another DM800 newbie needing help

rickiruddock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800
My Location
Malta
hey folks,

i've been a reader of this forum for a couple of months now, infact it was thanks to the postings on here that helped me decide to the DM800.

i'm delighted with my box so far apart from the Media Player.

i have 2 x 1TB external drives with movies, tv shows, and music that i'd like to be able to view via my dreambox...... not as easy as i thought :-(

when i plug my drive's into the USB slots at the back of my DM800 (upper and lowers US:cool: i can view everything that's on them and even create playlists.

the moment i press, "play" (ie my green button) my screen goes black then two turning cogs appear on the top left hand of the screen as if it's trying to do something. No matter how long i wait nothing happens, forcing me to switch of at the mains the turn it back on.

i've no doubt this problem is down to my lack of knowledge or ability or being able to understand many of the posts already on this forum.

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance, ricki :-)

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
You will need to provide some more information, like exactly what file types you are trying to play, for example. You may not have the codecs installed to play them. Or even post one of the files here so we can have a look at why it is not playing.
For yourself: Have you tried copying a file to the local (non-usb) drive and see if it plays then?

rickiruddock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800
My Location
Malta
thanks for the prompt response, i'm trying to play:

- .avi
- .mpeg
- .wav

when i boot up my screen say's i'm using Nabilo HD then changes to Blackhole v0.11.

i seem to have a VLC plugin installed which i thought would mean i could watch anything from the external hard disk via the media player. i know VLC is compatible with these file extensions as i use this player on my pc.

i've watched all these files via my PC, does that count as a non USB drive?

as you can probably tell i'm a complete novice at this :-(

i tried contact my local engineer(s) but none of them can help me, mainly due to the language barrier here.

again, thanks in advance, any help, hints or tips would be great.