Amplifier or ...

bbjacobsen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channelmaster 1,8m offset + motor. See from 30W to 30E
My Location
Spain
In the old analog days you could use an amplifier to increace the signal strenght. Nowadays you have to think of signal strenght and data strenght. Does anybody know of some hardware that can amplify both / simulate a bigger dish ? We have restriction on sat dish sizes here in Spain.

BB

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No, unfortunately, a combination of dish size/quality and LNB quality is key to good reception, you cannot amplify what you do not have.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
bbjacobsen said:
In the old analog days you could use an amplifier to increace the signal strenght. Nowadays you have to think of signal strenght and data strenght. Does anybody know of some hardware that can amplify both / simulate a bigger dish ? We have restriction on sat dish sizes here in Spain.

BB

I take it that you have the channel master matched feedhorn, and one of the better performing C120 LNBs? , rather than just a 'fits all' LNBF.

Amplifiers are generally used to compensate for cable/other losses and will amplify both signal and noise. A larger dish on the other hand, increases the signal to noise ratio.

Robbo:)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Nothing can simulate a bigger dish apart from a bigger dish!!!!!
I notice you do not state what it is you are wanting to improve the signal quality on, or is it Sky tv? Just for reference what are the restrictions on dish size imposed in Spain?

bbjacobsen

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channelmaster 1,8m offset + motor. See from 30W to 30E
My Location
Spain
Thankx guys, unfortantly as expected ....

Using Channelmaster horn etc. Works perfectly. Have tried with other LNB's but always going back to the original horn/lnb.

Restrictions depends on each town hall. Generally we can install up to 1,8M without big problems. 1,8M is ok for UK SKY but not for BBC and ITV (Canary Islands) Here we need at least 2,5M - better 3M.

On apartment bloks the Spanish law only allows one sat dish (but all the normal ariels you like ...). This creates problems when you would like to receive 30W (Spanish C+), 19,6E and 28.2E. Not possible with even a BIG multi horn and gigant dish. Motor would be the solution if all could agree on which sat to receive .....:-Nooo

BB