My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Hello all,

Many thanks for the help and advice given to me over the last few days, but my woes with Meo and Hispasat continue. I eventually purchased a new 65cm dish from Maplin and a twin output Fortec Star LNB (I will eventually add an extra box). Everythng is set up and ready and I am confident in my ability to wire stuff up.

However, I cannot get the box to register a signal whatever I try. I have used Dishpointer to find my angle, I have also set the LNB skew and dish elevation.

What could be the problem?

Any suggestions are most welcome.:-doh2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the Fortecstar LNB suffers from the same problem as its single output brother, then you may have to set the skew to at least 3 O'clock as you look at the dish from behind the LNB.

Dishpointer is good to use as a guide, but you still need to fine tune with the receiver level guages or a meter.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks so much for replying.

Dishpointer recommends elevation of 25.9 which I've set. Also a skew of 19.8 cw. I had to install the new dish high on the wall as my old one was at gound level. Is Hispasat a bugger o find? I have a meter somewhere in my loft but can't find it. I want to avoid more expense if I can.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hispasat is not difficult to find, just pick a good transponder, set the receiver to it, then slowly swing the dish round until you get it, Approx 30º west of south.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
)(-redThis is driving me mad!!!

I've now gone to plan B and have connected my old SL65 and I can't even pick up Astra or Hotbird anymore. I need either a miracle or a piece of true inspiration. When I bought the LNB from Maplin it was boxed but not wrapped and with no instructions. Is this normal or could it be faulty?

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
...with a twin monoblock does it matter which output I plug the wire into?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
mrtomato said:
)(-redThis is driving me mad!!!

I've now gone to plan B and have connected my old SL65 and I can't even pick up Astra or Hotbird anymore. I need either a miracle or a piece of true inspiration. When I bought the LNB from Maplin it was boxed but not wrapped and with no instructions. Is this normal or could it be faulty?

What is the model number?, Did you skew it as rolf suggested?

I would never buy an LNB from Maplin, because they are too expensive, you can get them for about a tenner or less online.

Try one of the Forum sponsors, at least one has an LNB for £7.95 delivered.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
I have skewed according to dishpointer. That's 19.8. When Rolf said 3 o'clock does that mean that the input end should be at 9o'clock? Surely, if the dish is properly elevated I'd at least get some bloody signal. Instead I simply cannot explain why the thing won't work. The dish is 65cm it has a clear line of sight, it is 2.5 m off the ground - I simply don't get it. :-doh2

(I really appreciate the help by the way!):)

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
model number is - FSKU2VN Universal Twi LNB Fortec Star

I bought a brand because I thought it would be better!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Mmm, very similar model number to the one in this thread

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...stems/128721-problem-skew-fortecstar-lnb.html

The picture shows the Skew for the Fortec LNB for 28E, yours will be far more anticlockwise (looking at dish face) for 30W.

If the skew is completely wrong, you get bu99er all signal.

With a twin LNB, it does not matter which output you use. With a monoblock, you obviously have to select the correct diseqc port.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Cheers, Robbo! I'll go and skew the LNB as Rolf suggested - he said 9o'clock so I'll give it a go. I will try to take some pictures too.

I'll be back!

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
O-noStill no luck. I have either made onumental cock-up somewhere along the way or my LNB must be faulty. I was suspicious when the only thing in the box was the LNB - no wrapping, leaflet, nothing.
I've attached some photos -maybe they help shed some light. The LNB is skewed as advised by RolfW.
Any further help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers.:)

Attachments

• 100_1208.jpg
    100_1208.jpg
    378.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_1211.jpg
    100_1211.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 100_1209.jpg
    100_1209.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_1210.jpg
    100_1210.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 28

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Oh yes - the wall is facing about S,S-E

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
On my elevation setings the dish has an A and B scale. Have I lined up the right one? (I've used the A scale).

I am going to check my wiring again. Is it possible to leave too long a hard wire when puttingon the F connecter?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I said 3 O'clock, not 9 O'clock, but having said that, you probably are not far away, as vertical is vertical no matter which way you turn the LNB.

Don't rely on the dish elevation scale, in many cases they are worse than useless, as they will mislead you. The coax core should extend up to four or five mm past the lip of the F connector.

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Hi. I know you said 3 o'clock frm the rear, which is 9 o'clock from in front? That's what I meant. Anyway, I'm not oen to give up so I figured the LNB was dodgy - I've just exchanged it. Actually, I have a good feeling, so here goes!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Rolf,
Based on the information above and the skew setting for 28e as per your original thread; using this LNb, what would you say the skew setting be for THOR....

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Still no luck. I am going to smash something in a minute!!)(-red

I will try the Thor skew and just keep trying. I have a new Portuguese MEO box and there is a signal meter I am hoping to trigger. I am assuming that when it says 'scanning...' it is actually scanning and not waiting for me to repeat the menus over and over again.

Apologies to everyone who thnks I'm stupid - I really appreciate everyone's help. i know that it will turn out to be some schoolboy error.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, I said
as you look at the dish from behind the LNB

You don't need to be scanning to see the strength and quality reading, just make sure that the receiver is set on a receivable transponder (not one on the americas beam).

mrtomato

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
Philips MEO box
65cm Fortec Star dish
Twin Fortec Star LNB
My Location
UK
Got it!! I tried the Thor skew setting and it worked!
Many thanks for all the help.
Now I've got to wait about 2-3 hours for my scrambled channels to unscramble.

Thanks everyone.