(alternative to 2D?)

Talc

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I got this news clipping from an English version of a Polish magazine called 'Satkurier'

'Two channels from BFBF package have broadcast in clear on 11th of November. BFBS package is especialy intended to British Army base in Europe. Package broadcast is usualy encrypted in CryptoWorks and is available from Eutelsat W3 - 7E satellite. The BBC News 24 on BFBS6 and ITV on BFBS5 became clear.

ITV (BFBS 5 Television) and BBC News 24 (BFBS 6 Television) broadcast from transponder C6 on frequency 11,324V; SR=27500; FEC=1/2. Some radio channels intended to particular British Army bases have been also available in clear: Gibraltar, North Ireland, Cyprus, Bosnia, BFBS Radio 2 etc. There is 15 radio channels available in the package (not all of them broadcast) include two mono channels. '

Points are

1. Army obviously gets something that we civies dont
2. Any way of (legally) getting the necessary card?
3. Footprint covers whole of Europe and probably beyond
4. I imagine that the British embasies will be getting this now they cant get beeb.
5. I wouldn't be suppriesed if the beeb starts broadcasting. So much for saving money

your comments?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BFBS was clear for a few days while the uplink was upgraded but its now gone back to scrambled

No way (except the radio channels) unlessyou have the card and receiver

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Originally posted by Channel Hopper
No way (except the radio channels) unless you have the card and receiver

That is not exactly correct.
AFAIK,BFBS (CYPRUS) is transmitting using cryptoworks but this signal is recieved by their earth station then re transmitted using UHF + some analog encryption.This signal is then unscrambled using a special settop box issued ONLY to military personnel.
NO card is used.

iceman

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Apologies

Talc, if you are in Cyprus (or near with a HUGE aerial array ), can poach a box from your nearest military site - maybe a win at cards - and ensure its authorised - you will be able to receive BBC News 24 (zzzzz) and ITV.

Personally I would stick with the satellite option and attempt putting up the largest dish you can afford. In the next few days there will be reports from all round Europe on the reception, and unless they play around with the beams again, these will provide you with the signal strengths for your area.

With the move by the BBC to FTA in this way I would not be a bit surprised if the army base in Cyrpus ditches the UHF system in the near future, and relies on a large dish.