Another phone scam

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
And it is probably not only restricted to BT users either

The scammers call up their victim and warn them that their account is in arrears.
They then ask for card or bank details in order to settle the account.
If the person refuses or asks for proof, the fraudsters then offer to prove who they are by disconnecting the phone line then and there.

Once the victim puts the phone down, the scammer stays connected to their line, thus giving the impression that the customer's line no longer works.

_http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8263637.stm

Keep them peeled.....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Yes, it's another iniquitous attempt to prey on the vulnerable and the gullible. Shocking 'O'

hoggy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500ci+motorised
My Location
london
But surely this will cost the scammer money and all the customer has to do is leave it disconnected for a few hours and the scammer will get p*&*&d off.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Only if you are wise to it. Scammers often target the elderly/insecure as a priority, those that would be vulnerable without a phone connection.

Sadly they are also the ones that will have their phone number in an easily available directory. Armed with that (and maybe the electorial register) the scammer can move through thousands of potentially profitable people a day.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
here happens the same with the diffrent phone companys,one time, a (fake)lottery company called my,to want my bankdetails,to playing lotto,but i rejekted everthing,and hang up,in the newspaper i read then,that the same happens,that in the bbc story..

what i dont understand,how can someone take money away from my bankacount,without my signature,thats a very bad system failure what all the banks have,normaly this should not posible,without letter of referral!
the same on the visa card,the can charge you the money away for sure,when you give them all the data,but to become,a autoreized visa dealer,like a company,you also comply a lot of things!
,that you get a certifyeied by visa sign!

thoose kinds of criminals,using mostly fake bank acounts,that the have made with stolen pasboards,on another name,of a person that real exits!

to exoloid the vulnerability,in the creditcard system,here the law says,t!

this i translate now with google,coz i dont know all the gramatic words,that i try to explain!

-

the visa must show ever, and not the customer that the credit card debit, has been done without the customers confirmation!
Visa itself, so is the burden of proof against the customer!
3 years before it was reversed because the customer samples, compared with Visa, debit prove until the law was changed!
I know not whether there are in each country, large differences in this law, for us it is now so common !
on non autoreized transaction on creditcards,the company must allowed you to use the visa charge back system!

for me it looks,that the licence requeierments,to be a visa partner,with certifeied by visa sign,must have a very low security standart,otherwise,this,what we talk about here,could never be happen...