Arabsat 3A

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Daft question proberbly,If a pf dish pointed at the Astra Cluster 28.2deg,whats the chances of receiving Arabsat at 26deg on the same dish?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Never tried it personally Dave but with my humble set up I can position on 6deg East and easily receive Eutelsat W3A at 7 deg East and Sirius at 5deg East so another 0.2 degree may do it depending on your dish size. For pf do we read prime focus? as that will lose you a bit of signal in comparison to offset

dave branson

Reaction score
My Location
Florence Italy
Thanks,I will try scanning when i get home,Dish size is 1.8 IRTE Prime Focus.

J

Jeff_19341

Larger the dish, tighter the beamwidth, a nats off and you've lost signal. Saying that you never know your luck and stranger things happen etc etc.

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
dave branson said:
Daft question proberbly,If a pf dish pointed at the Astra Cluster 28.2deg,whats the chances of receiving Arabsat at 26deg on the same dish?

Hi,

you can get a Prime Focus Dish to work with multiple feeds just like an Offset Dish with Multi LNB's. The problem is that most Prime Focus Dishes around for Sat TV have a low Focal Length to Diameter Ratio and this means they are less tolerant to Feed Offset in Wavelengths. It could possibly work if you have good signals from both 28.2E and 26E but be aware that you will also add additional feed blockage to the reflector with the additional LNB etc and your overall gain will appear reduced.

The 2 main factors governing how well this works are the Dish F/D and the Offset in Wavelengths not degrees. Good luck.

Cheers.