Amplifier

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
I have sat dish which runs on a fairly long cable.... (two floors up and on the roof of next doors block of flats).
I have read good reviews of the Konig Amplifier (yellow brick) but am still not sure what the proper use is.

I have a few channels which are at 68 -69 SNR rate, would a Konig amplifier potentially improve the % to the 71-72% needed or am I totally misunderstanding its Use

Many thanks

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
In line amps are designed to compensate for the signal loss in very long cable runs,but they tend to amplify noise as well..(personally i never use them)
They do not achieve a higher signal level than what is present at the LNB output.
These signals which you say are 68 -69 SNR rate..are you taking these measurements by the dish or after the long cable run?
If the signal coming out from the LNB is higher than these figures,you might improve them a little by upgrading the cable with a good quality coax.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Do you have an estimate of how long the cable is?

What cable are you using at the moment?

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
Thanks
No the rates are straight from the Box not the LNB.
To be honest it is a bit difficult for me to check the the signal strength at the LNB as i do not know how to do it. Also the satellite installer I used is quite useless and rude apart from moaning a lot is usual response seems to be watch another channel or satellite.

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
As i say I am on the 4th floor out of 6 and the sat is on the roof of next door ( same level as my block) so I would imagine at least 12-15 m cable - the type of cable I am not sure ( i am novice ) but wouldn't imagine the best quality.

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
I should point out that I am not expecting miracles but the only reason I am asking is because I have moved flat a few months ago and in my previous location I had managed to get these channels (like Virgin) at 72% but only after much fiddling with the LNB

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
dm066 said:
12-15 m cable
I cant imagine there would be much loss on a short run like that. I cant see an amplifier helping much.
(Maybe someone else knows otherwise?)

Dish size/alignment may be more the issue here. How does the current dish compare to the previous one, size wise?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
12 to 15m is not a problem unless the cable is unsuitable for satellite use. An amplifier is not needed for such a short length. Can you describe or post a picture of the cable showing the conductors.

dm066

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 1.1 Dish
My Location
MALTA
Thanks For the replies.

So you know, the dish alignment is supposedly at its best. It is the same dish and Lnb I have just taken them with me as I have only moved a few streets away.

On a side note in the previous flat I used to use a positioner as my motor wouldnt always move with the dream box.
However when I moved everything I found that with the positioner is I was losing a huge amount of signal on Horizontal (i think) channels such as E4