advice on satellite systems..

peter12321

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hi every 1.i am really interested in getting a satellite so i can recieve movies and sports from other countrys but ive read a lot of things and there seems to be a lot more to it than i first thought..i currently own sky digital which i know the reciever is only good for sky so i was wondering whether there was a decoder on the market that would operate a motorised dish and recieve sky aswell as the the foriegn channels.im also intrested in buying a card reader etc so again could some 1 please help me on which 1 would be the best option and what sort of card i should be buying..all help would be most appreiciated..thanx

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum, as a start I'll move this post to Digital Systems, which will cover the more general nature of your post.

There are no receivers which will enable viewing of both Sky Digital and other encryptions, as there is not a Videoguard CAM and the digibox will not support other CAMs, there is a slot, but it is disabled.

To recommend one particular receiver is very difficult, mainly because there are so many good ones and people's opinions differ.

Have a read through some of the threads in this section, there is a lot of discussion on the better known receivers and also what you will need for reception of films etc.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Make sure that you can position any dish you may be fitting , so that it will give reception of 30West

Thats probably one of the few positions where you will get uninterrupted (well most of the time) viewing of high class entertainment of all types.