advice needed

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi guys i need some of your expert advice. i´ll give you my basics. location: tenerife
setup: pace 2200 on 28.2e, 1m offset dish, no sky sub.
i have just found out today that it might be possible for me to have a connection to a 2m dish on 19.2 east or 1m dish on 30w

i need advice, i originally came on to this forum for info after we lost the bbc. after looking over various threads i have become a bit confused with what can be done. all i want is some english language channels and maybe some footie, i´m not interested in mature content. i did wonder about getting my dish set on 26e to get the orbit pack, but you guys have set me wondering. i have been on various online shops, mostly spanish or italian where the prices are a lot lower and its easier to pay in euros. i´ll stop wavering. what i would like to know is, can you recommend a receiver ie. with cam embedded or would i be better off with a normal one + a matrix? or a diseq motor? will i need to buy cards? which ones? i nearly bought a xtreme ucas one till i read some of the threads about them. i´ll give you an idea of the offers i saw tonight. universal diseq motor approx 38quid, id ci 24 receiver + matrix or skycrypt cam 140 quid, 11 goldwafer cards 28 quid. there are loads of others like kaon, echostar, lemon. its just i have no idea what to get. thanking you in advance rob43.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Hi Rob, I'm no expert but can tell you about the Lemon as I have just bought one to connect to my VMagic MPEG capture card in my PC. I cannot fault the Lemon (I have the 07 CI version), for the price its a great box.

With regards to you location, I am bit concerned about the Lemon's tuner sensativity. It reaches only about 50-60% signal strength and quality where I am (Holland), although the picture is very good. I don't know what will happen during a storm with very heavy cloud cover.

My Topfield box which shares the same twin LNB has 99% signal strength and about 95-98% signal quality. If you can find out if the Lemon is ok in your area then you could do much worse.

I have tried a couple of UCAS recievers but was disappointed because of all the hassle and little incompatablity problems I had which is why I now only use common interface receivers.

As far as I know Kaon are the people behind the Xtreme.

I don't know what make of motor you are thinking about but I would like to add that I had a motek which as far as I am concerned is crap, I won't go into the details here but I wouldn't use another one even if it was free. I am now using an Aston motor and am really please with it. It makes more noise that the Motek but at least it actually works properly. STAB are also very good apparently.

If you buy locally then ask your dealer if you can exchange the receiver if it doesn't suffice.

God luck!

Chris

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi chris and thanks for the reply. i´ll certainly go back and ask about the lemon, but my spanish is crap so we´ll see. i´ll also try some other shops aswell to see whats on offer. i´m afraid my budget won´t go to a topfield just now. i think it was reading one of your posts that put me off the xtreme, and i did´nt know kaon made them. although the kaon i saw was ci only. i´m not sure what make the motor was but i´ll try and find out. there appears to be no way they will let me connect to the community dishes without subscribing to to canal + or via digital (where you have to rent a receiver) i can´t believe this is legal as the block of flats we are in owns the dishes & the control equipment! only the company who installed the wiring & cableing & and the administrator are allowed into the control room. the company must have something to do with canal+. and we used to think old rupes had a monopoly!!!!! we also lost channel 5 today, one day after i order a freeview card (sods law).
anyway thanks again. p.s. are you or your forebears scottish? as gall seems to be a scottish name. rob.

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
C5 Try 12304H 27500 2/3 you might be lucky

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Hi Rob,

The Lemon is a great buy and made in Germany which is usually a good thing in terms of quality. They do have even cheaper receivers than the 07 CI, the 01 CI starts at around 129 euro's (139 euro's with RF modulator) here in Holland. I don't know if the Lemon's lower signal strength/quality on the graphic bars actually means anything in real terms.

I have always avoided using the Canal Digitaal receivers here due to the Sky like limitations of the equipment. I use an Aston CAM with an official Canal Digitaal card to decrypt the Dutch FTV stuff (a lot of which is English with subtitles). If i were you i would go and speak to the administrator about the legallity of not allowing you to access the control room, keep it friendly though. Its about time Canal Digit(a)al/Canal+ got its act together and offered the same programming throughout Europe, making full use of DSat such as multiple language sound tracks etc. I am sure they would make wads of cash if they did this. As it now stands its just not worth the subscription fee for the megre offering here in Holland.

I am indeed from Scottish stock, my father being from Stranraer which is where we lived for a while when I was a wee lad. Gall btw isn't my full name, just the first part of it, the other part is acher. cjgall is just a user id I use when the id I really want is already taken.

All the best, chris

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
Razor said:
C5 Try 12304H 27500 2/3 you might be lucky

no signal i´m afraid. thanks anyway razor. rob

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi again chris. it was the o1 ci i was offered but here they´re punting it for 220 euros! i called a brit installer today about the orbit package, they said i would have to buy an orbit receiver. i have tried the administrator but he speaks so fast i don´t have a clue, even when i ask him to slow it down a bit. there are only 2 brits in the block so we´re not high in priority. i´ll look around the threads for any more info. then i´ll try a spanish installer on monday when i have more time. as for the motor have a look yourself www.ciberland.com/indice2.htm

Gallacher eh! is that the tobacco barons or the golfers !!!! i´m from a lot farther north & east than you. away up in eternally sunny (not) aberdeenshire

thanks again chris. rob

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
220 euro's seems a bit steep for the 01 CI, thats more or
less what I paid for the 07 CI.

Do you mean the Orbit package from Orbit network on Arabsat
3A at 26.0°E? If so you should be able to use an AstonCryp
CAM like the one I use for CanalDigitaal as they both use
Mediaguard 2. The Aston works well for me although I do not
get the CanalDigitaal EPG.

Btw. I'm certainly no tobacco baron or golfer.

Take care,

Chris

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi chris. i thought it was steep to, wont be back to that shop!!! i went to one of the orbit installers today to have a look. turns out there is no card, its encryption is embedded. its in a humax box. i´ll have to decide on something soon or the wife and kids will lynch me. look after yuorself. rob43

silvernet

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
UK
Hi Rob,

I may be able to help you. First of all I have no idea of reception in Tenerife, however I use a Kaon 570 with 2 CI's built in. this was purchased from Ciberland in Gandia, near to my second home.. The good news is, they have just employed a new young lady member of staff named Flavia who speaks perfect English, give her a call.

The Kaon works perfectly on Hotbird 13 degrees and Astra 19 degrees, and Hispasat at 30 degrees. I use mine with a Matrix Reloaded or Joker Cam, all purchased from Ciberland.
225 Euros for box and Cam plus IVA and delivery. I would avoid the Extreme Hornet.

As far as Channel 5 is concerned, yes they altered frequencies last week to a weaker one in Spain, however it is only marginally weaker, nothing like as weak as BBC ITV and 4, you may well get 5 back with a slightly bigger dish and / or a better LNB. I still get 5 all day and night on a 90 cm dish near Gandia. A Pace 2200 is not the best box to have in Spain ( or anywhere else ) a Panasonic 30 or Pace 2600 will probably bring 5 back.

Finally, beware of so called Brit Sat Installers in Spain, there are loads of cowboy pretenders out there. You are probably better off dealing with a Spanish one.

Hope this helps, if you need any more specific info, feel free to PM me.

silvernet

rob43

Reaction score
My Location
canaries
hi silvernet. i ended up getting a nextwave 2500 ucas from a brit dealer here. i did have a look on the ciberland site, but decided that if anything went wrong it would be easier to have it fixed here rather than send it back to mainland spain. the dealer has been here for years and i have used him before to install a dish. they also offer free progamming on the cards so its handy for me just now, till i get more clued up anyway!
yes i know about the bandit installers, i´ve just tried to hunt one down here in tenerife for one of the mods. no luck though. anyway thanks for the reply. rob43