a general question

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ho guys,
I don't get much chance to monitor this forum on a regular basis.
I just like to know if there is any recent news about any possible move that bbc and itv channels may have have adopted to enable those viewers especially in southern europe to wacth their channels without the need of a huge dish. (i.e. for central italy is it still the same story, such us 2 or 3m dish to get astra 2 D??)
Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Let me guess - you have seen that badly written article that appeared on astra2d.com :D

As far as we know the beeb & ITV etc aint going anywhere.

Freesat will launch in the spring and their EPG will be carried on Eurobird 1.

When the C4 encryption contract runs out they are expected to move onto Astra 2D as well and go fta

:D :D

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
so, if freeview is moving to eutesat, does it mean that anywhere in europe we can get it without a huge dish ???

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Freesat is NOT moving to Eutelsat - their epg will be carried on EB 1 nothing more.

The same channels will be carried on the same satellites but the new venture will have a new epg system and require Freesat receivers if you want full functionality.

If you have a fta box on a dish connected to 28E then nothing will change.

If you currently require massive dishes for BBC & ITV reception you will still require them for the BBC ITV (& probably C4 later in 2008)

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Analoguesat (and others), you may be interested in the following thread on this subject in A.N. Other forum

Check the next to last post (by Tomo3090) here

_http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9845&posts=9

I had to check it wasn't posted on 1st April.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Id say that post is a load of baloney!

The **Dutch broadcasters** pay the BBC for the rights to carry the BBC channels on their cable systems, and I think the Swiss do too plus possibly one or two more.

Ive never heard any suggestions of the French paying the Beeb or Sky to cover their territory - in fact as Sky dont have programme / sports rights for France as far as I am aware they would be breaking their own rules!

Its an accident of coverage no more - its impossible to shape a spacecraft transmission reflector so it cuts off at the border of any particular country.

PS please do not post live links to other forums :).

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Analoguesat said:
Let me guess - you have seen that badly written article that appeared on astra2d.com :D
Which article AS? PM me if you prefer.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Analoguesat said:
Id say that post is a load of baloney!

That's a far politer adjective than the one used in my own forum - it was one of my subscribers who found it in the first place and shared it with us.

Analoguesat said:
PS please do not post live links to other forums :).

Apologies:-slaphead