.1W. There are currently no other frequencies that I have reasonable hopes of locking unless I increase the dish size or there is a change to the beam footprint or uplink signal strength.

.
43.1W_Feed_Scalar.webp
 
With an Inverto Cband, I was able to receive something
exotic in Linear for the first time: TV AMazonas.

Probably nothing special for you all, but for me .....
All without feedhorn because of lack of space at my revolver,
I had to work with the rubbish bag principle.
On top of that there are trees on the horizon that are a bit disturbing,
Let's see in winter how it will look
 

Attachments

  • müllbeutel.webp
    müllbeutel.webp
    534.7 KB · Views: 20
  • tv amazonas 3830 2221 V 43W.webp
    tv amazonas 3830 2221 V 43W.webp
    78.2 KB · Views: 25
Canal UM Europa & RIT TV on 4.134 V, SR 4166, FEC 3/5, 8PSK, DVB-S2

4134.png UM.jpg rit.jpg
 
just goes like that
 

Attachments

  • 43,0° west 43.webp
    43,0° west 43.webp
    165.2 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top