Anyone tried to make BIG dish at home?

I went ahead and painted the dish with enamel exterior porch and floor paint. It takes along time to dry. Today I put the dish out in the sun to dry.:cool:

I am making a 4" X 4" by 1 1/2" mounting plate and 2 5/16" pole. I'll place Patio blocks on it to hold it down.

Some new pictures. :-pointr
 
@Satcom1


i wish all my homemade antennas were nicelly done like yours:)

Will you test the antenna for C-Band satellite? when you expect to do the first test?
 
casser said:
@Satcom1


i wish all my homemade antennas were nicelly done like yours:)

Will you test the antenna for C-Band satellite? when you expect to do the first test?


Casser-

Pictures are deceiving, If you were here you would say " I could do better". :)

Rainy day today. O-zzz

I did go to the hardware store and have what I need to make an adjustable (azimuth/elevation) bracket to mount the dish.

Testing on the dish should begin this weekend. I will align the dish with the KU band signals first and then test for C-Band reception. I have a new receiver that is more sensative then the Twinhan 1025 PCI card. It will be intereseting to see how the dish works.

Here are todays pictures of the dish stand I made for the new dish, enjoy. :-pointr
 
Satcom1 said:
Casser-
Testing on the dish should begin this weekend. I will align the dish with the KU band signals first and then test for C-Band reception. I have a new receiver that is more sensative then the Twinhan 1025 PCI card. It will be intereseting to see how the dish works.

Hi Satcom:)

What is, in your opinion, the most sensitive receiver? I read somewhere that Twinhan SP 400 pci card has the most sensitive tuner, so what is better and what receiver do you have now? :cool:
 
divibi said:
Hi Satcom:)

What is, in your opinion, the most sensitive receiver? I read somewhere that Twinhan SP 400 pci card has the most sensitive tuner, so what is better and what receiver do you have now? :cool:

Hi Divibi-

Hope all is well with you, just wondered what kind of projects you like?

I can only speak from my own experience on the issue of STB vs PCI. The Twinhan 1025 is just as good as the KWorld PCI for sensativety but the 1025 does HDTV ATSC. The Coolsat 6000 Premium works so much better then the PC software like ProgDVB and DVBDream. PC software is always crashing. STB is better at Diseqc 1.0/1.1, 22Khz switch configuration. ProgDVB is useless for switches and DVBDream does switches but not HH Motors.:confused:

Most folks in US have STB and some have PCI and STB. I have not heard anything good on the US forums about Twinhan SP 400. Folks here are very interested in Tecnotrend PCI because it does all the new video compression, 8PSK/4.2.2 etc. Big interest in HDTV format, If card lacks good sensativety they use bigger dish. The Invacom LNBF's are most popular because of .03 Noise and Quality. Many use the QPH-031 which is circular and linear. The 90 cm dish is accepted by most wives here but 1 meter or bigger is frowned upon by the little lady. Makes for chilly relations or worse.)(-red
 
@SatCom1

Since you´re using a PCI card, try the FastSatFinder software it also support C-Band ..when i used a SkyStar, the software help me a lot checking the polarization/signal/etc of the antenna, i thought the antenna received both H/V polarization´s, but no...the LNB at 0º it received only V pol and at 90º received H pol. At 45º didint receive any pol.


But with your antenna that will not happen:)
 
There are plugins for everything, so both motor rotation, diseqc and other things are possible on most PCI DVB-S cards.
 
BombedOne said:
There are plugins for everything, so both motor rotation, diseqc and other things are possible on most PCI DVB-S cards.

BombedOne-

I hope all is going well for you there. I heard on RT that John McCain went to visit President of Georgia two weeks before war. Even worse, Our idiot George W. Bush is threatening Russia with missle installations in Poland and Ukraine. Maybe, we will have a change in government here that will help things. Our Republican party will do anything to scare public into keeping them in power. :confused:

Unfortunately, my PCI card uses the 878 device driver and not the WDM and is not compatable with "FastSatFinder" and other useful software. This is one of the primary reasons I went with a STB.:cool:
 
Getting ready for testing new dish.:)

In todays pictures you will see the mounting bracket that I fabricated. It uses simple hardware that was available from the local hardware store. The pipe mast has a hose clamp just below the mast brackets to prevent the assembly from slipping down and allows for easy azimuth rotation.

The large threaded U bolt is used to adjust elevation and has hex nuts on both sides of the plate.

I set the dish to south and then adjust the elevation with the board and protractor. My dish elevation is 42 degrees and I will select a strong satellite as close to south as possible. It's a good starting point.

Here are todays pictures- :-pointr
 
Satcom1, If no McCain and U.S. Government support, I wouldn't be alive now and making posts here :)

And please - listen to RT less, they always say false things (Very good Soviet Style propaganda). Regarding McCain, for your reference - he has Georgian citisenship, so can wisit Georgia anytime he likes to do it :)
 
BombedOne said:
Satcom1, If no McCain and U.S. Government support, I wouldn't be alive now and making posts here :)

And please - listen to RT less, they always say false things (Very good Soviet Style propaganda). Regarding McCain, for your reference - he has Georgian citisenship, so can wisit Georgia anytime he likes to do it :)

Off topic political stuff removed after consideration.

Anyway, have you checked out a Nigerian member called Okeme? He was building a 3M fibreglass dish when I last saw his posts...claimed to be getting Astra (not 2D of course) in Nigeria with a homemade dish!

Here you go:

_http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/fringe-reception-general/114339-hotbird-nigeria.html#post731598

It was Astra 1, but still good going....and there are sceptics but I believe it!
 
If anyone interested what really happend and see some eywithness data, we can open separate topic for it. Regarding our task, making the dish - today I made some tests. Results are attached as pictures, and here's some conclusions:

1. Quite precise work, needs lot of patience and steady hand.

2. Dangerous for health! epoxy in huge amounts releases styrol and other toxic fumes, you'll need airtight helmet, if doing indoors, or VERY WINDY weather, if outside.

3. I tried to use epoxy with fiberglass filler, this was my error, it has very low penetration rate, only reached down to two layers of my fiberglass net, while just a drop of ABRO™ transparent epoxy went down trough 8 layers without no problems.

4. If anyone tries to repeat this method, I'd suggest to use lowest dry speed, highest liquidity epoxy, to simplify the work (I watched "How things made" at discovery, guy was doing small sporting boat from fiberglass sheet. His epoxy was so thin, he was applying it just using plain brush)
 

Attachments

  • image001.webp
    image001.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 194
  • image002.webp
    image002.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image003.webp
    image003.webp
    32.1 KB · Views: 189
  • image004.webp
    image004.webp
    30.5 KB · Views: 190
  • image005.webp
    image005.webp
    93 KB · Views: 172
  • image006.webp
    image006.webp
    32.5 KB · Views: 152
  • image007.webp
    image007.webp
    89.6 KB · Views: 162
  • image008.webp
    image008.webp
    63.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image009.webp
    image009.webp
    112 KB · Views: 161
  • image010.webp
    image010.webp
    139.9 KB · Views: 167
If anyone interested what really happend and see some eywithness data, we can open separate topic for it. Regarding our task, making the dish - today I made some tests. Results are attached as pictures, and here's some conclusions:

BombedOne-

Regarding your dish project-

This is very interesting!

Please post more, thanks.

This looks very well made. :)
 
With a SF-95c+ Satellite Finder meter attached to the dish was adjusted for signal strength. The dish really lights up strong! Able to swing the dish across several satellites to my true south and had very strong readings. With my one meter dish the meter gain was set four to five times higher then with this dish. :)

Both KU and C bands are very strong. :cool:

Hope to have more data in a couple of days. O-Ha
 
Thanks everybody :)

Regarding this dish, I'll go more liquid epoxy and try to finish this one asap. After that, I'll try to polish it's internal side and cover it with aluminum powder. And finally, I'll try to make big (2 meters or more) positive concrete mould for dish. I'm writing down all expenses, so will post exact calculation of pricing also.
 
Satcom1 said:
With a SF-95c+ Satellite Finder meter attached to the dish was adjusted for signal strength. The dish really lights up strong! Able to swing the dish across several satellites to my true south and had very strong readings. With my one meter dish the meter gain was set four to five times higher then with this dish. :)

Both KU and C bands are very strong. :cool:

Hope to have more data in a couple of days. O-Ha
Hopefully it will work very well:)

If you can, post the measures of each ring, so i can simulate it in my university for C-Band..
 
casser said:
Hopefully it will work very well:)

If you can, post the measures of each ring, so i can simulate it in my university for C-Band..

The dish measures 47 3/4" diameter by 3 1/2" deep.

This dish suggests Fresnel and Scalar technology so conventional Parabola math would not be accurate.

I have no idea how to get individual ring data now that it is assembled.
 
My Zenith Satellite is Galaxy 28. I first set the dish with a compass, this method is not very accurate.

Then I go to the NOAA Sunrise/Sunset Calculator and input my Lat. & Long., this then gives me the exact time for solar noon. Then at that time of day, I move the dish so that the LNBF shadow is in the exact center of the dish axis. :)

Here are pictures of Prime Focus and Offset dishes using this method.:-pointr
 
Here is an example of how you can check your LNBF focus visually.:)

By placing three small mirrors around the dish at solar noon, you will be able to precisely focus your LNBF.

By using three coin sized mirrors they will all make overlaping images on the face of the LNBF. If they don't form one image, then something is out of adjustment. A cloverleaf pattern means the LNBF is too close or too far from the dish surface.

Here are pictures.:-pointr
 
This dish produces signal strengths of 98% on Coolsat 6000 Premium receiver. Sorry to say that that does not produce a usable KU or C-band signal, either linear or circular. :-deadhorse

It would make a dandy solar cooker with mirrored surface. :-rofl2:-rofl2

I will try to come up with a new parabolic dish that is simple to make and works really good for little cost and effort. :cool::cool:

It is valuable to know one more thing not to try. <--

Thanks for your interest in my project. :):)
 
Back
Top