Alternative to Dish

inet-projects

Reaction score
My Location
Zwiesel, Bavarian Forest, Germany.
Hi,

I have a Samsung 9500 and 90 cm Dish on a Motor, I have a balcony in the way of getting Astra 2D, but the Signal is showing but very weak, is there an alternative or some way of picking up this 2D Signal.

Special Type of LNB, Dish or ????????

Thanks

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Welcome to the board!

inet-projects said:
I have a balcony in the way of getting Astra 2D

If it is someone else's balcony that is getting in the way - have you considered (sic) locating the dish somewhere else? If its your balcony, have you considered mounting the dish on the street side of the balcony, on the wall to the entrance to the balcony, etc. :) .

.. the Signal is showing but very weak, is there an alternative or some way of picking up this 2D Signal.

Short of a bigger dish to make up for the signal loss/obstruction or a better grade LNB or both - I, for one, can't think of anything special. Watch out for other replies.

Don't really help, but if you supply a little more detailed info (like your location, what floor you live on, how close is the obstruction, what else have you tried, et al) - folks here will come up with some solution I am sure. ;)

Have Fun,

Mark.

inet-projects

Reaction score
My Location
Zwiesel, Bavarian Forest, Germany.
Hi ALL

Additional Information and Photo Attached

Location Germany Munich

Because of the Rules of the House I am only allowed to put my Dish on this particular point or not have it all. I can get 26 degrees no bother.

I am on the 3rd Floor.

I was told by a local Sat Expert that a Larger dish would not make and difference ?

Any good Ideas.

mljgmljg said:
Welcome to the board!

If it is someone else's balcony that is getting in the way - have you considered (sic) locating the dish somewhere else? If its your balcony, have you considered mounting the dish on the street side of the balcony, on the wall to the entrance to the balcony, etc. :) .

Short of a bigger dish to make up for the signal loss/obstruction or a better grade LNB or both - I, for one, can't think of anything special. Watch out for other replies.

Don't really help, but if you supply a little more detailed info (like your location, what floor you live on, how close is the obstruction, what else have you tried, et al) - folks here will come up with some solution I am sure. ;)

Have Fun,

Mark.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm afraid that there is no magic wand to fix the problem of having no line of sight to the desired satellite location.

Get a line of sight by moving the dish, or give up! :(

If you can achieve that, then you can check www.astra2d.co.uk for more information on how big your dish would need to be to get stable reception.

Can't you find someone else in an adjacent flat that would allow you mount a dish if you bunged them some dosh?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
"If the world won't adapt to you, then you must needs bend a little to fit present circumstances." CSI's interpretation was a little less Joda-like. "If the world won't adapt to you - you have to adapt to the world."

Now, I am not going to suggest that this gets into a fight; but my answer to this problem would be such:

Gain access to the roof. Have either an installer or yourself install a dish on the roof (use a non-penetrating roof mount if need be). Take a picture of said installation. (Optional) Go the hausverwaltung/landlord and explain that your old installation was in breach of the law that allows foreigner's to have access to their native tongue (loosely translated: foreigner's can have sat dishes: basta).

Or,

Price-up an installion, send precise details to the hausverwaltung/landlord - together with reminder of the law and how they are in breach of it and then hope for the best.

Anecdote: Before I moved into my new place I made it quite clear that I wanted to install my dish. In reply to my request, the hausverwaltung said "Ja" - er, with conditions. 1. The dish must be installed by 'their' sat installer and 2. The cable must be the same colour as the house (the house is a sandy yellow). Whatever. I installed the dish on the roof nearly a year ago and the cable is white. I haven't heard a sausage from them and they have all seen the cable very loosely plunging down from the roof to the first floor!

Keep us informed with any developments ;) BTW, it would be great to take a look at the picture you took - try and get it online.

Have Fun,

Mark.

andmac

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2, nokia9902, xcam, matrix, tpfld 3000cipp
inet-projects said:
Hi,

I have a Samsung 9500 and 90 cm Dish on a Motor, I have a balcony in the way of getting Astra 2D, but the Signal is showing but very weak, is there an alternative or some way of picking up this 2D Signal.

Thanks

Hi.
My friend i think that most likely you need a bigger dish.
in my part of the world we need 3.4m plus for british national channels.
I know that in northern scotland 60cm is not big enough.
If you get signal from astra2d and you have prime focus dish then i would suggest a 0.3 invacom lnb.(try horizontal tp,s a lot stronger than v.)

misterminibus

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Kodi
My Location
Lancashire
your only suppose to blow the bloody doors off springs to mind... is it possible to mount a mirror on the external wall in front of the dish at the required angle, I bet this breaks no planning rules...