Help Required Actuator Setup

MARK

Reaction score
Website
www.satellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD+,Dreambox500HD,800SEHD,tm5402hdCI+SUPER+lots of other STB's,1mtr ISS motorised
Pc's far too many lol
My Location
Good ole Blighty
Looking for a tut on setting one of these up,can't really see anything in the forum,looked in the obvious places....

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Looking for a tut on setting one of these up,can't really see anything in the forum,looked in the obvious places....

More info will help mark :-), are you just replacing an actuator old for new ?, is it a new setup with new dish ?. pictures can help etc , the more info you provide peeps can help you quicker on your way :-).

MARK

Reaction score
Website
www.satellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD+,Dreambox500HD,800SEHD,tm5402hdCI+SUPER+lots of other STB's,1mtr ISS motorised
Pc's far too many lol
My Location
Good ole Blighty
All from new looking into getting a larger dish,so wondered how you go about setting one up & guidelines....

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
All from new looking into getting a larger dish,so wondered how you go about setting one up & guidelines....

C BAND / KU BAND etc ? what are you after picking up ? more info mark of what you are trying to achieve, its a big world out there for sat, and you need to explain more for help :-).

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
What dish, size jack, location etc

Sent from my Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

MARK

Reaction score
Website
www.satellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Pc's far too many lol
My Location
Good ole Blighty
Lol i guess it aint like setting up a Diseqc motor or no rule of thumb in setting one of these up,based in n/w of uk,looking at least 2.0mtr dish,aint to sure on size of actuator probably bigger the better ehh lol...

Hopefully just use it for feeds & expand my hobby....

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
lol its does not matter were you live , the setup is still the same apart from the degree you set the mount to :-), is it footy your after ? are you just want a big dish to hunt ?, come on spill the beans what you want to do/find/watch :-).

MARK

Reaction score
Website
www.satellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Pc's far too many lol
My Location
Good ole Blighty
Mostly feeds with some footy anything goes really mate,just interested in what i can receive,running out of ideas with my current setup lol.....

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
I do hope this is going to be a ground mounted dish, as you want a 2M plus, probably the best would be a Channel Master 2.4M, but it will probably be expensive.
In most of the UK we are allowed upto a 1 Metre dish, without needing to apply for planning permission, so I hope you can hide it from view, or have understanding neighbours:)
You might want to consider a Channel Master 1.8M dish, as a compromise, this should pick up most things.
Setting it up is the same as smaller dishes, you just require a bigger actuator, to get the full satellite arc, probably a V-Box II, to interpret the Diseqc 1.2 commands, then manually drive the motor and store the satellite positions.
Have a search through the members pictures section, for Channel Master 1.8M dishes:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...aster-180cm-with-actuator.139134/#post-733800

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I would get the setup that you want then, then post up how to setup what you have up :).

At my location on my 1.2 dish I can lock the jsc sports 3pm kick offs but I don't have any means of viewing them without spending money on a card.

Last edited:

MARK

Reaction score
Website
www.satellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Pc's far too many lol
My Location
Good ole Blighty
Most certainly will be ground mounted lol....

Anyway will take everything onboard & start to get the wheels in motion,iam off for a look around to get the gist of setting it up in my head before the real headaches start lol....

Thanks alot guys...

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The principle of a polar mount and actuator is exactly the same as a DiSEqC motor. A DiSEqC motor is just a polar mount and mechanism to drive it contained in a neat box. The only difference is, due to geometry, a polar mount/actuator setup can't cover as much of the arc (however long the actuator is). If you follow the DiSEqC tutorial the theory of getting the mount to track the arc is the same in both cases.

MARK

Reaction score
Website
www.satellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Pc's far too many lol
My Location
Good ole Blighty
Many thanks Huevos,

Basically what i wanted to know,great help.....

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The only difference is, due to geometry, a polar mount/actuator setup can't cover as much of the arc (however long the actuator is).

I will have to double check my roof system, but I'm almost certain it gets the full 72E to 72W from a single 36" actuator.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I'm almost certain it gets the full 72E to 72W from a single 36" actuator.
Let's say your location is 0º longitude, 72º to 72º would mean your mount is not biased in either direction. The satellite at 72º needs 77.2º rotation due to topographic location. 77.2º x 2 equals 154º. That gives you 26º before the theoretical maximum a triangle will allow. If you make that as unbiased as possible that will be 13º at each end of the arc and worse if slightly biased. Anyway, 13º, and a bit of wind and you are well on the way to the very dangerous condition of the mount going over centre. But that is theory. In practice the mount will normally run into itself before getting anywhere near that amount of travel. With my mount I have clearanced it a lot and still only get 60E to 60W.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It is a 36 inch (92cm) motor, driving from one extreme to another on an elongated 1.5m backplate, and I calculate the maximum travel as the length of the motor.
The end stop on both sides is just under 70cms.

Easterly satelltes are confirmed down to the horizon (used to get 72.5 at a pinch before the tree at the other end of the park grew). Will try the Western extreme later in the week when I have time. Greenwich is just a couple of clicks away.

I believe a satellite at 72East does not require 77 degrees at this latitude.

Last edited:

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Is the actuator on the east side of the mount? Don't know what satellite you can check over the west side. Not much there in Ku past 45º.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No, actuator is connected to the western side, maximum extension to get 72 East.

There are images on the site, but I'll be damned if I can find them.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I can only reach 30W to 46E with my 12 inch actuator it would bottom out if I tried for more. the motor that is.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I use 18' actuator and easily receive arc 90*E-30*W and there is still way to go more West and East, only obstacles close to horizon limit reception from 96,5*E and 45*W. As I wrote somewhere earlier, it could be possible to go H-H with any size of actuator by properly adjusting it's mounting points.