Another Noob question... My system this time!

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Capestang, Herault, South of France
Hello again all (and so soon!)
When I came to France I brought a flatscreen with a built in decoder for freesat/TNT. When it picks up the channels, it says it's looking at 28.2 but I have only got 300 odd german channels...

I've looked in the setup of the decoder and can't see anything to differentiate the UK channel. Any ideas? Is it as simple as having to find a different satellite on the same lattitude?
Cheers
Miles

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you are getting loads of German Channels, then your dish is aligned to Astra 1 at 19.2E.

You cannot get Channels from 28.2E unless your dish is aligned to 28.2E.

Please provide further information about your Dish, LNB(s) and any Motorisation or multi-LNB brackets.

The Receiver does not know where your dish is pointing, so if you scan "28E" while aligned to 19.2E, you'll get results - but they'll be Channels from 19.2E with similar frequencies and other parameters to those also in use on 28.2E (and elsewhere).

Re-use of frequencies and other parameters is possible precisely because you can only get Channels from the specific position your dish is aligned to.

A stored "Satellite" is just a data table with a label: You can call it what you want. But it won't overcome the need to point a dish at the desired Satellite.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Furthermore, as regards terminology, I'm not aware of a Recevier that does Freesat and TNT per se.

I assume you mean FTA and TNT?

Freesat is a Platform (7 day EPG, MHEG applications etc) on 28E and as such is a tidy means of presenting FTA Channels, in the same way that Sky is.

TNT is a Platform, but based on 19.2E.

So if what you have is actually a TNT Platform Receiver with additional multi-satellite FTA features, you need external equipment to get any more use from it other than actually getting TNT and other Channels from 19.2E.

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
You are indeed a bon oeuf. I shall not commenton your ronde-ness.

That explains someting to me at least. I tested out the built in decoder in the UK, so I assume it still thinks it's in the UK, pointed at 28.2. I'll realign and report back. ;)
Many thanks,
Miles

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Hi,

I'm assuming you bought the flatscreen in France? In which case it won't be Freesat but Fransat/TNT. Fransat is transmitted from 5°W but it sounds like your dish is aligned to Astra 19.2°E. Not sure where you go from here, but you can start by trying to align your dish to 28.2°E. However, you may find the integrated Fransat receiver only has the transponders for the channels from 5°W and you'll have to find out if you can add transponders for Astra 28.2.

Good Luck!!

Damn!!, beaten to it while chatting to Bob the builder

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
sonnetpete said:
Damn!!, beaten to it while chatting to Bob the builder

I think we are missing your formerly quite frequent updates on the renovations - what news?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Singlespeed said:
You are indeed a bon oeuf. I shall not commenton your ronde-ness.

Yes, I suppose I ought to be a little more serious and change my "Title" to something vaguely sensible.

'twas originally a little bit of fun from Navy days and the concept has stuck even into middle age!

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
sonnetpete said:
Hi,

I'm assuming you bought the flatscreen in France?

No in the UK, which may also be why it's confused about my postcode...

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Singlespeed said:
When I came to France I brought a flatscreen with a built in decoder for freesat/TNT.

Sorry, but you can see why I may have been confused :confused I guess you can get round the post code issue by entering a UK one relating to the area where you reside/resided. Needless to say, a 'code postale' won't do the trick.

@Tivù, Sorry, I didn't realise my renovations were so popular :-rofl2 Perhaps I'll update with photos on the Meeting Place section.

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Indeed I can... 'Brought' against 'bought', 'their' against 'there', apostrophe's where there shouldn't be none, double negatives as well as double entendres... Originally from South of Bristol (or North Somerset), a veritable hive of grammatical evolution.

Why do I suddenly feel like I've watched too much QI?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Great response! :-rofl2

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Not to worry:D Having looked up your location on Google Earth, I would venture to say you have picked a beautiful spot.......and more than a tad warmer than where I am :):)

Singlespeed

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Orange!
My Location
Aye there are many worse places to be and only a few better I reckon. A lot colder here than the UK I think this week, but clear and sunny. Where's me corkscrew?
Miles :)