AM radio station list

The final 5 BBC local radio services on MW will close at the end of November

756kHz Cumbria
837kHz Cumbria
1116kHz Derby
1413kHz Gloucestershire
873kHz Norfolk
1566kHz Somerset


(Cumbria - 756 is used in the northern part of the area, 837 in the southern half. 837 was originally an opt out branded as Radio Furness)
 
MW in the USA allow you to pick up Mexico or Canada when you get tired of Yank stuff....or maybe Cuba?
I m sure Mexico & Canada have MW ,due to size of country+mountains...
 
I checked...yes plenty in Mexico and Cuba. Canada a few.Still,10 in Montréal only...

And the Caribbean. Night time radio propagation has been essential in the Caribbean music melting pot. Most places speak Spanish,plus English(jamaica) French (Martinique). If you only keep FM you lose that. Kingston would hear Cuba,Paramaribo and Fort de france... hence the mix!

And as a kid I enjoyed the same in Strasbourg (N-E France near Germany) . Got me English,Spanish ,Italian just using the dial.
Of course now we have Internet.... but it was different to pick up Belgrade or Spain at night when driving.... by chance.Rather Than taking care of googling Radio Malaga or Rabat...when driving at night. Sure very few people do it,although it s ....there!!

Here in south france Spain's MW have gone I feel stuck within France ..dab+ does not bring anything from beyond 50 kms...too bad.
 
Last edited:
Here in south france Spain's MW have gone I feel stuck within France ..dab+ does not bring anything from beyond 50 kms...too bad.
There are moderate gain directional DAB antennas available for not much money at all.


But if you are really wanting long range reception then you can use one of the online calculators to build a multi element/yagi or log periodic antenna. From memory the rough length of the dipole is just under 13 inches (318mm)
 
That would be fun indeed. How far xcan I expect to be able to obtain a dab+ signal? Do I need "clear" view of transmitter? Big mountains are between me & Spain. Would a large Dab+ antenna receive behind-mountain signals?
 
Band III can be received over the horizon, but not by much. Perhaps up to 50% , on a very good day depending on the diffraction coefficient of the atmosphere and transmitter / receiver and altitudes.
 
Every high-gain VHF3-band TV-antenna can receive DAB-signals as well.
 
Back
Top