All BBC digital channels will be FTA on Astra 2D

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
This dual transmissions, where does this information come from?
Can this really be the end of BBC for us Middleeuropeans??

If so, I have a solution: Simply destroy the new satellite they are putting up, and everything willbe ok. :-righton

Rolfw will soon post his secret blueprints for a nuclear powered hydroelectric Birillium-Alloy hybrid mental cyborg Astra Sat remover Laser Device.
We will then assembly it in a suitable location, and bosh, problem gone...This is the power of the internet, all the information is freely available....

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, from the launch performance of late, it won't require any outside influence for the new satellite to disappear into the Southern Ocean. :)

I can certainly see where Cordless is coming from, they would almost certainly transmit on alternate polarities, but the result would still be to swamp any residual fringe signal. This may of course be far in the future, depending on transponder demands

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
First, @ T_G "why be negative?" "Negative" is not having the ability to receive televisual delights from the land I last came and from a land which I have little desire to return to presently. I want everything and nothing and will soon have the latter. F'rump. Oh, and I hate German TV ;) Holland beckons!

Onwards!

An article in a trade rag more or less revealled Astra's desire for 'localised footprints' or 'market specific' satellites.

Yet, if Astra 2D was destined for the UK market from the offset - what happened about 2C; why is that still at 19.2°?

Astra's frquency plan speaks of the three main (eu) orbital positions; i.e., 1, 2 and 3 so it makes a mockery of the system to have birds siting on the wrong branch (nicht in ordnung). Accepted that they have to re-locate on ocassions.

Covering old ground:-

More than any other broadcaster, I imagine that Disney and Hallmark lobbied heavily for Astra 2D; given that they have most of the EU sown up with local language packages. ITV and the BBC don't: i.e., they offer no real territorial threat to the dominant american's selling content for their own ends.

And, so, the problem ends where it started. Lack of capacity at 28.2°. The good news is that 2C is beaming down so-to-be-redundant PAL signals. Marvellous! when they've stopped it can then move over to us.

As for the lengthier discussion about frequencies - I'm confused.

The two Astra slots (19 and 28) already use the same frequencies, how would this cause interference/swamping? Techy explanation required.

Have Fun,

Mark.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
To answer your last question Mark, most satellite locations share the odd frequency with some other locations, but the difference is that your dish is ideally only pointing at one of them at any given time. The isolation afforded by a tightly focussed dish is quite good, any signal hitting the dish at the wrong angle will not hit the feed horn of the LNB,

If two co-located birds are transmitting at the same frequency, even if they are pointing in different directions, there will still be a degree of overlap and therefor swamping of the lesser strength signal where they meet.