Arabsat & Nilesat Reception in U.K.

Hi,

was it hard to receive the Nilesat signal?.

I've been trying to get a signal on a 1.8 m dish in Norfolk, but all i vain. Do u have any tips?
I only managed to get hotbird and astra, which are strong with a smaller size dish.

Thanks in advance.
 
Thanks for the reply.

It is a fixed system, and it says on the manual that the LNB should be 68.2 cm away from the centre of the dish. That is the only guidline i work by.

i did manage to get the right arc, hence being able to receive Hotbird, and i assume they are on the same arc, aren't they?
 
hlse said:
Thanks for the reply.

It is a fixed system, and it says on the manual that the LNB should be 68.2 cm away from the centre of the dish. That is the only guidline i work by.

i did manage to get the right arc, hence being able to receive Hotbird, and i assume they are on the same arc, aren't they?

Do the following and go to that website I send you. You will find a link there called heavens-above.com and search for your exact position and enter this into the calculator. Since I do not know were you live I used Edinburgh for an example:

On Hotbird your dish is 17,66 degrees east so exact 17,66 away from total south. Use a compass to find south. Nilesat is 4,15 degrees west from "0". So turn your dish 17,66 + 4,15 = 21,81 degress to the west if you are on Hotbird. Use a compass for that. Now you should have a proper position. On the evaluation use the scale on the mirror. On hotbird your scale should show something like 26,23 degrees. Change it on Nilesat to 24,69 degress. The last thing you have to do is change the tilt of the LNB. What I mean is you have to turn it in the holder slightly to the left or right till you get a signal. Do not leave in straight. The calculator says for Nilesat + 2,56 degrees. which might be right or left. On hotbird it says - 10,68 so you have to turn it opposite direction for Nilesat.

Good luck with it. Hotbird and Astra have strong signals and you do not have to be that accurate to get a signal. But you have to for Nilesat since it is a weak signal. Besides you should receive a lot more satellites than those two. I get about 25-30 Satellites.

Cheers
Claasi
 
Hi all,

I am in the NW UK with a 2m NERA Prime Focus Dish and I receive the following:

Nilesat
Vertical is fine except during heavy rain and 11747V is the strongest transponder.
Horizontal is not receivable normally although I do see 11919H occassionally.

Arabsat
2D is not receivable
3A Horizontal and Vertical transponders are easily receivable and much stronger than Nilesat.

Cheers.
 
2m is overkill for Arabsat 3A in the UK. I can get it on an 80 cm, although a 1m would be better for more rain fade capability.
 
Analoguesat said:
2m is overkill for Arabsat 3A in the UK.

Exactly what the post says "3A Horizontal and Vertical transponders are easily receivable and much stronger than Nilesat."
 
ouagadougou said:
Exactly what the post says "3A Horizontal and Vertical transponders are easily receivable and much stronger than Nilesat."

But your post didnt say that you can get away with a smaller dish. It reads like you need a 2m dish.... :D

Not that it really matters - its just in the interpretation of how somethings written.

I'l, be moving my 1m dish off 5E over the summer round onto 26E for a change, so it will be interesting to see how much stronger the signals are.
 
Hi,

It is possible to receive Nilesat in the UK, Im in Bognor Regis on the south coast and have a 1.8mtr Fortec Star 6 petal dish, 0.3db LNB and Humax VA-Fox receiver although i have the following problems:

All Vertical channels are available unless we have severe rain
Horizontal channels are available from 9pm until the morning

I have tried peaking the dish, changing the LNB but i think with a better receiver we could pull in the weak signal. Is there a receiver with a skew control?? bring back analogue and my LT8700
 
BRIANISFATBOYSLIM said:
Hi,

It is possible to receive Nilesat in the UK, Im in Bognor Regis on the south coast and have a 1.8mtr Fortec Star 6 petal dish, 0.3db LNB and Humax VA-Fox receiver although i have the following problems:

All Vertical channels are available unless we have severe rain
Horizontal channels are available from 9pm until the morning

I have tried peaking the dish, changing the LNB but i think with a better receiver we could pull in the weak signal. Is there a receiver with a skew control?? bring back analogue and my LT8700

The answer is to get a bigger dish. If you cant get a bigger dish do without.
 
All Vertical channels are available unless we have severe rain
Horizontal channels are available from 9pm until the morning

You are still doing very well :-clap as most people in the UK only recieve the vertical transponders and then only weakly on some of them.



L.:)
 
BRIANISFATBOYSLIM said:
Is there a receiver with a skew control?? bring back analogue and my LT8700

Echostar AD3600ip or the earlier AD3000 if you can find one. Technomate does one too.

But then you need an LNB coupled with a polariser/polarotor and attendant cabling. My SMW 0.7 LNB/polariser was the bees knees before changing to a universal, I miss being able to skew up on the sats at the extreme end of the arc. That's progress I suppose.

Llew
 
hlse said:
Hi,

was it hard to receive the Nilesat signal?.

I've been trying to get a signal on a 1.8 m dish in Norfolk, but all i vain. Do u have any tips?
I only managed to get hotbird and astra, which are strong with a smaller size dish.

Thanks in advance.

If you are still trying, one suggestion. After hotbird try to get the next satellites like sirius, thor, w3 etc to the west one by one. Most have stronger signal. Then you will get close to nilesat. A signal meter will be essential I think. I receive the vertical channels clearly with a 1m dish and Sharp 0.3 db lnb near bornemouth.

regards, pcd.
 
I set up my dish to Atlantic Bird 3 5deg west, although the channels are transmitted in secam it it an analogue signal so easier to locate. Then i switched to my digital receiver and move the dish slightly to the west.
 
Hi
Sorry if I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but can anyone state if the following transponders can be recieved in the UK and the signal strength :

11804H 27500 3/4 - Nilesat 101
11881H 27500 3/4 - Nilesat 101
12303H 27500 3/4 - Nilesat 102

I know most of the discussion has stated that the H-beam stuff is non existent, but I noted that some partial sucess was observed with a 1.8m dish.

I've had the V-transponders on a 1.2m prodelin dish, and was *thinking* of obtaining the 1.8m fortecstar petalised dish for the above - if worthwhile.

If anyone could check the specifc transponders I could then decide whether to spend or save the cash !

BTW I'm in hainault, Ilford.

Thx
mupi
 
mupi said:
Hi
Sorry if I'm ressurecting an old thread here, but can anyone state if the following transponders can be recieved in the UK and the signal strength :

11804H 27500 3/4 - Nilesat 101
11881H 27500 3/4 - Nilesat 101
12303H 27500 3/4 - Nilesat 102

I know most of the discussion has stated that the H-beam stuff is non existent, but I noted that some partial sucess was observed with a 1.8m dish.

I've had the V-transponders on a 1.2m prodelin dish, and was *thinking* of obtaining the 1.8m fortecstar petalised dish for the above - if worthwhile.

If anyone could check the specifc transponders I could then decide whether to spend or save the cash !

BTW I'm in hainault, Ilford.

Thx
mupi


For the difference in price, I would go for the 2.4m fortec star petalised. The horizontal channels are so far down on the verticals that I wouldnt have thought a 1.8m would come close in the UK.
However, I am near Manchester, and the signals on this satellite do vary enourmously over a short distance.
I would maybe try a local dealer with a 1.8m dish to see if it is at all possible before you buy.

I still havent upgraded my lnb. By resurecting this thread you have spurred me on. Going to sort out an Invocom c120 and feed this week. I will report back on the improvement over my old cambridge 0.7db!
 
Thanks pocster2 - I was certainly going to see if the local sat store could try this. Those freq's have some channels that I'd subscribe to if there was a chance that they were viewable. From the sounds of other comments and threads on Nilesat I suspect the chances are slim -:(
 
mupi said:
Thanks pocster2 - I was certainly going to see if the local sat store could try this. Those freq's have some channels that I'd subscribe to if there was a chance that they were viewable. From the sounds of other comments and threads on Nilesat I suspect the chances are slim -:(

Thanks to yourself and a few others posting on these forums I have taken stock of a few things and come to a few conclusions.

I searched and found a post reorting that the Fortec dishes were poor performers. I found a post stating they were ok if set up properley. Here comes the good bit. No matter what i do I can't get the parabola into shape and the feedhorn doesnt want to situate itself at the (calculated) focal point. Lots of research, lots of maths!

Don't get me wrong, im talking about a millimetre or two out here or there between each panel , but I think thats enough diffrence when you are dealing with fringe reception.

Since my last post I have been doing alot of research and my conclusion is that the fortec dish is only marginally better than my old Connexions 1.6m prime focus in terms of received signal. I am sorry if my last post was in any way an endorsment of the dish.

I am now looking for alternative ideas to receive the channels I require.

Regarad, Paul
 
84 channels vertical only 1.1dish 46% good picture though. :) have not tweaked anything. but thats all I expect.
 
Hi old satellite,
I'am thinking of getting a 2.4 Dish i live in the uk < kent>
do you think i can get all the Horizonatl channels for Nilesat?? <showtime/nilesat channels>
please advise me
cheers. winkle
 
winkle nobody can give you any kind of guarantee of reception, when you are on the fringe of the reception area...... can you see the UK on this map here ???? no so why do you think a 2.4 will be big enough? You may get reception on some H channels on the other hand you may not.
 
Back
Top