All BBC digital channels will be FTA on Astra 2D

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
See

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2843069.stm

BBC has decided to stop encryping their channels, so it will no longer be necedssary to have a Sky Digibox to receive them!
The Astra 2D satellite is, however, the one with a tightly focussed beam. It only reaches UK and some more western parts of Europe (Belgium, Netherlands, France, Eire, etc.).

2old

Maxi 1

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Sweden
I looked at the thread on the BBC but I do not see any mention of Astra 2D.

If Astra 2D is to be used does it mean that the north and south satellites will be disused so causing problems for the overseas market ?

Deanobajio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
England
How would they get away with showing content only allowed for showing in the UK, e.g Football matches etc. Would they have to pay more for the licences for these event or will they simply stop the feed when this kind of content is on?

sgar

Reaction score
My Location
Sweden
"Secondly, by moving all the BBC's services to the Astra 2D satellite, whose signals are tightly focused, the BBC can limit broadcasting principally to the UK. This removes the need to encrypt for rights purposes"

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
The good news is that any digital receiver should be capable of reception of BBC, providing it is within the footprint of 2D.

The bad news is for all the East and South European's who do not at present receive ITV (which is on 2D) will lose their BBC!!:mad:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What I also found interesting, was that ITV did not comment as to whether they were thinking of following suit.

PS..Good to see you 2old. :D

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
How did I celebrate? I bought a 20 litre bottle of extremely expensive whisky and 500 parots-eat-em-all tablets.

There are some events that you can remember where you were and what you were doing at the time of a momentously horrid event.

Today I had sat down with my usual strong coffee, turned on the computer, logged-on (Homepage: Media Guardian) and then proceeded to ejaculate a large quantity of coffee (from said mouth) all over my keyboard. :mad:

Some might remember my ramblings on 2D when channels started disappearing all that time ago. 2D currently has seven vacant transponders (at a quick count).

However, I do believe that there are som real issues with a BBC bird-hop: notably anything to do with right's and competition issues (esp. concerning Ireland) and as some have mentioned in part already.

Whatever, hopefully, one of two things will happen:-

1. SKY will tell them were to go before any planned discussions on EPG placement and/or the BBC's use of SKY's OpenTV technologies.

Ramble1: I think the BBC have a real cheek to assume that they can use SKY's digibox (not platform) for little to no money. I know what I would say if I was Tony's Balls.

Ramble2: the 'RED DOT' doesn't work on my Nokia MM9800??. Ooh, cue: a letter to the DCMS (along the lines of: BBCi is not universally available anymore! Jessa Towel will love that one :-0)

2. The EU parliament will remind the BBC of all the hard work they put into the 'Television Without Frontiers' Directive and why they now want to back-track.

Blah, blah, then - with any luck - the BBC won't be movin' anywhere.

Least it all happens after the Eurovision Song Contest!

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. Booger! I forgot the ice cubes.)(-red

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I take it that you are not entirely enamoured by this news then Mark ? ;)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
NO

For most of the day work went out of the window whilst I frantically looked for the biggest dish available in Berlin.

125cm or 150cm ? The dish survey is inconclusive for Berlin: argh.

I might just stick to the whisky.

Rolf, I could swear - swear lots. I have been in a foul mood all day and I don't even have any comfort foods at hand!

Tomorrow I was supposed to be travelling off to purchase a 125cm Gibertini dish. Any advise from equally unhappy members gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Balcony does have a weight limit (so don't say 5metres) and will comfortably (forgot the english word!!) - er, handle - a 125cm dish.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
From the look of one of the posts in the Astra 2D thread, a 1.25 should suffice Mark, but i'm sure that someone will come up with the definitive answer.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
LOL.

I'll let you you all know tomorrow :-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
With regard to ITV, channel 4 and channel 5, I wonder whose going to take over the FTV card distribution, or perhaps they will jump the Sky encryption ship earlier than their contracts would normally have allowed?

ProDave

Reaction score
Website
homepages.tesco.net
My Satellite Setup
Non subscription Sky digibox, Alanlogue Astra1, Digital Hotbird, all on 1 fixed dish with 3 LNB's
My Location
Scottish Highlands
My big hope now is that ITV, ch4 and five will follow and also go FTA. That would make a "free to view" card completely redundant.

Then I could boot the digibox without a card in it, and have a nice clean EPG, without all the subscription clutter.

I wonder what the future of FTV cards is. Will they continue if say just ch4 and five remain encrypted?

I also predict the second hand value of Sky Digiboxes will crash. You would be much better off with a true free to view satellite receiver, than a Sky digibox. The Sky digibox would only be of use to subscribers.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
@mljgmljg

I take it the balcony weight restriction is ground weight, in which case supporting the majority of the dish with a strategically placed wall bracket might be the solution

The EPG problem can be overcome by dual broadcasting the data, there should be enough spare capacity on the transponders to allow a secondary stream to allow non digibox users a guide

Then theres always a chance some clever bod at the BBC reintroducing good old teletext onto the system

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Thanks CH for the info. I'll be honest I was joking about the weight restriction. I have a very sturdy wall bracket and have worked out that it will easily 'accomodate' a 125cm dish for 28.2°

Still on Astra 2D and the Beeb - I got thinking.

Thought of in a very simplistic way:-

1. BBC use three transponders (inc one on 2D).
2. ITV use three transponders (all on 2D).
3. BBC need for all regions on DSAT (need more capacity?)
4. Seven vacant transponders on Astra 2D
5. Money saved from SKY = money to spend on what will be more expensive rights buying with enough spare dosh to hire another transponder (on 2D) ;)

Just a thought.

Mark.

P.S. I have to say that watching ARD/ZDF sometimes you can seem to tell the difference between bit rates 27.000 and 22.000. Are there any grounds for this extra thought?

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
@ Maxi 1

when I first posted the link, this was "breaking news" at the BBC under the heading "BBC tears up Sky deal". Since then the original text, which did explicitly state the intention to use Astra 2D, has been replaced by what you see there now (which indeed makes no mention of 2D).

More info here: http://skydigital.mediabullet.co.uk/
including a date (30/May) and "hints" that ITV might follow suit.

2old

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
To back up that information 2old, there is an internal E-mail from the BBC posted on one of the forums, in which it does mention 2D as well. I really can see ITV trying to negotiate some sort of deal for premature dumping of the encryption, it would certainly be in their interest, channels 4 (main channel) and channel 5 also.

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
Why don't the BEEB just pay up and shut up! After 16 years without BBC1 & 2 I have really enjoyed watching tv from back home. Other national broadcasters offer their channels to their citizens overseas. Danish TV broadcasts its 2 channels on another transponder that can be picked up by viewers in Spain (DR1 & 2 Syd (South)). I could live without ITV, but it looks like I will have to go for the a 1.2m dish. That will look great in the garden!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
The fact that I linked to this thread via the front page said enough.

That balloon really pissed me off before it floated off my screen last year: but, I now conclude that that balloon was astra 2D all along.

Boogering bustards - all of 'em )(-red )(-red )(-red )(-red

Regards,

Mark.

leonardwolk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
none
This will be great, the two missing channels I've always wanted, finally I can get them.

Currently I live in western germany, about 60 km from the border of Netherlands. I hope my 1.2m dish will be able to pick them up.