Any one after a cheap 32 inch HD lcd tv check this out

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Cheers for the pics and the links. I'm sure a real HD divx player is in the works somewhere. I don't think I'd be able to interest her in an Xbox 360! But that philips would be a good stop-gap if she wants the best possible SD DVD pictures.

She's got a Sony VAIO notepad (don't know the model number) but as it's so tiny and as it's probably 2-3 years old now, it probably hasn't got the power or the ports to do streaming. I'd have to find out if it can be hooked up to the TV (I know regular PCs can be) as that would be pretty sweet for browsing and YouTube!

Second thoughts, YouTube would look atrocious on a 32" HDTV! ;)

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Nightmare! Got the TV alright and the one on display looked good (it was switched off though!) - have to wait until tomorrow to check it out but...

My sister has gone and ordered NTL... but she agreed to the analogue service! That's gonna look great on this bleeding TV! :) (I'm in quick reply mode so can't choose a more appropriate smilie!)

I can't believe she didn't consult me first and I can't believe she agreed to pay what she is apparently gonna pay. Do they even provide broadband in analogue only areas? I didn't even know there were analogue only areas - I certainly wouldn't expect them in a city centre! (here's where the puzzled smilie would go!)

The whole reasoning was that it made sense to get phone/broadband/basic TV bundled and the NTL £30 for 3 was the best fit for her needs. If I've got it right she's going to be paying £35 for basic analogue cable and a phoneline (is she/are they insane!!!?!)

I'd have to get her to cancel it tomorrow and get Sky (I can't believe I'd ever say those words!) ;)

R

Rd100

Yes some NTL area's E.G a lot of parts of london sill use analouge UHF/VHF only as the networks is so bad it can not even handle SD digitalO-no and has no telephone or no broadband,

She could still cancel it as she has not had it installed yet if she wanted to, :)

Skip Channel said:
Nightmare! Got the TV alright and the one on display looked good (it was switched off though!) - have to wait until tomorrow to check it out but...

My sister has gone and ordered NTL... but she agreed to the analogue service! That's gonna look great on this bleeding TV! :) (I'm in quick reply mode so can't choose a more appropriate smilie!)

I can't believe she didn't consult me first and I can't believe she agreed to pay what she is apparently gonna pay. Do they even provide broadband in analogue only areas? I didn't even know there were analogue only areas - I certainly wouldn't expect them in a city centre! (here's where the puzzled smilie would go!)

The whole reasoning was that it made sense to get phone/broadband/basic TV bundled and the NTL £30 for 3 was the best fit for her needs. If I've got it right she's going to be paying £35 for basic analogue cable and a phoneline (is she/are they insane!!!?!)

I'd have to get her to cancel it tomorrow and get Sky (I can't believe I'd ever say those words!) ;)

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Lewisham is still not digital yet :| the signal hasnt been switched off in ex c&w areas yet.

im looking for a new tv but won't be buying that tv.. yes its cheap but ive put up with crap quality for 2 years now.. and 1000+ looks more sensable :)

R

Rd100

Well i went to argos this morning it told them i was very pissed off that i paid £449 for the tv then les that 12 hours later they are selling it for £379 so then they gave me £70 back

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Just got back from my sister's new place. TV looks okay, I'm not 100% impressed by it but that's probably due to the sources feeding it and that I still think CRTs are unbeatable! It does look nice up on the wall though and she's happy with it.

The guy who used to live there went to a lot of trouble hiding/routing AV cables around the house and the TV room in particular but some things are just bizarre. He had what had to have been at least a 42" plasma/LCD and yet he had analogue cable - not Sky or even Freeview. He used a ropey bit of coax from the CATV socket to the TV (Argos don't even sell anything this bad) yet used really expensive phono and speaker cables!

No sign of an aerial socket/cable in the TV room or the front lounge - only in the main bedroom! No CATV socket in the front lounge either - or a phone connection. But CATV connections (including phone) upstairs in the two smaller bedrooms. Two aerials on the roof and at least a few cables cut and hanging down outside (they look like coax but they have loads of different coloured wires inside!)

Oh, and no BT socket!

She's still going for cable even though I explained the situation. The thing is, she really doesn't have much choice. Like I said, there's no sign of BT - plus she's not prepared to drill holes/rip up skirting/repaint to get either Freeview, Sky and/or BT. Thing is, these would've been things I'd have asked about if I was thinking of buying a place! ;)

I dunno, sisters!

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Nobodies mentioned it - so I will.;)

If you are desperate to get an HD flat-panel (whilst there is precious little content on offer) - seriously consider a full spec 1920x1080 resolution display - and, if you require one, confirm that the integrated digital tuner is also HD ready (sic).

Pretty much any other panel resolution is not strictly HD* and/or future-proof - regardless of its price.

*Disclaimer: IMHO;)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
That really does look like a flat-panel: like paper thin flat, LOL.

Not a bad price - but still only 768px ;-((

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
So here I am watching a nice movie in 1080p - when, suddenly, Samsung come up with ........... :-Nooo
View attachment 9470

I am lost for words. Save for, utter BS.:-worship

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
And it's out of stock anyway! I'd heard good reviews about it on various shopping forums whilst I was looking for sis's TV. Didn't bother as it's been OoS for the last fortnight (if not longer) - may be in-store though.

popeyetel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci
My Location
Cheshire UK
This tv could be just be what im looking Thanx for the info. Can anybody lead me in the right direction for an installer in Cheshire for my newly bought Satellite System mainly for HOTBIRD 13E [PREM FOOTBALL] . I NEED MY SYSTEM INSTALLED Please
smile.gif
Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You could of course post your request in the section specially set up for members wanting installers. ;)

popeyetel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 ci
My Location
Cheshire UK
Thanks Rolf i am new to this forum i didnt realise satellite installers was so short