6ft Prodelin vs 9ft / 12ft Prime Focus Ku Made – Real World Performance?

SEOShamsher

Member
My Satellite Setup
Past setup:
• 8-ft dish covering 68.5°E, 75.0°E (Ku), 78.5°E, 83.5°E, 90.0°E, 93.5°E (Ku), 100°E, 105.5°E, 115.0°E
• 6-ft dish at 49.0°E
• Receivers: COSHIP CDVB2000B, Dish TV Zinga

Current status:
Sold all equipment — want to start again from scratch.
My Location
Ludhiana, Punjab, India
Hi all,

I need some advice from those who have real hands-on experience comparing different dish sizes and types.

I’m currently looking at picking up a few dishes:

  • 12 ft prime focus KU (iron, looks older)
  • 9 ft prime focus KU (aluminum, much cleaner and better condition)
  • 6 ft fiber dish (likely Prodelin) — actually there are two different sellers offering the same 6 ft fiber, so I’ll be inspecting both
I’ll be visiting the seller in a few hours to check the 12 ft and 9 ft in person, and I also plan to inspect both 6 ft fiber dishes since I’m quite interested in adding one (or more) as part of my setup.

Right now, I’m mainly focused on signal comparison on weak satellites, especially those very low on the horizon (0–1° elevation), where performance really matters.

I’m a bit confused because I’ve heard very mixed opinions:

  • Some say a 6 ft Prodelin-type fiber dish can outperform larger dishes due to better design and efficiency
  • Others told me the 12 ft is built in the older style (deeper ~0.7 f/D ratio) and may not be as efficient
  • From the pictures, the 9 ft aluminum dish actually looks much better in shape less deep and condition, while the 12 ft looks quite old
So I wanted to ask:

  • Has anyone here directly compared 6 ft fiber vs 9 ft or 12 ft prime focus dishes on weak satellites?
  • Can a 6 ft Prodelin perform anywhere close to a 9 ft or 12 ft, especially at very low elevation signals?
  • For multi-LNB setups, can a 6 ft perform similarly to larger dishes, or do 9 ft / 12 ft clearly have an advantage?
  • In real-world use, what matters more — dish size or dish accuracy/condition?
My current plan is something like:

  • 1 large dish (either 9 ft or 12 ft)
  • 1–2 × 6 ft fiber dishes
But before I finalize anything, I’d really like to hear from people who’ve actually compared these setups.

All pics are attached —
12 ft (iron, older),
9 ft (aluminum, cleaner),
and both 6 ft fiber options.

Would really appreciate your input, especially from anyone who has tested these sizes side by side on weak signals.

Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 6 fiber offset 1 (2).webp
    6 fiber offset 1 (2).webp
    118 KB · Views: 50
  • 6 fiber offset 1.webp
    6 fiber offset 1.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 6 ft fiber 2nd option.webp
    6 ft fiber 2nd option.webp
    202.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 6 ft fiber 2nd option.jpeg.webp
    6 ft fiber 2nd option.jpeg.webp
    212.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 9ft.webp
    9ft.webp
    102.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 9ft.jpeg (2).webp
    9ft.jpeg (2).webp
    43 KB · Views: 34
  • 9ft.jpeg.webp
    9ft.jpeg.webp
    63.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 12 ft Iron.webp
    12 ft Iron.webp
    124.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 12 ft Iron.jpeg (2).webp
    12 ft Iron.jpeg (2).webp
    256.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 12 ft Iron.jpeg (3).webp
    12 ft Iron.jpeg (3).webp
    151.1 KB · Views: 48
How big is that in normal world measurements?
 
6 ft ≈ 1.83 m
9 ft ≈ 2.74 m
12 ft ≈ 3.66
 
Back
Top