ART and the legality

Apollo747

Reaction score
Greetings all.
If I was to buy the ART subscription package, then can I show live football 'in a club' to around 150 people? At the moment I subscribe to S*Y paying around £10K annually for the 'corporate' package. So does the ART subscription limit you to 'one on one' viewing or unlimited viewing.
Kind regards
Rad.

daveenty

Irregular Member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Plaza ST550
Dragon 4.1,
Cas2 + Add on.
Mastera card progger.
Lots of Ice Scrapers :-)
My Location
North West UK
Morning Rad,

I asked this question here a few months back, and the general concencus was *not really*! (Thanks Rolf)
You'll probably get away with the early and late games, but the 3.00 PM is a definite NO.
The FA themselves made this one clear to stop people going to the pub instead of supporting local teams..
In the end it's up to you, but will the bar take outweigh the (up to £2500.00) fine?
As for the early ones, strictly speaking you've paid a legitimate subscription, but you're in the wrong country. Now if some of your members were Morrocan???

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well, if you go to This Site, they say that provided you do not show the matches in the proscribed period on Satudays (3pm kickoffs), and you are using a legally obtained subscription from ART, then you are OK.

They do however have an axe to grind, as they sell the equipment and subscriptions and do not mention that the subscription you buy is a domestic one and does not carry any rights to re-broadcast the content whatsoever, which is what you would be doing by showing it to 150 people and also that they do not hold copyright for the UK.

Apollo747

Reaction score
Thanks Dave & Ralf for your replies. Will give this some thought. Why is it that Sky can show 3.00 pm kick-offs but others cannot (or not legally)? Is it because Sky 'own' the premier league? Who supplies the feeds to ART.... would it be Sky?
Regards
Rad

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Apollo74 said:
Why is it that Sky can show 3.00 pm kick-offs

Sky don't show 3 o'clock kick-offs.

Apollo747

Reaction score
Rob said:
Sky don't show 3 o'clock kick-offs.

Thanks Rob for pointing out my embarrassing quote. I misread the link posted earlier and got side-tracked... assuming it was a 'Sky' site.

Rad

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
No problem Rad, we have all done some embarrassing quotes from time to time, none more so than me ! :-doh!

demo316

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothin yet :(
My Location
england
As i understand it sky own the copyright to 3pm kick-offs and broadcasts...the only channel on sky platform that shows 3pm football legally to there subscribers is Setana (R.O.I) the rest is picked up from feeds mean't for brodcast outside of the U.K..

If you buy a ART card and use it in your home for you and friends and family there is virtually no chance of getting into trouble...because as i have read sky have to send people to view the actual programs being broadcast then build a case after that...thats what happened to a pub near me anyway.........

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
as far as i see it, if you have a club, ie locked out to the general public. i cant see a problem

if you make sure that everyone who is there before kick off is a member. then you cant be caught, as long as a rep from sky cant walk in 10 mins into kick off :)

my local landlord does the same thing.. he charged £1 for the year and gave customers a membership card.
then on saturdays he has one part of the pub open all day to the public, and then the other part you have to be a paid up member (ie a local regular who we all know). he is already subscibed to sky twice!! once in his living quarters and in his pub too... paying a fortune...
this works for him as the pub is a footballing pub, and is packed everytime a game is on.
his rule is simple, if Man City are AWAY, then they are shown live... if United are AWAY then they are live. this is fair on everyone, and doesnt fuel the argument that hes taking people away from live games.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
RedDevil_UK said:
his rule is simple, if Man City are AWAY, then they are shown live... if United are AWAY then they are live. this is fair on everyone, and doesnt fuel the argument that hes taking people away from live games.

Ah, but the rule is not there to protect the big clubs in the Premiership, it is there to protect the clubs in the lower divisions. Still don't reckon that the above method of showing is foolproof, as it only takes another landlord who notices an exodus from his pub on a regular basis, to blow the whistle and there is always a customer who will brag about watching the games.

demo316

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
nothin yet :(
My Location
england
rolfw said:
Ah, but the rule is not there to protect the big clubs in the Premiership, it is there to protect the clubs in the lower divisions. Still don't reckon that the above method of showing is foolproof, as it only takes another landlord who notices an exodus from his pub on a regular basis, to blow the whistle and there is always a customer who will brag about watching the games.

Think bragging or grassing another premesis up is hearsay..they need to have solid proof i.e watch a few screenings afaik...