Aerial mast needs replacing!!!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Ok, I was looking at the aerial mast during the week wondering if I could pop a WiFi Cantenna onto it, when I noticed the base of the mast, it's ready for collapse... :(

So, what diameter mast do I need to get to replace it (assuming I brave climbing up onto the roof through the skylight!!!)? :confused

I do have a pic of the aerial and mast but it's not clear enough to see the rusted end of the mast, which is a few millimetres below one of the U-bolts....:eek:

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Can you not go up and measure the diameter?

As all the supporting U bolts etc will still fit.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You'll probably find that the U bolts and brackets are pretty much unusable if the mast is that bad, but surely that is the responsibility of the landlord?

PS. climbing on pitched rooves withought any safety equipment like a cat ladder or at the very least a rope and harness can be very dodgy. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Here's a couple of pics, one is of my aerial's base, and as you can see, all U-bolts are now too rusted for any re-use, and the base of the mast is nearly rusted away... :(

The second is of an aerial 2 doors up, that looks like a recent installation, which I guess was a crap install and got knocked over by those strong winds a few months back, and is what my aerial could do soon... :eek:

As for the responsibility, yes it is the landlord's, but I'm one of those who'd rather do it themselves (I'll get the LL to get the new bits, then I take the aerial off the old mast, then cut the U-bolts off the mast, pop the new U-Bolts on, add the new mast, fit the aerial onto it, align it back onto Pendle Forest, and if I have one made up, pop a WiFi cantenna on the top of the mast!!! :D ) assuming I can overcome my fear of heights....:eek:

Attachments

• aerialmast.jpg
    aerialmast.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 48
  • PICT0030.JPG
    PICT0030.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 41

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
TBVH mate you might aswell put a new lashing kit up there to hold the mast.. the current is very poor.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeshi said:
TBVH mate you might aswell put a new lashing kit up there to hold the mast.. the current is very poor.

Looks serviceable to me, bit of surface rust on the plates, or am I missing something? :confused

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
just get a couple of new u bolts cut about 6 to 12 inch of the mast and stick it back in the bracket

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
2cvbloke said:
Looks serviceable to me, bit of surface rust on the plates, or am I missing something? :confused

Fair enough, i dont use them lashin kits anymore.. but up to you.. new ones only cost a couple of quid.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
aba said:
just get a couple of new u bolts cut about 6 to 12 inch of the mast and stick it back in the bracket

If I did that the I might aswell sit the aerial ontop of the chimney stack!!! :-rofl2

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeshi said:
Fair enough, i dont use them lashin kits anymore.. but up to you.. new ones only cost a couple of quid.

Lashing kits are completely foreign to me, I've gotten so used to T & K's and tripod dish mounts... :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are going to do it, you might as well do it properly and put up a new cradle mount and mast, the aerial will probably be knackered as well.

Again, putting up a mast on a roof is potentially dangerous without a cat ladder, is the roof tiled or slated and if tiled, what size tiles? I do this for a living and will not step on a pitched tiled roof without a cat ladder.

Below is a picture of a cradle mount lashed to a chimney.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 46

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
If you are going to do it, you might as well do it properly and put up a new cradle mount and mast, the aerial will probably be knackered as well.

Again, putting up a mast on a roof is potentially dangerous without a cat ladder, is the roof tiled or slated and if tiled, what size tiles? I do this for a living and will not step on a pitched tiled roof without a cat ladder.

Well, if that much work needs doing, then I'll get the landlord to sort it out with a local installer... :eek:

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
rolfw said:

Tast was east to install (flat roof).

as for the cradle... "lashing" do you ever use the ratchet type?? if so which do you think is best,? yours or ratchet?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I use the ratchet type when it is difficult to fit a standard lashing only, I feel more confident that the standard lashing will last and support a bigger aerial and mast.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I think a ratchet type would probably need to be used on my chimney as on t'other side of the stack is a long drop to my alleyway.... :eek:

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
No

You just need the following;-

Goggles (as Required)
Dust Mask (as Required)
Harness
Cow Tail
Fall Arrest
Rope
Microlite
Laddermate
Eye Bolt (Secured at eye Level)
Yoke

Then you could use a ratchet type. and you will be safe ;)

Trust me i threw myself off a roof backwords in training using the above and i was safe as houses.. ;)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Rolfw - you've left your screw driver sitting in the chimney the lashing.

Or is that part of the set up?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, Oh crumbs, wondered where that had gone. :-lmao

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yeshi said:
No

You just need the following;-

Goggles (as Required)
Dust Mask (as Required)
Harness
Cow Tail
Fall Arrest
Rope
Microlite
Laddermate
Eye Bolt (Secured at eye Level)
Yoke

Then you could use a ratchet type. and you will be safe ;)

Trust me i threw myself off a roof backwords in training using the above and i was safe as houses.. ;)

Isn't a Microlite a small aircraft??? :confused

Anyways, I'll get the landlord to get it done when it collapses, I have my Porty dish to get freesat so I can live without freeview for a while... :D