Anyone Using T-REX on Fortecstar?

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I just bought the latest T-REX CAM and programmed it using the Dragon Loader card. It sort of works!

I was using AL7BAR firmware previously but that wasn't getting updated on the Fortecstar Ultimate so I bought the CAM. On supported channels AL7BAR worked great and displayed the channels quickly.

I have the latest Predator software installed correctly. Some channels work, others (which should) don't and some appear not to work, then they do work!

In these cases the screen says "Scrambled or bad channel" then several minutes later the channel tunes in. Sometimes it's good reception, other times it breaks up, freezes or switches frequently tunes in and out of the channel (loses picture, says "Scrambled or bad channel" then tunes back in again). Some of these are the same channels I was getting without problems on AL7BAR.

Am I doing something wrong? Are there compatibility problems with T-REX and Fortecstar? Is it normal for Predator firmware to take several minutes to tune in and often lose the channel after that?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I've got the same set-up: an Ultimate and T-rex (and I bought the T-rex for the exact same reason!) Actually I've got two Ultimates and one of them doesn't even work with the CAM - picture is constantly breaking up. I've tried both CAM slots and it makes no difference. On the other Ultimate I get the same problem with one of the slots and the other works fairly well on some packages/channels and not on others. It's really bad with a Sky viewing card and doesn't even work well with the adult card it comes with.

Both Ultimates were secondhand and I'm pretty sure they're to blame not the T-rex. Unfortunately I don't have another CI receiver to try the CAM in.

FWIW if I go to bed with a scrambled TV or radio channel on you can guarentee I'll wake up to a blank screen!

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully someone might know more about what's causing the problems than we do!

I can't work out how to use a Sky card in the T-REX. I've entered the number for the old sky box it belongs to, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The card is for the free channels only, but won't even decode CH4 & CH5, though these work on the Sky box.

How did you get yours working?

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Mines just for the FTV channels only too. Anyway, I know it sounds obvious but I have to ask - did you try putting the card in the other way up? It should go in upside down (ie the chip is facing upwards).

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, thanks I was putting it in with the contacts on the card facing upwards. Should I get CH4, CH5 etc and should I get the Sky EPG? If not, how do I know if it's working or not?

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
You should get Channel 4, Five and Sky Three. You'll only have now and next info for any of these channels though - no full EPG (Sky's system is proprietry).

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
fortec star fsci - 5100 ultra reciever. 2 cam slots.

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

loopthrough to Sky digital box.

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
I have a dragon cam with the predator software brought it for the same reason as you no updates to the al7bar software.

Apparently there is a compatabilty issue with fortec recievers.

Mine sometimes comes up with bad or scrambled when i channel hop only once in a while though.

Found switching the al7bar software off and only having display timeout up for 5 secs reduced how often it occurs.

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
It looks like there must be a compatibility issue. I had set the AL7BAR software uninstalled and the timeout set to 5 secs already. I changed timeout to 3 secs which has helped a bit more. It must be possible to patch the Fortecstar firmware so it doesn't screw up with a Dragoncam.

I know Fortecstar receivers are compatible with Pansat models, but not sure which models are compatible with which. Perhaps trying the correct Pansat firmware might help?

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for the info on the channel guide. I had hoped I would get the Sky one! I still can't get Channels 4 & 5 but I might mess around over the weekend a bit more to see what's wrong here.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Hi Lads, Not trying to hi-jack your thread but seeing as you are all experts on Fortecstar receiver's can you tell me if it is possible to "patch" the Fortecstar Lifetime Classic FTA receiver.

It's not for me but someone asked if it's possible to receive the TPS channels from Hotbird, and as I don't have this type of receiver I thought it best to ask the experts.:D

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
You need a copy of the AL7BAR replacement firmware for the receiver. You will find this easily through any search engine. There are tools which allow you to upload the firmware to your receiver.

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
problem is it hasnt been updated for a while and inputting the keys on a daily basis to get channels such as multivision isnt possible as there isnt enough digits on the fortec software for AES keys if i remember correctly.

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
Dont know about the pansat compatibility, im guessing your clock doesnt stay correct another al7bar bug. I would put mine back to factory if the software would talk with my box but as of yet havent managed to do it.
Got my other halfs laptop for a bit so may give it a shot later.

tigertail100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skystar2 + FortectStar 5100 ultra 85cm motorised
My Location
Midlands
Does not work , unless you eject cam and re-insert after every channel change , this is one frustrating hobby ,bring back the crystal set

benbecula33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I tried a Pansat bin in mine and it locked up! Never mind, it's fun experimenting!

nathanvtr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
tigertail100 said:
Does not work , unless you eject cam and re-insert after every channel change , this is one frustrating hobby ,bring back the crystal set

Shouldnt do it after every channel change set your timout to the lowest setting which is 5 secs i think and wait for it to go off screen before you switch channels, i have gone several days sometimes with no problems failing that just turn to one of the full x channels and wait a sec will make the cam re-initialise, saves having to get up eh:)

gzappa

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 7800
Technomate 1500+ super
Technomate 7655
Technomate 5500 super
Fortec star 5100 ultra
lemon 030 ci
My Location
Suffolk
I allso have problems with dragon cam and fortec star. It seems to work on all chanells, but as soon as you put cam in, picture goes very grainy like bad analogue reception.(fortec star 5100 Ultra).

Yorks

Mentally unstable.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pretend to know what I'm doing. Only the clever ones rumble me.
My Location
S. Yorks
Have you turned off the keycode function on the Fortec?