61.5w

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I know exactly what you mean. Hence the price of course.

L.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Oh Yessss :-mamster

Attachments

• 61.5.JPG
    61.5.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 95

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Lancelot said:
Oh Yessss :-mamster

Pretty neat :)

Amazonas is under the horizon here so i need to dig a tunnel.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Shame it's data only - but I've put the data pid scanner on it, and if i get anything I'll get filegrabber out.

L.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
What dish size do you have?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
A 125 Gibbi with an MTI blue line 0.3. Just standard stuff.

L.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
J

Jeff_19341

52.2N & 1.2E near coast, had to change my HH120 motor from USALS to Diseqc 1.2 to get from 58W to 61W but found it!
Pic 1 screen shot, pic 2 dish at 61W, 1m Gib and Golden Interstar 0.3dB lnb and Technomate TM-5000DA receiver.

Likvid

Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
JuMbuCk said:
52.2N & 1.2E near coast, had to change my HH120 motor from USALS to Diseqc 1.2 to get from 58W to 61W but found it!
Pic 1 screen shot, pic 2 dish at 61W, 1m Gib and Golden Interstar 0.3dB lnb and Technomate TM-5000DA receiver.

Pretty good elevation of 8.2 at your location for 61.0W......

J

Jeff_19341

No further than that though, neighbours roof in way. Nothing to find out there anyway. Just like my 53east, picture getting better as leaves fall off of trees. Any further and house roof gets in the way. Not going to move the pole as I'm satisfied with what I can get. Cheers.

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
I initally thought that the OP might be receiving Amazonas, but in fact the frequencies he quoted on the digitalspy forum correspond exactly to those on Echostar 3. Way too much of a co-incidence for Amazonas to be testing a 'Dish Network' testcard on exactly the same frequencies.

I've checked Amazonas many times and have never seen anything on the analyzer other than that single data transponder. As it happens, there is also a strong data transponder available from Estrela de Sul at 63W for those who can view that far west.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I'm game :)
Where is it ??

L.

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
11.633 Horizontal. Unfortunately, no SR and any blindsearch of it fails to lock either.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Likvid said:
Actually i beleive it's Amazonas at 61.0W you received, it's a new satellite and it got a beam covering Europe with about 50dBW peak at your location.

Probably it was some tests going on as the satellite doesn't ahve any active channels transmitting yet.
Lancelot said:
That makes a lot of sense Likvid. 50dBW is a huge signal for a 2.4mtr dish though.
I should be able to get that here with my 1.2 Gibbi.

I'm going to have to sit here and scan it all day now :rolleyes:
Likvid said:
Yes, but the fortecstar 2.4M petalized dish isn't performing like a real 2.4M dish if you get me, it's maybe more like a 1.6-1.8M dish.

Amazonas received 06.10.2005 in Zagreb, Croatia.

Now hold on a minute, guys! The info we have so far certainly does NOT indicate he's receiving Amazonas at 61.0°W!

First of all, he said he was getting signal off three transponders: 12,326 MHz, 12,442 MHz and 12,473 MHz, the two last ones being mentioned in another thread in another forum. None of the transponders on Amazonas carry those frequencies. (If you aren't convinced, just go their website, click on Documentos and then on [PDF] Ficha técnica ....)

Also he said (in his very first post) he was receiving a Dish Network test screen.

Even if he were receiving the European beam of Amazonas, this would have an EIRP of 46 dBW in Ireland, meaning an 80 cm dish would be enough to pick up the signal, meaning his 2.4 m dish (despite the feed mismatch and all) would be SERIOUSLY UNDERPERFORMING (and that's putting it mildly)!

Furthermore, he said he was using an Echostar 3000 (Dish Network receiver from the States) to search for a signal, which means it's unlikely he would have been able to pick up any European broadcasts on it, since US broadcasts (at least an overwhelming number of them) use a different symbol rate than in Europe (some even use a completely different transmission type altogether) and satellite receivers originating from satellite TV providers (such as Dish Network) tend to be tightly specified (some won't allow you to set certain parameters, such as the symbol rate, which is fixed! In the UK users face similar restrictions on their Sky DigiBoxes, they're only allowed to choose between two fixed symbol rates when tuning in channels manually.).

So, at least as far as I'm concerned, he was indeed receiving signals off 61.5°W. The only thing I want to know more of, was he using the correct type of feed, or is there still room for improvement on his dish?

If you are reading this — stevienire — please post back and tell us if the dealer you bought your dish from, knew that you were going to try and catch American satellites like the one at 61.5°W and if he made any modifications to or provided you with a feedhorn that would receive circularly polarized signals as well.

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
Hitchcock said:
since the system in the States is a bit different (different bit and symbol rates etc.),

Different bit? I'm aware of the Digicipher II transmission system used on some US sats instead of MPEG2, but don't know of any other differences.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Did get a useable signal but as you say, without S/R no good just yet

L.:)

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
I think that signal on 63W is something to do with Boeing Connexions in-flight internet service.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Orthoclipse said:
Different bit? I'm aware of the Digicipher II transmission system used on some US sats instead of MPEG2, but don't know of any other differences.

Ooops, I was thinking of DirecTV, they have something called DSS. But you're right, it may be the same underlying DVB MPEG 2 system used on all the other sats.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Orthoclipse said:

Thanks for the link above, very interesting reading. It basically says that there are three (discounting SCPC) systems in the US/Canada: DVB, DSS and Digicipher II, and they are all mutually incompatible.