Any Good ?

Photoman

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie and have one or two questions that I hope you can answer.

I would like to get as much Free or moderately priced Films, Adult, English soccer, and some of the Sky stuff, eg. Discovery etc.

I am about to purchase a motorised system as I believe that there are more sats for choice.

My first question is about the system:
I am leaning toward an Echostar AD3600IP full system which comes with;

Receiver + 80x90 Eliptical dish + 0.6dB Universal LNB + Viaccess + 2 Cam Slots +H-H Motor Head + Wall Mount Kit ... Price £599. Is this a good system/price?
What else is a "must buy?"

Secondly, I live in Plymouth and my dish will be mounted on the back of my house, almost due South with no obstructions. Will I be able to get the full amount of available sats up there, and once again what "extras" do I need to get?

Great forum, look forward to your replies.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Welcome to the forum Photoman, sounds like a nice setup, possibly not the best in everyones eyes, but certainly an effective one one.

I used to be a lover of Echostar receivers, but of late have found that many others are at least as effective and more advanced technologically.

Depending on your capabilities with a computer and ability to learn, there are many other potential combinations which would give you a lot more.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not a bad receiver at all as it has four wire motor technology, but please look at getting a 'big ' dish . It really does pay dividends in the long run.

Another must buy is probably a chainsaw for removing those obstacles that get in the way of full arc reception . Failing that use petrol.

Photoman

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply CH and rolfw.

That system is one of a couple that I have been looking at, another one was a Technomate 5500 DAPCI. I am a genuine satellite noob, although I can get around a PC without too much bother.

I know the forums are full of good techie answers, but does anybody have a good link, "an idiots guide" to how to get started, what to look for, what to avoid, where to buy in the UK etc.

When I get the time, I promise I will do a search in the forum, but in the meantime ... I would like to get something up and running very soon.

Cheers

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Nothing on where to buy, its really how easy you feel when speaking with someone.

Do find a local company though, so theres at least a door to knock on if anything is amiss

Do you think you know where its to go on the property ? A compass might be the next thing to look at, unless your neighbours have dishes to show where the main signals are coming from

Photoman

Reaction score
CH, the dish will go on the back of the house, just above the sky dish.

The rear of the house faces almost due south with no obstructions East/West.

I will get a compass and any other bits of kit just as soon as I sort out the system. Geeeze ... complicated this sat stuff.

I will buy from the UK, if they don't try to rip me off, otherwise I may buy online from one or more of the recommended dealers that have been mentioned on this site.

If money was no object, what would be your ideal one dish setup?