Amstrad DRX200

sekino

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad BOX
My Location
LONDON
My digibox stays in stand by mode, despite pressing either the remote control or the panel on the box. I've tried switching the power off for several minutes and then switching back on but it still stays in stand by. Any suggestions?? Can I upload firmware to amstrad through RS 232?

xicotorneiras

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
neotion
My Location
porto
pclink2.5
yes the cable rs232

sekino

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad BOX
My Location
LONDON
xicotorneiras said:
pclink2.5
yes the cable rs232
thank you, how does it work?
i pluged it Amstrad and clicked on Read Version and it displays Connecting to IRD software...
what should I do???
where can I find firmware?
please help
:-Guill

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unless xicotorneiras knows something most other people don't (and please tell us if you do) the only way you can upgrade the firmware on a Sky box is to do a forced software download.

Switch power off at mains, take the card out, hold in the backup button on the unit (not the remote), switch mains power back on, keep holding in the backup button until all the lights come on. You will also get a message onscreen. It takes about 10 mins.

The box also needs to be connected to a dish with a good 28.2E signal.

sekino

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad BOX
My Location
LONDON
PoloMint said:
Unless xicotorneiras knows something most other people don't (and please tell us if you do) the only way you can upgrade the firmware on a Sky box is to do a forced software download.

Switch power off at mains, take the card out, hold in the backup button on the unit (not the remote), switch mains power back on, keep holding in the backup button until all the lights come on. You will also get a message onscreen. It takes about 10 mins.

The box also needs to be connected to a dish with a good 28.2E signal.

i can't do forced upgrade, i've tried but it don't react. I think it's dead :-Guill .
Is there any hope that it will work?
it's always in stand by and can't turn on :(
i'm desperate :(

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Stuck in standby, perhaps a PSU fault?

Maybe someone who knows that model better will be able to offer more advice.

But it is quite an old model, perhaps it is time for a new one :) If you subscribe to Sky, you could ring them and say you are going to cancel because your box is dead and you can't afford a new one, you might be lucky and get a free repair off them.

sekino

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad BOX
My Location
LONDON
PoloMint said:
Stuck in standby, perhaps a PSU fault?

Maybe someone who knows that model better will be able to offer more advice.

But it is quite an old model, perhaps it is time for a new one :) If you subscribe to Sky, you could ring them and say you are going to cancel because your box is dead and you can't afford a new one, you might be lucky and get a free repair off them.

so I can throw it to trash? Isn't it just software error???

methos_de

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace Ver.3 SKY+ box
1,20m Dish
Quad Invacom 0, 3db LNB

P4 3,4 ghz
1024mb RAM
Geforce 256mb 6800 Ultra
My Location
Sunny old Bristol
;) just give sky a ring and say you wanna cancel. I got a new sky+ box of them so I dont think they'll mind giving you a normal box.
Always worth trying for the sake of a phone call to their nice cheap call line O-Ha

Methos

skyeliner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ and Sky throughout house. Computer system AMD 3200.WinXP 250Gig h/d
My Location
Isle of Skye Scotland
hi,
You could visit an excellent site _http://www.satcure.co.uk where a certain Michael Dranfield does repairs to Amstrads for about £50 and the owner of the site has published specific pages on Amstrad faults. Worth a visit before junking your DRX200 if only so that you can use it as a second box in one of the bedrooms. They also have e-books for sale/download which appear to be very helpful as well as a site for spare parts if you are electronically minded.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I wouldn't bother with a repair, they are very slow compared to the newer boxes and it's worth taking the opportunity to upgrade. :)