All Ways to Update Matrix Emulated CAS Fail

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi All,
This is my second post in 6 months so not doing too bad.
I have lost virtually all channels using MR1.05 so decided to upgrade to 1.08. I have a Magic Module Proggy card via serial. When I enable my Axas2 CAM for reloading via my Technomate 5500Ci menu it confirms it is erasing the CAM data and is ready for update using dummy card. Using my laptop serial, the module proggy lights go out and the receiver displays "invalid card - unable to upload". I have used UCAS v1.3, Clanzers 3.5 & Dreamload software. None see the programmer card. Also CAS Studio 2 using a DuoLabs CAS interface. Nil points on all.
So installed CAM in laptop PCMCIA slot (Windows XP) - all Toecutters drivers installed (I am a systems engineer and can get by) - card is recognised in PCMCIA slot as Smartcard - but UCAS loader says device not ready. I know I've covered alot of topics here but chances should say one program should work - no?

I have obviously made all the mistakes - so if anyone can help - I can show people where I went wrong. Thanks

petchletch

Reaction score
N.B

At this moment I am rebuilding a Compaq Presario 1200 with Windows 2000.
Will keep you guys updated

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'm a bit confused as to what you have there, is it a converted Magic Module, a converted Axxas, or an original MR?

If anything can do it, it should be the CAS2.

For things to work on the laptop, you need to load the extra drivers in the laptop, but I'm not sure how well they work with XP, if at all.

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi Rolfw

Sorry - I have an Axxas2 CAM with an MR1.055 file currently loaded.

The CAS2 interface using CAS Studio v1.0 does not detect the programmer - comes up with FFFFFFFFFF

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OK, may all hinge on your Presario laptop, I think that it's the same model as I used, 560mhz? If it is, it is better to load 98se, the cam progger softyware seems to like it better.

If you laptop provides sufficient power to the CAM, then it may be better to try using it alont with the CAS2, the Technomate is not renowned for its CAM friendliness.

petchletch

Reaction score
Interesting info rolfw. I'm going to rebuild laptop in 98SE. Win2000 build blue screened eventually after trying different cardbus controller drivers. The PCMCIA did not get detected.

Do you know which driver you used in 98SE? Was it from MR_BY_PCMCIA?

Also the CAS Interface is a CAS+. It needs an external supply apparently which I did not get. I have a variable voltage controller but don't know the correct voltage. Any help?

petchletch

Reaction score
Managed to update CAM to 1.08 using Compaq presario 1200-lx103 using Windows98SE, MR_Update (contains new cbss.vxd copied to system).

Card recognised - used path to dvbcam.sys from from dreammagic.inf.

Switched receiver to FTA. Switched off receiver. Inserted CAM without card. Switched receiver back on - BBC Prime and still scrambled.

What next please?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
OK, you are getting there, but not sure which Prime you are trying to watch, if it's Conax on 1W, then you need a Titanium.

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi

Prime on Hotbird 13deg - It is broadcasted on 2 channels on Hotbird. Neither have been working for over a week.
Also I could only watch Prime with MR1.05, when I had a Funcard 5 (Galaxy3)inserted. Now nothing makes any difference - also all the TPS channels have gone - I used to watch all 8. My wife needs to watch Eastenders on Prime as we are in Spain and I'm not going to buy a 1.9m dish just to watch it FTA. More fun with my motorised system.

N.B I'm going to look for other users who are using PCMCIA laptop upgrades to help them. I noticed in one of your other thread topics that the 16bit CAM's may not work with 32bit slots. 32bit PCMCIA v2.1 should be backward compatible although I'm not convinced - maybe the Operating system needs to be able to work in 16bit mode - Win98SE may be the most compatible to get 16bit cards working? What do you think?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm not sure about the technicalities of the PCMCIA slots, only that people have experienced problems, certainly WinXP is not ideal.

You may perhaps need to update the keys in the MR, there are fileguys like Mach1 who do an uptodate MR file in their file zip.

petchletch

Reaction score
Ok

I thought that MR1.08 had all the latest keys but I'm still new to this - certainly I have looked on a couple of websites - including RDI.com and the keys on the site match whats in the CAM - so is the best site to look at Mach1? - could u give me the URL please?

Thanks for all your help - I'll keep you posted - do I need to upgrade the .bin or .hex files on the funcard 5 as well? The bit I am still unclear about - does the MR CAM do the decoding or the Funcard 5 combined the the MR CAM and should I always need a card inserted into the CAM to descramble?

If you could answer the last remaining questions I am in your debt....

Thanks

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The 1.08 has been around for a while, so some versions will have out of date keys, Mach1 files, along with many other fileguys can be found at Toecutters Den, SatDudez, Dean's Place and a couple other of the forums all listed in Nobbly's big links section under Satellite Forums.

The MR when uptodate, will decode a lot without a card inserted.

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi
Updated Funcard 5 (Galaxy3) with Viaccess .hex files for MR1.081 using MP 3.4-3.5 Utility.
Updated Axas2 (MR Reloaded) with MR1.081 - still no BBC Prime or TPS on Hotbird 13deg.
I've tried using CAM with & without card from FTA 1st.
I'm surprised I can't find many posts about BBC Prime or TPS - is it just my system? Maybe I need to update the Technomate 5500Ci?
Other channels are working fine - some new ones - some old ones gone....

I am a bit stuck now although Rolfw has got me this far with very good help.

petchletch

Reaction score
OK - I've got Prime back - did another channel rescan after upgrading to MR1.081 _ I will keep this post updated about other channels later incase it helps others

ROLFW - Thank you - My life is going to get alot easier now my wife has Eastenders - I'm off down the pub

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, a nice compromise. :D

dante1354

Reaction score
Hi,
when i upgrade MR using toshiba laptop to 1.081 i get some problem by MR cam. Windows XP (by generic pcmcia controler) find it an install but cannot start it andby manual i set an io address and interrupt.but yet can't start it.and when i use standard pcmcia controller driver instead windows can't find it.so i can't install dream magic cam driver
because windows xp does'nt have "smart card reader" in hardware groups.so i can't select any model of this group.even when i install the loader and it addes a smart reader class to windows registry.
thanx

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi Dante1354

What is the exact model of your Tosh laptop & how old is it - Since the laptop actually does see the PCMCIA card when you insert it your half way there - I would install a dual operating system - Win98SE on 1 partition & XP on another - make sure you keep the virgin win98SE install free of other utilities and programs - just use it for the CAM loader prog - then program your card using Win98SE.
Cheers

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi Again
Well i'm still a happy bunny but.. I'm still not getting any TPS channels using MR1.081 and fun5 mr1.081. Any more help please - I've rechecked the latest keys on the web and they match the cam keys - How are softcam.hex files used to update stuff please and would these help?

Thanx

dante1354

Reaction score
Hi petchletch
I use a toshiba laptop p10-304 satellite series.also test with compaq presario .i read somewhere that pcmcia in toshiba laptop is 32 bit and in presario 16 bit.is it right?
may it cause any difference?and may i hope that presario can help me.i created a fat32 on my toshiba laptop and installed win98se on it.but in win98se i can't replace win98se driver by the one that downloaded from here.is something wrong?
thanx

petchletch

Reaction score
Hi Dante1354
You need mr_by_pcmcia.zip
Look at the driver files for the Win98SE virgin install PCMCIA driver - if you have a cbss.vxd then you need to replace the file in windows/system with a new one and reboot. If you do not have it there then you will be using pccard.vxd - no need to replace it. Just insert the card and when asked for drivers point it to dreammagic.inf which will then load dvbcam.sys. I take it you have the necessary files - if not I can email them to you. I did find that the instructions told me to copy dvbcam.sys to windows/system32 manually but this procedure failed to identify the CAM correctly so don't bother. Cheers. (Quoted Curtesy of Mascom GmbH install text file).

The Tosh may not have a backward compatible to 16bit PCMCIA interface but since it initially saw some sort of card when you inserted it it should be. Also depends how good Toshibas firmware is is guess.

B.T.W I still can't get TPS on Hotbird but now I get Multiv*sion using 1.081??